The world of Aereth

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

xandarr2000
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Black & Read or Atomic Goblin

The world of Aereth

Post by xandarr2000 »

I am fairly new to DCC RPG, but have purchased goodman modules many times in the past for other games use. I fell in love with DCC RPG though and I am currently working to make it 1 of the 2 monthly games I run. My question is this, is the World of Aereth intended for use with DCC RPG or just with DCC products in general? I had been working on my own setting but if there is already a preexisting one, well to be frank, I have more money then time. Are the modules still based in Aereth with the exception of those one offs like purple planet etc that are their own unique setting?

thanks in advance for any answers
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: The world of Aereth

Post by finarvyn »

The World of Aereth was designed, I believe, for Goodman's d20 product line. Having said that, it's a solid setting that could be adapted for any RPG system including the DCC RPG.

The DCC RPG is best thought of as an "episodic" campaign world, much like the old "Appendix N" short fiction like Howard's Conan or Leiber's Fafhrd & Grey Mouser. That is to say that one can read the stories in pretty much any order without a great feeling of loss, and the DCC RPG modules are done in that same spirit where they could be played in pretty much any order.

If you want more continuity in a DCC RPG game world, DCC Lankhmar (coming soon to a kickstart near you) could be a good option. There are plenty of stories to pull inspiration from, some old AD&D modules and resources to use for gaming, and eventually this setting will be released with official DCC RPG game stats. From the onset when I first saw the DCC RPG and its artwork, I felt that it oozed a Lankhmar feel. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
xandarr2000
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Black & Read or Atomic Goblin

Re: The world of Aereth

Post by xandarr2000 »

You know I was sort of toying with an idea. I do not want to spill all the beans, but the idea works something like this. The idea of the character funnel is sort of like Sword Art Online (the anime, which 99% of the time I never watch but I got begged into watching this one) the players enter the game as 0 level nobodies inside of a "created" world in which their consciousness are supposedly playing characters. However, obviously things do not go as intended and they find out their very essences are trapped, and the only way out is to survive harrowing encounter after harrowing encounter until they finally find the way out. (Behind the scenes it is not some computer intelligence but actually much more sinister, it is a cthulhu like entity that consumes the souls of the fallen as the players dying in game = dying in real life in this setting.) To facilitate more adventures each one of the goodman games modules is in actuality a realm all to its own in which the only escape is to beat the dungeon. I would have a centralized area like a town hub that grows as the players go through different adventures, taking on aspects from each of those worlds in response to what the players unlock. Since DCC adventures are suppose to be like the old shorts from weird tales etc I think that would keep the flavor. As the characters get progressively more powerful of course this elder being makes the threats on their souls more dire. What do you guys think?

Return to “DCC RPG General”