Liam Neeson in "The Grey" as a Funnel?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Liam Neeson in "The Grey" as a Funnel?

Post by fireinthedust »

Watching "the Grey" on Netflix. Without spoilers, this is an amazing survival adventure. The beginning premise is well-executed, and the acting is great. A bit grim, and language is likely an issue. Not a horror, but a thriller.

I'm wondering if there's a funnel like this: plane crash (or some magical version) strands random workers in a blizzard on a mountainside. There are big wolves on the mountain. They'll need to get themselves to safety...

You'd need the funnel requirements Ravencrowking mentions in his blog: supplies and method to train them in a class for when they hit level 1, and then some point to get them to level up, and then finish off the adventure as level 1 adventurers.

I'm geeking out. I may just blog this...
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Liam Neeson in "The Grey" as a Funnel?

Post by finarvyn »

Honestly, I've somehow never heard of "the Grey" and have no idea how it slipped under my RADAR. I'll have to track it down and watch it...
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Liam Neeson in "The Grey" as a Funnel?

Post by fireinthedust »

It's on Netflix. I finished it, taking notes as I went. It's very grim, and it would never, ever be appreciated by a mainstream audience. However, I can totally see it appealing to this crowd, at least conceptually. As a one-off change of pace game, the scenario is fantastic. Lots of character development along the way, I might add, and it's an odd take on the horror movie, actually. I'm going to puzzle out what the wolves symbolize within the film, possibly for a while.

If you get to it, maybe let me know if there's a scenario that you've come across that fits this already?

Return to “DCC RPG General”