Harley Stroh DCC Adventures + Blackmoor

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Murlynd
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Harley Stroh DCC Adventures + Blackmoor

Post by Murlynd »

I was setting things up for a possible new campaign placed in Blackmoor under Dungeon Crawl. I notice that Harley had some interest in Blackmoor in the past. Any suggestions concerning his adventures (Harley himself if he stops by the forum) or others for a Blackmoor campaign?

Has anyone posted some patrons (Egg of Coot, etcetera) or other Dungeon Crawl specific details for the setting someplace? Didn't find any searching here. I plan to use a fair number of adventures written by others, many likely by Harley from Goodman. Mutant Crawl suggestions or ideas might be ok too for certain parts of Blackmoor.

I'll be using the map from the old TSR module, the 12 mile hex one, with information from those modules and a little bit from the old Judges Guild content specific to the setting. Right now I'll set-up the 0-level funnel in the core book, since the players haven't seen it before, probably followed by Tower of the Black Pearl for the first 1st level one. I haven't settled upon the location of these on the map of Blackmoor.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Harley Stroh DCC Adventures + Blackmoor

Post by GnomeBoy »

Not knowledgeable enough about Blackmoor to provide any real help on that...

...but I do love Tower of the Black Pearl as a campaign starter, given all the results you can get from the candles...!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
James Mishler
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by James Mishler »

First, there is a bunch of good fan materials on the Vaults of Pandius, which is dedicated to Mystara and includes Blackmoor:

Blackmoor section of Vaults of Pandius

Second, there are a ton of good adventure ideas just found on the various iterations of the Blackmoor maps and in the illustrations in the JG version of Blackmoor. The ruins of the Temple of Id are a whole adventure site, and who hasn't always wanted to go hunting for Balor eggs?

Finally, Rob Conley's Blackmarsh is a mash note to the classic Blackmoor setting, so you can get all sorts of good stuff from there, too:

Rob Conley's Blackmarsh

If you are unaware, Rob wrote the two "Points of Light" books for Goodman Games. These too might provide all sorts of excellent old-school adventure ideas that can be lifted wholesale for your Blackmoor DCC campaign.

Points of Light 1

Points of Light 2: The Sunrise Sea

There have also been a number of 3E, 4E, and I think even 5E releases for Blackmoor officially, by different companies, but these are all chock full of later system-style stuff, and otherwise reprise what came before, and thus may not be as useable.
James Mishler
Personal Gameblog: http://adventuresingaming2.blogspot.com
Murlynd
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Murlynd »

Oh Dang! I forgot about Blackmarsh! I have that in hard copy. It is the Heroes and Other Worlds edition (A nice game), but that would be a good place to pull some ideas alright. Good call out.

Very true about the temple of Id. You know what I so often end up doing with those special places on a map? Save them for when the characters get higher level, but like the DCC book talks about that often pushes those ideas out of the campaign altogether, if the characters never get that high or the campaign heads in its own direction, as is so often the case. In the spirit of this game, I should try to place those special locations in the campaign as soon as possible, not worrying about future finale style adventures.

I have the 4th edition Blackmoor book. A lot of the actual details are what they are from Arneson, being a little spare over-all. So, I understand why there is a lot of reiteration in the later edition content. I like the map from the old modules, and I have the old hardcopies of them from back in the day and all.

I have heard of people using Gamma World to run Blackmoor campaigns. I think the setting would be an interesting place for Mutant Crawl to explore. Maybe put it on the request list to Wizards.

Thanks James and GnomeBoy too!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

When I think of Blackmoor it's always Arneson's "First Fantasy Campaign" instead of the Mystara version. I like to keep things close to the original source material, if possible.

I'd love to see a DCC version of the Blackmoor campaign. That would be awesome!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
mikemcf
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Ettin Games

Post by mikemcf »

https://plus.google.com/108941561170203 ... CFETgJyncz

Hope the link works. I've created a blank, or player's map for Blackmarsh. I too think it a good setting for DCC!

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Nice map! Blackmarsh is a great setting, and if I remember correctly Rob's map is B&W instead of color. This is a great addition. :D
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”