DCC RPG 4th printing: What do you want?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: DCC RPG 4th printing: What do you want?

Post by GnomeBoy »

Cool. I love Schmeter Cullen's art. :mrgreen:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
FLGS: The Compleat Strategist

Post by Judge Perky »

Definitely would like to see fleshed out and additional deity descriptions (short is fine) adapted from the Gazeteer for DCC RPG use.

Love the additional 'Doom of the Savage Kings' bonus funnel/adventure idea to make it an even better value for those who already own multiple copies of the earlier versions.

Love the alphabetical spells idea.

I love sample combat sections that they used to have in the old school D&D games. How about one of those, showcasing the special skills of DCC RPG classes in action?

Would also be great to include an updated 'Appendix O' section... including Taco John's Index of 'Zine articles as of the printing date and stuff like that.
*Jonathan*

“You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.” ― Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

I would like to beg that if there are limited edition incarnations could we have a few of them shipped over to the UK so I have a fighting chance of getting my hands on them please :P

I got the Jeff Easley and the Slipcover but the Wizard and the Gold foil couldn't be had here no matter how much STR, AGI & STA I spell burnt :twisted:
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Boxed set please. With individual booklets for major sections.

Erol art.

:)
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Judge Perky wrote:Love the alphabetical spells idea.
NOOooooooooooo

Please remove all alpahetic listings, equipment lists are better in logical groups of related items and spells by level; easier to read, easier to use, more atmospheric.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Weisenwolf wrote:
NOOooooooooooo

Please remove all alpahetic listings, equipment lists are better in logical groups of related items and spells by level; easier to read, easier to use, more atmospheric.
Except when you're trying to find a spell, can remember the name, but not the level. :wink:
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

The spells are already listed in alphabetical order in the index. A separate list would be nice, but not necessary.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Weisenwolf wrote:
NOOooooooooooo

Except when you're trying to find a spell, can remember the name, but not the level. :wink:
Then perhaps an alphabetical index too?
BR_
Gongfarmer
FLGS: None

Post by BR_ »

I would like to echo previous comments about multiple smaller books. I find the all-in-one megabooks unwieldy.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

reverenddak wrote:The spells are already listed in alphabetical order in the index. A separate list would be nice, but not necessary.
Yeah, but it's still clunky to go to that page, still have to find the spell and then go to the spell's page itself. If the spells were alphabetical, I could just thumb quickly through that section and hit the spell I want. Plus, my Wizard-cover tends to stay on the shelf, and I'm using my first printing actively.

It's not really a big thing, it's just the ONE thing I feel is a mis-fire in the layout.

Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

GnomeBoy wrote:
reverenddak wrote:The spells are already listed in alphabetical order in the index. A separate list would be nice, but not necessary.
Yeah, but it's still clunky to go to that page, still have to find the spell and then go to the spell's page itself. If the spells were alphabetical, I could just thumb quickly through that section and hit the spell I want. Plus, my Wizard-cover tends to stay on the shelf, and I'm using my first printing actively.

It's not really a big thing, it's just the ONE thing I feel is a mis-fire in the layout.
Maqking the Spells available in a seperate book would help........
Santa Barbarian
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Santa Barbarian »

I want to make sure that what I like about the book is NOT thrown away. I like the current physical format of the book just fine. The heavy stock of the paper and the quality of the binding is delicious to feel. Part of the experience just like the artwork. If you're going to cut on the physical quality of what you already have, don't bother me with a new printing. The original cover itself has become almost iconic for me, too. Its part of how I recognize the book in a pile or on a shelf, just like the old Player's Handbook. Its also very beautiful work. That being said, a new cover is always nice especially with some Doug Kovacs work. You may want to include old covers as additional artwork if you're going to phase out the old cover. My suggestion is to NOT change it unless you make it better, as in more durable or water and bug resistant. I am finding the binding on the current edition I have has broken in and flexed and stretched so that it lays flat without any spiral binding. The quality of the book has held up so that it really does work without any other type of binding. I don't see a need for any change there.

