Spellburn Podcast?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

vogless
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Spellburn Podcast?

Post by vogless »

Anyone know what happened to the Spellburn podcast?
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Spellburn Podcast?

Post by DM Cojo »

They have been on a bit of a hiatus lately, but I was assured by some of the hosts who I saw at GaryCon...that it is not dead, and new episodes will be coming for sure.
vogless
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by vogless »

I hope so!
Buttmonkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Buttmonkey »

Arise from the dead! I was checking on the Wild Game Productions forums for any info on the podcast and saw this post from July 7, 2015:
Lord Nikon wrote:Hey folks.

I had a long talk with the hosts of Spellburn podcast and they will be taking time off to revamp the podcast. Jim Wampler has stepped away from the show due to his work load with all his projects he is working on. We all know that making a living and supporting our family is priority one in life, and podcasting/gaming is second. Fret not, Jim will still be apart of Save or Die and has no plans of leaving that show!

Spellburn has decided not to continue with WGP as a network and wishes all the shows good luck and they will continue to support the shows, and any podcast that wants to do cross promotions can contact them directly.

Not sure when the podcast will be back on the air for shows, as they need time to revamp and re-invent their methods.

Thanks!

- Vincent
The bolded language says Spellburn left Wild Game Productions, but the rest of the post suggests they are just on hiatus while they revamp. The Spellburn website doesn't mention anything about this.

So, does anyone know the current status of Spellburn?
Mumphry999
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Lost Legion Games/The Vault, Vienna West Virginia

Post by Mumphry999 »

September 27 2015 is the last show i found for the podcast, havent listened yet maybe theres just more time between episodes now? im a new DCC person so any other podcasts or great Have to Have adventures or third party doodads would be appreciated.
Blutimate
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Blutimate »

Mumphry 999,

You should definitely give the ones that are currently there a listen. Worth your time (just make sure to skip ahead when they say spoilers). I particularly like their examples of some of the mechanics, it is a good companion to the book when you are learning the different classes.

As far as other podcasts, the Iron Tavern podcast is an actual play podcast. I'm not a huge fan compared to other actual play podcasts with other systems, but it is there. I'd listen and form your own opinion.

As far as tools, Purple Sorcerer Games (http://purplesorcerer.com/) has an app (IOS and Android) that has a dice roller/rules quick references (all blessed by Goodman Games), plus a broad selection of other tools on their website. Give them a look.

Have to have adventures. Hm... I suggest you create a different post and solicit more opinions than just mine. I'd start with the highly rated Goodman Games ones and then start branching out. What kind of fiction/setting/style you like? Lots of DCC material (created by Goodman or through 3rd parties) is varied.

Want to play off planet and fight aliens? There's an adventure for that. Want to go trans-dimensional and face off with gods and patrons? There's an adventure for that. Want to go Scooby Doo and hang around a haunted mansion/vineyard? There are modules for that. Want to play through megadungeons that were created for other systems? There are books for that. Want to trek across the Appalachian mountains and explore folklore unique to that region? There's an adventure for that.

Are you running games as a judge or are you a player? Don't read the stuff if you are a player. It is best to walk through it in character during a game. If you are the judge, depending on your budget, read as much as you can.

I'd start with those in the core rulebook and read over the free Google+ modules to get yourself started for free.

Then, here is a comprehensive list by Raven Crowking, a tireless individual that writes some blog posts about DCC:
http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2015/0 ... -list.html
This has all of the modules created by everyone listed.

And here is the first post in a multi-post series on his recommendations:
http://ravencrowking.blogspot.com/2014/ ... art-i.html

Good luck to you, and I hope you post this topic on a unique post. Try to explain your preferences when you post, it will be better than just asking for our own opinions.

David Rose
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

Mumphry999 wrote:September 27 2015 is the last show i found for the podcast, havent listened yet maybe theres just more time between episodes now? im a new DCC person so any other podcasts or great Have to Have adventures or third party doodads would be appreciated.
There are several great podcasts out there I'd recommend - several of them with the same judges who currently work Spellburn
  • Sanctum Secorum - hosted by Jen Brinkman (of Spellburn), David Baity, and Bob Brinkman (the latter two gents DCC authors in their own right) - these guys take Appendix N literature, review it, and then brainstorm how to apply as DCC plots, mechanics, etc. They typically release an add-on companion of their work. Very DCC.
  • Drink Spin Run - while not technically a DCC centric podcast, their hosts (Adam Muszkiewicz and Donn Stroud) have written some DCC material including the Metal Gods zine. They frequently have DCC community folks on their show.
  • Designers and Discourses - A new podcast from (ex-Spellburn's and current Save or Die host) Jim Wampler, Jim brings on RPG designers to talk about the process of how they come up with games.
Other notable mentions, at least from what I listen to...
  • Save or Die - So this podcast is technically a Old School Boxed-Set D&D podcast, but given that Jim is on it, it typically has some tasty DCC flavor, and really, should just be listed to if for not other reason the DM's (Jim W., Mike, Liz) are fun to listen to.
xmiyux
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Lost Legion: The Vault

Post by xmiyux »

Blutimate wrote: Want to trek across the Appalachian mountains and explore folklore unique to that region? There's an adventure for that.
Uhhh, heck yes I do. What adventure has that going on in it?
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

xmiyux wrote:
Blutimate wrote: Want to trek across the Appalachian mountains and explore folklore unique to that region? There's an adventure for that.
Uhhh, heck yes I do. What adventure has that going on in it?
chained coffin boxed set
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Someone rolled over the body, and Spellburn made its Luck check.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Clangador
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Clangador »

I am very happy it came back. :mrgreen:
~Clangador

I'm not a wizard but I play one in DCC...

Join the DCC RPG Rocks Facebook group.

Return to “DCC RPG General”