Earthdawn as a DCC setting?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Antononymous
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Ettin Games

Earthdawn as a DCC setting?

Post by Antononymous »

I was going through boxes in storage and came across some of the rule books for Earthdawn, FASA's 90s take on fantasy RPGs. It struck me that the concept behind Earthdawn would lend itself really well to DCC. For those who haven't played, basically the world was overrun by magical monsters (called Horrors) and everyone went into hiding in underground 'kaers' for generations. Now that the Horrors are (mostly) gone, adventurers emerge from the kaers to explore lost civilizations and discover magical treasure.

The biggest challenge I see in adapting Earthdawn for DCC is in the race/class department -- namely, Earthdawn has several races not represented in Dungeon Crawl. There are Trolls and Orks, but also Obsidimen (rock beings), Windlings (fairy-like creatures), and T'skrang (lizard people). So you'd need rules for each of these races as classes. But other than that, I think the DCC system would work really well in an Earthdawn setting.

Anyone who played Earthdawn agree/disagree with me on this, or have thoughts on how the five new races would look from a character generation point of view?
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Earthdawn as a DCC setting?

Post by catseye yellow »

Antononymous wrote:I was going through boxes in storage and came across some of the rule books for Earthdawn, FASA's 90s take on fantasy RPGs. It struck me that the concept behind Earthdawn would lend itself really well to DCC. For those who haven't played, basically the world was overrun by magical monsters (called Horrors) and everyone went into hiding in underground 'kaers' for generations. Now that the Horrors are (mostly) gone, adventurers emerge from the kaers to explore lost civilizations and discover magical treasure.

The biggest challenge I see in adapting Earthdawn for DCC is in the race/class department -- namely, Earthdawn has several races not represented in Dungeon Crawl. There are Trolls and Orks, but also Obsidimen (rock beings), Windlings (fairy-like creatures), and T'skrang (lizard people). So you'd need rules for each of these races as classes. But other than that, I think the DCC system would work really well in an Earthdawn setting.

Anyone who played Earthdawn agree/disagree with me on this, or have thoughts on how the five new races would look from a character generation point of view?
i like earthdawn. i loved covers and art, system somewhat less. i think there was d20 edition and dcc is, in my opinio, robust enough to handle any type of fantasy.

Return to “DCC RPG General”