Combat in the Funnel

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

CapnHowdy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Combat in the Funnel

Post by CapnHowdy »

How do you handle combat with an army of 0-level peasants?

Do you limit the number of characters that can attack an adversary, or is it one big pile-on?

When monsters attack, how do you determine who gets attacked? Randomly determined among the front flank?
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Re: Combat in the Funnel

Post by Rick »

Have each player arrange their character sheets so that they're in a line, w/ one clearly in front, another bringing up the rear, and the other(s) in the middle.

I'd rule a maximum of 8 zeroes could attack a medium sized adversary, if conditions were right. For larger opponents, allow more as you see fit, but I say just let 'em all take a whack at it if they're brave enough.

Target the ones w/ the worst luck, or roll a die, or use logic based on what they just did ("Okay, Dave, your indentured servant just peered over the edge of the pit? Well, something big and slimy erupts up out of it and tries to consume him. Does a... 17 hit his AC?").
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
FLGS: The Compleat Strategist

Post by Judge Perky »

#1, each player rolls initiative for 0 levels, not each character.

#2, I limit combat to a 4:1 ratio. Of course, folks can withdraw and let someone else step up, but they have a free attack launched against them if they do.
*Jonathan*

“You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.” ― Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold
CapnHowdy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by CapnHowdy »

Yes, I was thinking of something like that -- unless it's a tight dungeon corridor, etc.

I was just wondering how other judges handled it -- I didn't think there is usually space for 15 peasants to crowd around a humanoid creature and dog-pile it.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

CapnHowdy wrote:I was just wondering how other judges handled it -- I didn't think there is usually space for 15 peasants to crowd around a humanoid creature and dog-pile it.
If there isn't enough place, the rest can stand back, or join with pole arms and missile weapons. If there is enough place, then lob in an area attack for some hilarious moments.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Rick wrote:Have each player arrange their character sheets so that they're in a line, w/ one clearly in front, another bringing up the rear, and the other(s) in the middle.

I'd rule a maximum of 8 zeroes could attack a medium sized adversary, if conditions were right. For larger opponents, allow more as you see fit, but I say just let 'em all take a whack at it if they're brave enough.
This is essentially using character sheets as miniatures on a square grid mapboard, whereby the four facing (front, back, left right) and four diagonal can all get in a swipe. Works best for dungeon crawls and inside buildings where everything is square.

If I get into a situation where there is a huge open space, often I'll switch to a hex grid mapboard because it allows for more normal movement (diagonals usually are 1.414 greater distance than non-diagonals) and limits the number of opponents to six rather than eight.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”