I've joined the band....any advice?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

bat
Far-Sighted Wanderer

I've joined the band....any advice?

Post by bat »

A local bar, in the interest of getting away from the overused sports bar theme has been in contact and I'll be running a game there every Thursday night starting on December 7th. I sat in on a game of 3.5 from another guy who will be running that at another table and I'm looking to blow that game away with DCC (I was going to run Hackmaster 5e or Starfinder, but I've run DCC before and it is just FUN). I haven't signed up for the road crew yet, but as this is a certainty I will before the game kicks off. Any advice or suggestions for a grand start?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: I've joined the band....any advice?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You can't go wrong with Sailors on the Starless Sea or Frozen in Time as initial funnels. There are a ton of other good funnels, though, so choose something you'll enjoy running.

I would pregenerate zero-level PCs using the Purple Sorcerer aps, then cut them into individual character sheets (i.e., four per sheet into four separate quarter-sheets). Bring extra dice....you may consider investing in large dice so that you can make sure you get them back.

Bring up spending Luck as soon as it becomes a good idea for a PC to do so. Let 0-level PCs spend their last point of Luck to accomplish something before dying gloriously.

Roll your dice in the open....and make the players roll damage for the monsters when their PCs are hit.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
bat
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bat »

Thank you for the advice! I do have a bunch of zero level cards and I was planning on pre-generating a bunch of characters, more than are needed and tossing in a few oddballs so that they players can see that it isn't like what they are used to. I do have two sets of dice and the Purple Sorcerer phone app to use as well. I was thinking of mashing House of Gnoles (who thought that Gygax used these for Gnolls?, HA!) with Sailors on the Sunless Sea and letting the players decide what happens then we go from there.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You're welcome!

The best advice is, of course, to relax, have fun, and roll with whatever the players decide to do!

The best games go places that the judge isn't expecting...... :lol:
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
bat
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bat »

This is true and with DCC much easier to handle the bizarro choices made by players. Thanks again!

Return to “DCC RPG General”