What is the ideal number of Funky Dices?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Carlos
Ill-Fated Peasant

What is the ideal number of Funky Dices?

Post by Carlos »

Greetings, friends

I bought some dice packs from AliExpress. After two months waiting, I finally received some of my D&D dices two weeks ago:

But this is just one pack. I'm still waiting a 10 dices set as showed bellow (mine is the back set):

As you can see, the set is made of a d4, d6, d8, d10 (0-9), d10 (1-10), d10%, d12, d20, d24 and d30. Two Funky Dices!!

When I purchased this set, I wasn't aware of DCC. But now that I'm aware and willing to try it, I'm wondering:

- How many dices would be ideal to play DCC? Should I have 6 (or more) d3, d5, d7, d14, d16, d24 and d30 dices?

Another question is: What dices are better?

The six-sided d3 dices or the true d3?
The ten-sided d5 dices or the true d5?
The forteen-sided d7 or the true d7?

I never played DCC before. But for me, it seems that part of the fun to play dCC is to use the real Funky Dices and not to simulate them. Since AliExpress sells that 10 dices set (with d24 and d30) for less than $3 dollars each set and free shipping, I guess I can buy 6 or more of these dice sets with d24 and d30, but the other Funky Dices seems to be a bit costlier. That's why I need to know the ideal number of these dices for a smooth gameplay, assuming a game with 4-5 players.
Carlos
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: What is the ideal number of Funky Dices?

Post by Carlos »

No one?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Sorry, but this thread slipped past me the first time. :oops:

I think in general the "ideal" number of dice sets is one per player. I know that most gamers are decent at sharing dice, but I find that if each has his own set the game tends to run a little faster because each can hunt out the dice that they need the most in advance. Of course, good players ought to come with their own dice set and not expect the GM to supply them. :P

On the other hand, with the large number of dice that you have already, you might try putting them all in a giant community bowl and letting players pick out the ones they need as they need them in play. They can each have a pile of the most useful ones in front of them, and go to the bowl if they find they need a die they haven't sorted out yet.

Just a thought. :D
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

I have 2 full sets from impact miniatures that I use for myself... http://impactminiatures.com/index.php?option=dicepacks

Then I bought 3 sets of the Kaplow "Who knew?" sets which I share among my players...http://biffleys.com/whoknewdiceset.aspx

However, the "who knew?" sets don't contain a d14...so I share mine when that die comes up (rarely).

I have both the "true" odd dice and the ones that are merely numbered twice. I don't really have a preference.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

I'm torn. Generally I think I prefer the Koplow dice, but some of them are ridiculously huge. So I put a set of each kind in front of me and roll whichever I grab first.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Carlos wrote:Another question is: What dices are better?

The six-sided d3 dices or the true d3?
The ten-sided d5 dices or the true d5?
The forteen-sided d7 or the true d7?
I forgot to reply to this part as well. In general, I find that dice with very few sides don't roll as cleanly as those with more sides. I bought some d8's numbered 1-4 twice to use in place of my d4's because of this. While I don't have the specific dice you listed above, I think I would like them better than the "true" ones and I should try to find some. 8)
mythfish wrote:I'm torn. Generally I think I prefer the Koplow dice, but some of them are ridiculously huge.
Yeah, the size thing is an annoying thing about those. If I remember correctly, the Koplow dice were my first funky "sets" and some of them are like rolling golf balls. :?
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Carlos wrote:...- How many dices would be ideal to play DCC? Should I have 6 (or more) d3, d5, d7, d14, d16, d24 and d30 dices?

...for a smooth gameplay, assuming a game with 4-5 players.
Obviously, you can get by with one set, and everybody shares dice. Or everyone can get their own set, which sounds easy if they really are that cheap.

Generally, one of each die is enough for each player. Maybe as GM you might want two sets... maybe three, if you like having LOTS of dice. 8)

BTW, 'dices' is chopping up stuff. 'Dice' is plural.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

I like one set per person and in different colours; mine are black although annoyingly I can't find a black Jumbo D14 :?

Return to “DCC RPG General”