Does anyone else's Dungeon Alphabet 3rd Ed smell bad?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

cavetroll
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Gabi's Olympic Cards & Comics

Does anyone else's Dungeon Alphabet 3rd Ed smell bad?

Post by cavetroll »

I got a brand new copy of Dungeon Alphabet Revised 3rd Printing through Atomic Empire, back in August. It had a really strong ink smell, pretty unpleasant. I figured it would fade over time, but now its been many months and the book still stinks, like you're huffing a paint pen or something. Does anyone else have this issue with their copy? I own a big pile of other Goodman Games stuff and have never had this problem with anything else.
brujoloco
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: FRPGames

Re: Does anyone else's Dungeon Alphabet 3rd Ed smell bad?

Post by brujoloco »

Some books come with strong odors due to a lot of reasons. If you really want to make the book "evolve" into a diff type of smell, on a sunny day in the morning after 10:30 AM approximately put the book standing up with the sides open so it can air itself and leave it until 3pm in a baking tray .

This will slowly "bake" the book, do it for several days until the smell becomes different. mind this will age the book a bit, and unless you know there wont be rain that day, you have to keep an eye for rain. If the smell persists, you could also try to leave overnight in a baking soda filled tray, this helps with moisture usually but can also help with the smell.

I have only received a couple books with unpleasant smells in my life, mostly due to the leather binding, spine glue or plain fungus and mildew infestation, but for strong smells, letting the sun burn away the impurities helps a ton. Just dont over do it , because colors will fade away and the paper yellows.

Hope this helps you. :D

Return to “DCC RPG General”