Creatures from 1978 Monster Manual in modules? Help!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

chingdog
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: keep

Creatures from 1978 Monster Manual in modules? Help!

Post by chingdog »

Hi, I was thinking about purchasing some of the Dungeon Crawl Classics modules between 1 and 52. I am a fan of the classic AD & D modules such as Against The Giants, Keep on Borderlands, and Ghost Tower of Inverness. My question is...which of the DCC modules contain the most old school monsters in them? Stuff like Umber Hulks, Owlbears, Mind Flayers, Xorn, Trolls, and such? The only two I own are #6 Temple of the Dragon Cult which I liked for the most part....and # 30 Vault of the Dragon Kings which I was not all that happy with. Vault of the Dragon Kings was a solid adventure with some nice touches but almost all the creatures were new monsters or variations of some old creatures. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated if you could refer maybe the top 4 or 5 modules that would fit what I am looking for...Thanks! :)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Creatures from 1978 Monster Manual in modules? Help!

Post by GnomeBoy »

So your preference is for the 3x era modules that have 'classic' monsters in them...?

At this point in time, it's a bit of a homework assignment to work up a list! I have several of those older adventures, but I can't off the top of my head say which ones are heavily populated by "AD&D" monsters...

Blackguard's Revenge had a lot of wights and zombies in it, and Dragonfiend Pact had a very prominent pseudodragon... Nothing else springs to mind without doing research.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Murlynd
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Murlynd »

Wizards' games aren't my thing, but I did use some of the older Goodman modules under other games, with conversion. If you are looking to have a more standard D&D selection of monsters, I would suggest getting Castle Whiterock. It has plenty of application for that sort of campaign, with a good AD&D feel to it. Might get more answers if moved over to the D&D 3e modules section, though.
chingdog
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: keep

Post by chingdog »

Ok...thank for the info!

Return to “DCC RPG General”