Cover art analysis / criticisms / unsolicited suggestions

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

slorg
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Comicazi

Cover art analysis / criticisms / unsolicited suggestions

Post by slorg »

Just to be clear I *love* Kovacs' artwork in general, but I feel the content of the cover art for the standard prints fail to capture the spirit of DCCRPG, which undersells the product and the brand.

The interior* cover artwork (at least of the Kovacs pyromancer version I have) strikes me as far more marketable. It's evocative, eye-catching, and indicative of DCCRPG's distinct play style. You have people getting devoured. You have heroes of multiple classes looking cool and heroic, and appealing to various gamer types. The art catches your eye and all but forces it to linger. You've got a god of law fueling a sorcerer's spell while a god of chaos breathes life into the worms she is fighting; as your gaze drifts from detail to detail, you realize a rich story has been laid bare before you.

Compare that to the artwork reused for the main version, I think for all four printings.

What have we got? A single figure--alone, solitary--standing, stationary, across a precipice from a blank, unemotional face. Browns, blues, no striking colors. A lull between the action.

I adore DCCRPG and I want nothing more than for the brand and for Goodman Games to to succeed. I humbly suggest that with the next printing a more appropriate cover be considered. Peter Mullen's new cover is a step in the right direction--it feels very appendix N, and the metroid / sci-fi feel certainly distinguishes it from all of the high fantasy games out there. The Kovacs pyromancer is too, I suppose, but there are no heroes; it's just the villain standing there with flames whipping about him.

My suggestions to Goodman are to a) include at least three classes showing off their coolest skills, b) depict at least one hero dying spectacularly, and c) suffuse everything with the overwhelming, mind-sliming Appendix N flavor you and your artists are so good at capturing.

Anyway, as a huge fan of the game and of the artists and artwork, wanted to throw this out there. Excited to see what others think of the various cover art.
slorg
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Comicazi

Re: Cover art analysis / criticisms / unsolicited suggestion

Post by slorg »

I commissioned a small fleet of graphic designers to mock up what I'm getting at:

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I don't see that cover as a lull at all... more of a moment of impending action... "What is going to happen?" is the essence of a roleplaying game, eh? "You, the player, get to decide!"

Fight scenes are rampant; that cover stands out all the more for that. It could make someone curious about that game, and start looking through it (whereupon they'll find a metric ton and a half of awesome art to fire up their brain cells further).

I don't find that door boring in the least -- it clearly means something... but what? Gotta go in to find out...

YMMV
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

i love the wizard cover. and heroes are there. oh yes, they are there.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

Everyone's an art director :lol:
Griffith
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Paradox Comics-N-Cards

Post by Griffith »

catseye yellow wrote:i love the wizard cover. and heroes are there. oh yes, they are there.
I prefer the wizard cover over the original too. The Peter Mullen cover is also very excellent.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I really like the original cover, but I think that slorg had a nice idea with the one below.
slorg wrote:I commissioned a small fleet of graphic designers to mock up what I'm getting at:

This is a neat cover design, too. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
brujoloco
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: FRPGames

Post by brujoloco »

That particular art piece reminds me of the classic Paladin in Hell black and white iconic drawing from the good old days. Though I dont dislike the original Single guy staring at the door art piece, I dont like it much either, and yes, the Pyromancer cover is just amazing. My Core is that one, and the weird reptlian sorcerer on the spine is one of my favorites. Sadly I was only able to find it in Softcover and for day to day handling I would prefer a hardcover one, but waiting to see if I can find one for cheap.

The Aliens one is great too, we could really use some more covers with more action yes. Would also help differentiate editions too.

Anyone can give back and spine cover photos of the aliens one? Was wondering on buying it , but dunno how it will look on the spine, since that is the only art piece that displays on a rack.

As I said before the Pyromancer one has this amazing wizard sorcerer

Dumnbunny
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Kapow Comics, Cards and Games

Post by Dumnbunny »

brujoloco wrote:and yes, the Pyromancer cover is just amazing.
Love that cover; my favourite cover, and my favourite DK piece. Someday I'll find an affordable copy.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

brujoloco wrote:Would also help differentiate editions too.
...there's just the one edition...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ozerulz
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Gamers Haven

Post by Ozerulz »

I like the cover art as is. The door is the doorway to a new game and when you open the door aka open the book you see all hell breaking loose. There's more there than what you think, if you stop to think about it.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Amen
brujoloco
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: FRPGames

Post by brujoloco »

Jim Skach wrote:
GnomeBoy wrote:
Amen

Ok ok ... CORRECTION Version? better? :lol:

I would love to see different "correction versions" covers, at least a different one to the plain vanilla one of the lone guy at the door. Peter Mullen has a ton of amazing art pieces that could work.

I am still wondering if anyone has the alien cover one and could take a quick picture of the spine and backplate? Wondering how it looks in those angles.

Return to “DCC RPG General”