Cleric's Idol Magic

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

mike65hill
Gongfarmer

Cleric's Idol Magic

Post by mike65hill »

Hi folks,

Do Clerics select or roll their spells in the same way as Wizards do, or can they use any spell of the appropriate level as in D&D?

Also, I'm guessing that Mercurial Magic does not apply to Idol magic?

Many thanks

Mike
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Cleric's Idol Magic

Post by Raven_Crowking »

mike65hill wrote:Hi folks,

Do Clerics select or roll their spells in the same way as Wizards do, or can they use any spell of the appropriate level as in D&D?
I have been using random roll, but according to the book on page 28, "A cleric’s choice of god must match his alignment, and determines weapon groups, holy powers, and magical spells." and "A cleric has access to the spells of his
god as noted on table 1-5." Unfortunately, there is no table that tells you what spells a cleric of any particular god has access to.

When developing additional deities, I tend to make a list of spells that are randomly rolled for, so that each cleric can gain a full compliment of spells, but not necessarily the same ones. See CE 6: The Crimson Void (which I wrote, published by Purple Duck Games) to see what I mean.
Also, I'm guessing that Mercurial Magic does not apply to Idol magic?
That's my understanding as well.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Cleric's Idol Magic

Post by GnomeBoy »

mike65hill wrote:I'm guessing that Mercurial Magic does not apply to Idol magic?
Right — these are spells granted by your deity. Nothing as crude and clumsy as a blaster. Oh, wait, I'm crossing the streams again... Nurse! Nurse...!
mike65hill wrote:Do Clerics select or roll their spells in the same way as Wizards do, or can they use any spell of the appropriate level as in D&D?
I believe they just get the spells they get, none of this "you can pray for any spell in the (thirty) book(s)" felgercarb. Your list is what you have to play with, as Crom intended!

Let 'em roll randomly, then tweak as appropriate for their deity, as you the Judge see fit.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “DCC RPG General”