Alignment question

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Alignment question

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

So is Law and Chaos meant to be equivalent to Good and Evil respectively? I've grown to understand the two part system of D&D and Pathfinder, granting different flavours of Good and Evil, and note the decided lack of these terms in DCC. I'm just trying to figure out what was intended with alignment by the author for a solid reference point.

Does Law=Good and Chaos=Evil? I can see how that would often be the case...
or
Is Good/Evil written as relative and subjective?

Thanks for any insight!

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Alignment question

Post by catseye yellow »

i think that it is more moorcockian thing than morality issue. chaos and law are real sides in a very real conflict. it is not only about your worldview but about very real and objective allegiance to one side in the cosmic conflict. in a nutshell: are you with loki or with thor when gods go nuclear.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Fenris Ulfhamr wrote:Does Law=Good and Chaos=Evil?
I think most folks' take on the game is that this is patently not the case. Good and Evil are judgement calls, given all the attendant shades of grey that creep into the reality of these concepts, and the game accepts that.

Law and Chaos are the extreme sides in an invisible conflict going on around you ALL THE TIME. There is also Neutrality as a range in between the extremes. Alignment in the game is a question of where does this character ultimately fit in the scheme of that conflict. It's entirely possible that the characters themselves don't have an opinion on what their "alignments" are, but the universe cares (e.g., healing works differently).
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

I agree with the above, law and chaos are not good and evil, more pro or anti establishment, pro the team or pro the individual.

That said in most campaigns a character is more likely to be evil if they are chaotic purely because looking after number one at the expense of the group is generally held to be not a 'good' thing. That said there can still be the chaotic 'freedom figher' just as there can be the Lawful Grand Vizier with evil laws and brutal punishments.

Remember the tone is different to D&D "....You’re no hero. You’re a reaver, a cutpurse, a heathen-slayer, a tight-lipped warlock guarding long-dead secrets. You seek gold and glory, winning it with sword and spell, caked in the blood and filth of the weak, the dark, the demons, and the vanquished. There are treasures to be won deep underneath, and you shall have them..."

Plenty of scope for Lawfuls and Chatoics in there :wink:
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

maybe this can help you

http://jrients.blogspot.rs/2008/07/jeff ... nment.html

also, if you can check out aleigance system in stormbringer and wfrp alignments. in many ways dcc is similar to some aspects of wfrp due to the strong moorcockian influence they share (law vs chaos, mutations/corruptions, demonic patrons).
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Thanks for the insights, guys! This exposes the weakness in my Appendix N knowledge - I am woefully unversed in Moorcock outside of themythos printed in the OD&D books. A brief wiki-fari nto Doric, law and chaos set me back on the path- and added books to my wishlist!

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Elric was Chaotic and did evil things; but he wasn't evil.

Return to “DCC RPG General”