Werewolves?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Checkyboy
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Bayshore Hobbies

Werewolves?

Post by Checkyboy »

Hey folks ... I noticed there was a wereboar in the Shudder Mountains module, and it got me thinking ... werewolves?

First, how to twist them a little, to make then DCC-weird, and secondly, how to handle the curse of lycanthropy ...

Anyone got any suggestions, or has something already been published?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Werewolves?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I believe that, when David Baity's Dark Trails comes out, you will be pleased.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Checkyboy
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Bayshore Hobbies

Post by Checkyboy »

Looks promising ... but no release date :( Fingers crossed!

I was thinking a cool way to do the curse of lycanthropy ... if a lycanthropy rolls a 6 on a d6 bite, the victim is afflicted. Each day thereafter, make a DC 18 Fort save, if they succeed they are cured, if they fail they lose 1d4 Personality permanently as the animalistic curse takes over their personality.

If a person is below 8 Personality, shift to Chaotic alignment. If a person is below 5 Personality, they succumb to lycanthropy and change the next full moon.

Thoughts?
BernieTheFlumph
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by BernieTheFlumph »

Sounds like a good reason for someone to write up a Werewolf class.

*Ponders* Hmmm...
-Josh Burnett-
Bernie the Flumph
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I've been making notes for an adventure which would feature lycanthropy as a central theme... but it's way too scattered to share at the moment...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Jo1087
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Dragon’s Lair (Austin, TX)

Post by Jo1087 »

Thanks for sharing Dark Trails! Weird-Western settings are my favorite! My first was Werewolf in the Wild West. This most likely will be Go-To setting once released. The creator, David Baity states that he will running a Kickstarter after he has majority of the setting completed. Hopefully by the beginning of summer. This project will most likely fund with ease based on how supportive the Goodman Games community is.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

I've been pondering how the game Werewolf could be adapted to an RPG. The card game, mind you, a werewolf version of Murder Handshake or Mafia. The players all get a card they keep secret, telling them if they're a villager, a werewolf, or something else (ie: hunter, sage, prince in disguise, etc.). Everyone closes their eyes, the werewolves decide who they kill, the others do their thing, and the villagers wake to see who has been killed during the night... and trade theories on who are the werewolves and then LYNCH them. You keep going until you've run out of werewolves or villagers.

It reminds me of a 0-level funnel, but for the life of me I can't think how to make it work as an RPG without long stretches of a player not in control of their character. Why would anyone go to sleep if they think there's a werewolf? The sensible thing would be to lock everyone in cages the wolves can't get into, watch everyone else that night, and whoever is a werewolf gets taken out. Or something like that. The gist of it is how do you separate people without (a) railroading or (b) spoiling the surprise?

Maybe everyone has to get to their cottages because they're assigned to go there, and not doing so is deadly (ie: you need to get home to take your medications, or avoid a blizzard, and you can only use *your* cottage)?

But that's not a normal 0-level village!

It's a pickle...

Return to “DCC RPG General”