Combat / encounter tracker for DCC

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

mytruehero
Gongfarmer

Combat / encounter tracker for DCC

Post by mytruehero »

Whenever I run a combat encounter, I get tripped up scribbling down initiative, parsing NPC stats and abilities, and keeping track of HP. Just enough to make things feel a little clunky. So, I made myself a combat tracker for DCC and figured I'd share it with y'all.

It has a column for initiative; blocks for three different monsters with their stats, attacks, crit info, and HP boxes for up to six instances of each monster; and some spots for notes. It's a first draft, so let me know if you have ideas for changes that would make it more useful.

http://holonet.node489.imv12.s3.amazona ... racker.pdf
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Combat / encounter tracker for DCC

Post by GnomeBoy »

Often I use index cards, one card for each PC, and maybe one or two for monster/NPC initiatives.

Roll initiative, write down the relevant result for each card, sort them, and then just roll through them card by card as the rounds go on... The cards are large enough to re-use each for several game sessions, just crossing out the old initiative and writing in the new one.

Sounds like you could use something like that, with a card for each monster/NPC, so you have the stats right in front of you...

I like your design, but for me it would require jotting down each monster ahead of time to avoid stopping the game to make use of that part of the sheet. And since I wouldn't really know what directions players might go, I'd have to generate a sheet for each possible encounter -- that's a lot of prep time!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Bacon the Zealot
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: The Citadel RPG

Post by Bacon the Zealot »

I just wanted to say that I love your encounter tracking sheet. I use it for both DCC games and Pathfinder games. Especially when using a module, I can easily write up each encounter ahead of time so that when players reach that area I can just pull out the matching encounter sheet and get the combat moving.
Shawn720
Gongfarmer
FLGS: The Game Store

Post by Shawn720 »

We use the simple fast play method

Players roll for initiative each turn

Player who wins initiative quickly places pointer in front of them selecting direct of play that round. (clockwise or counter clockwise), then take their turn.

Initiative then rotates to the next player or Judge in selected direction with each player resolving all characters or monsters they control.

* Judge doesn't need to roll initiative, reduces bookkeeping, reduces combat delays by tabletop tacticians and speeds battles.
matrixenforcer
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Game On

Post by matrixenforcer »

I love this sheet. I am planning on using it for my road crew games. I plan on writing the monster stats on the paper and put them in sheet protectors so I can write on them and then reuse them the next time I run the adventure. I know this is a super old post, but thanks for sharing this sheet.
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Looking for one that doesn't withhold games from customers.

Post by Bobjester »

I thought I had a copy of this in my DCC folder, but apparently, I do not! But I do now, thanks to matrixenforcer's post, and my email topic notifications. :)
“The wounds received in battle bestow honor, they do not take it away...”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Archade
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Forbes Hobbies

Post by Archade »

I use a laminated combat track on two 8 1/2 x 11 inch pages, and give each player a coloured counter ... everyone can see it, and I can get them to self manage ... here's a variant of it ...

https://archadestower.blogspot.com/2018 ... track.html

Return to “DCC RPG General”