Anything that would help people learn the game or find information quickly would be an improvement. My suggestion is to concentrate on physical things that would help someone either learn the game or look up something AND tactile or sensory things that help the feel of the game and book. Otherwise, why change it? Also, very long term would be an edition for bigger print. Some of the grognards are getting older and need glasses for reading. Not really necessary, but something I certainly would not have thought about 20 years ago. Durable tabs for each section might be a good suggestion, provided they can be made so they're durable or not likely to tear out. Maybe not tabs but an inclusion with printing. A new cover. Colored edges to delineate sections.

If you're doing the Kickstarter and edition issues are, well, not an issue, then I want things to help me recruit and teach the game. What can I hand them to put them at ease, capture their attention and get them ready to roll dice? One of DCC RPGs powerful strengths is its relative simplicity to learn compared to other RPGs. Try walking into a game store and looking at Pathfinder and asking, "How do I play this game?" It's daunting for me and I've played RPGs for 40 years. I remember questioning whether I had the time to learn a new edition and almost walking away when I came back to what was then D&D 3.5. A starting folio or booklet with sheets for each character class including zeroes, would be an example. It's basic, but the character sheet is what a new player who starts will look at along with the dice and a pencil and pen. Each sheet would have a class on it plus reference pages and notes on it for each entry. For example, a truly new person to the game might see hit points or class on the sheet and not know what they are. A page or reference number for each entry would be a great help. A check list for rolling up a character for the zero level and another for leveling up. I want things to help me recruit and teach people to play, make it as easy as possible for them to learn and for me to teach.

Eric Koh
heivilinj
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Mageling Games

Post by heivilinj »

I like the idea of the stay flat spiral bound and the tabs would be very useful.
Blutimate
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Blutimate »

I would like the book broken down into several volumes and spiral bound. I have a PDF version and have printed the resource guides and the class/judge sections and placed them into a binder, but it is still difficult to wield and lookup. I would like to be able to hand a wizard book to a player with all of the spells/charts/patrons he needs in one place and also hand a cleric a similar tome without having to give away the one or two books. I gave pages out from the binder but it demands a more elegant solution.

In my group, we rarely have more than 2-3 sourcebooks for each game, so this would be indispensable. I would be willing to pay more for this luxury.

David Rose
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Oh goodie; I'm in............................

.....................Limited Editions still available, not missing out this time, I can smell the leather already....................Yipppeeeeeeee :lol:
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Over half funded already with 29 days to go

Bet it's funded before the weekends out
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Over 2/3 funded now........
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Over 100% funded. 8)

catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

well that was quick. i am still on the fence since shipping is killing me and i already have blue and wizard cover editions. on the other hand, if it funds i would love to get my hands on those updated modules (especially since i only own stroh ones in dead tree version).

it would be nice to know if we'll be hit with some other ks soon after this one (like lankhmar or journey to the center of aereth).
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Catseye, you just know come April you'll be gutted if you don't get your hands on a limited edition, don't put yourself through the anguish

Almost double funded now; think of all those stretch goodies....
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

i'll probably do it. i really didn't like easly cover but this one rocks.
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

I wanted the Wizard cover but By the time I started looking there were none in my neck of the woods to be had. Despite the hefty shipping costs I'm not risking that happening again.

First two stretch goals hit; judges reference panels next
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Im thinking there are a lot of liars for the "First Time fan" pledge to get the extra adventure & swag. :? 320 pledgers and 140 are first timers....... :roll:
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

catseye yellow wrote:it would be nice to know if we'll be hit with some other ks soon after this one (like lankhmar or journey to the center of aereth).
I do not know the Dark Master's plans, but I think I recall hearing that the Mutant Crawl Classics KS would be happening near the end of the year. Maybe I heard that at the Gen Con What's New seminar? So I suspect that will be the next one that happens.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]

Return to “DCC RPG General”