DCC RPG Player Handbook PDF?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Wu Tang
Ill-Fated Peasant

DCC RPG Player Handbook PDF?

Post by Wu Tang »

Greetings, I will be traveling to Indonesia next week for a several month stay and plan to try to get a local gaming group interested in DCC RPG. I was hoping to avoid lugging around the heavy player handbook in my luggage and saw there is a watermarked PDF version on Drivethrurpg.com for $25. Does anyone else use this? Is it easy to navigate? I am a frequent kindle user so I have no problem with ebooks, and I have some smaller gaming pdfs on my old, old original Kindle Fire, but I have never tried navigating a huge tome of a pdf on my kindle fire before. I have access to an alternate, Windows based tablet as well if that would work better.

Any reviews on the pdf version, specifically relating to navigation? Thanks!
"Ball don't lie."
-Rasheed Wallace
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Re: DCC RPG Player Handbook PDF?

Post by Rick »

I use it frequently & can't recommend it enough. Many of the rules questions I've seen posted here & on G+ can be answered by a little searching of the PDF.

I can't comment as to how it will look on a Fire but I most commonly access it with my Mini iPad 2 and I have no complaints.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I use the pdf a lot on my laptop. It is well bookmarked, making it easy to navigate.

I would also recommend the Purple Sorcerer tools (http://purplesorcerer.com/crawler/crawler.htm) and the reference guide from People Them With Monsters (http://peoplethemwithmonsters.blogspot. ... urces.html).
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

It's properly bookmarked, especially in the most critical section: spells!
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Wu Tang
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Wu Tang »

Excellent, that's what I was hoping to hear. I will definitely be downloading a copy before I depart then. A family member loaned me a larger Dell tablet that I loaded Adobe PDF Viewer on last night to check out some of the other RPG PDF's I've accumulated and it looks pretty good on there as compared to the smaller Kindle Fire screen, so I'm sure the Player Handbook will turn out just as good.
"Ball don't lie."
-Rasheed Wallace
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

I use the PDF almost exclusively - it looks great on PCs, Macs, and iPad (GoodReader). As mentioned it has bookmarks and indexes.

The only (very minor) complaint I have is that the printed page numbers are off from the pdf page number (i.e., going to pdf page 20 takes you to printed page 16). That's a fairly easy fix to make in InDesign when using sections for page numbering and I've asked Mr. Goodman to consider if he ever updates the book.

Return to “DCC RPG General”