It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hello all
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:35 am 
Gongfarmer

FLGS: Myth Adventures
Hi everyone!

I apologize in advance for the long backstory :P

I was raised a pastor's kid in central pennsylvania during the mid 80's and 90's, and role playing games were an absolutely forbidden thing for me. My town was so small that I had to have a secret library card so that I could check out books without my mother or parish finding out. :lol: I never got the chance to play an RPG until I hit high school, and even then I had to travel about 45 minutes to play in a 3e RPGA
living campaign. I still remember my mom finding my blue RPGA card in my wallet, and I assured her it was for "Regional Programs (for) Graduate Applicants".

I eventually left for the military and played off and on with different systems for a few years. I remember seeing the 3E DCC modules in a local shop and thinking how cool they looked. I never ended up purchasing one though, as I never had a solid group, and they probably wouldn't want something so "old school". I eventually walked away from gaming altogether due to work and having three daughters. I could never find the time or group that I needed, so I figured it was a lost cause.

I retired from the military 2 years ago, and was having a hard time interacting with others and being in social situations due to some issues. It was a burden on my family, and I really didn't do a whole lot of anything.

I then came across Dungeon Crawl Classics.

It was like an absolute blast from the past. The art, and and the general feeling of the whole game, made me feel like I was sneaking old copies of TSR books from my childhood library.
I liked the fact that it did not hold your hand, and put a bigger focus on exploration other than being bogged down with hour long tactical combats. I liked the fact that it relied more on player skill instead of having rolls for everything. Most of all, i liked that it made ME feel better. The 2018 road crew games seemed like a super cool idea, and something that I could do. I decided to take the plunge, and contact a local comic shop to see if they would let me run a weekly game. I made sure that it was advertised publically through their store and on social media, as this forced me to be there every week even if I wanted to just stay home. So far we are on week, 6 and my players are having an amazing time with a game style different than what they are used to. It also has allowed me to teach my daughters something I am passionate about, and has allowed me to re-connect with them in a way that's good for all of us.

So this wall of text and (if I may say so, sappy :roll: ) introduction has two goals. I'm glad I can join in with a community of like minded role players, and to tell Goodman Games,

Thank you.

Hope to meet everybody at the tables someday!!!!

Post subject: Re: Hello all
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:52 am 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

FLGS: Quantum Games
Fantacide wrote:
Hi everyone!

I apologize in advance for the long backstory :P

I was raised a pastor's kid in central pennsylvania during the mid 80's and 90's, and role playing games were an absolutely forbidden thing for me. My town was so small that I had to have a secret library card so that I could check out books without my mother or parish finding out. :lol: I never got the chance to play an RPG until I hit high school, and even then I had to travel about 45 minutes to play in a 3e RPGA
living campaign. I still remember my mom finding my blue RPGA card in my wallet, and I assured her it was for "Regional Programs (for) Graduate Applicants".

I eventually left for the military and played off and on with different systems for a few years. I remember seeing the 3E DCC modules in a local shop and thinking how cool they looked. I never ended up purchasing one though, as I never had a solid group, and they probably wouldn't want something so "old school". I eventually walked away from gaming altogether due to work and having three daughters. I could never find the time or group that I needed, so I figured it was a lost cause.

I retired from the military 2 years ago, and was having a hard time interacting with others and being in social situations due to some issues. It was a burden on my family, and I really didn't do a whole lot of anything.

I then came across Dungeon Crawl Classics.

It was like an absolute blast from the past. The art, and and the general feeling of the whole game, made me feel like I was sneaking old copies of TSR books from my childhood library.
I liked the fact that it did not hold your hand, and put a bigger focus on exploration other than being bogged down with hour long tactical combats. I liked the fact that it relied more on player skill instead of having rolls for everything. Most of all, i liked that it made ME feel better. The 2018 road crew games seemed like a super cool idea, and something that I could do. I decided to take the plunge, and contact a local comic shop to see if they would let me run a weekly game. I made sure that it was advertised publically through their store and on social media, as this forced me to be there every week even if I wanted to just stay home. So far we are on week, 6 and my players are having an amazing time with a game style different than what they are used to. It also has allowed me to teach my daughters something I am passionate about, and has allowed me to re-connect with them in a way that's good for all of us.

So this wall of text and (if I may say so, sappy :roll: ) introduction has two goals. I'm glad I can join in with a community of like minded role players, and to tell Goodman Games,

Thank you.

Hope to meet everybody at the tables someday!!!!

Welcome to the community. You'll find we're all quite mad, here.