Hi Everyone

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

vdal1812
Ill-Fated Peasant

Hi Everyone

Post by vdal1812 »

I have been playing RPG's and Wargames since 1983. I started at a new school that year and knew very few people. I was invited to play a different kind of game over at someones house.

That game was the Holmes edition of basic D&D. Two sessions later I was DMing the game and I haven't really looked back since.

I still play with the some of the same people from high school. We've played a lot of RPG's over the years. Games from Traveller to Call of Cthulhu to every edition of D&D and now Dungeon Crawl Classics. The game takes me back to those early sessions from the 80's where it was all possible. The rules get the hell out of our way and let us play.

I've been lurking on the forums here for awhile and I've decided to come out and introduce myself.

I wanted folks to know that DCC is being played and enjoyed in Chilly Canada.

Vidal
Last edited by finarvyn on Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed a typo
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Hi Everyone

Post by finarvyn »

vdal1812 wrote:...every edition of D&D and now Dungeon Crawl Classics. The game takes me back to those early sessions from the 80's where it was all possible. The rules get the hell out of our way and let us play.
Vidal -- this quote (emphasis mine) out to be on a t-shirt! 8)

Welcome to the boards and I'm glad you're making the transition from lurker to participant. DCC RPG really is a wonderful game!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

Welcome...hope you enjoy the boards. If you haven't checked it out yet, the DCC podcast Spellburn is excellent! http://spellburn.com/
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

finarvyn wrote:
vdal1812 wrote:...every edition of D&D and now Dungeon Crawl Classics. The game takes me back to those early sessions from the 80's where it was all possible. The rules get the hell out of our way and let us play.
Vidal

Hello Vidal; welcome out from the shadows:

Yep that's it in a nutshell, even the rules that are present are mostly those that encourage atmosphere, enthusiasm and gaming, you can feel the retreat of decades of codified based jading as soon as you open that wonderful tome. I love the fact that magic is magic again and the fact that my players are now just telling me what they are going to try to do without the slightest interest in whether there is a rule or not that covers it and the fact that they no longer care how 'good' their character is on paper they don't see those numbers like they used to, they just want to play.
vdal1812
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by vdal1812 »

DM Cojo wrote:Welcome...hope you enjoy the boards. If you haven't checked it out yet, the DCC podcast Spellburn is excellent! http://spellburn.com/

Hey DM Cojo

I've been listening to Spellburn from day one and have enjoyed listening to your calls and emails.

Vidal
vdal1812
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by vdal1812 »

Hello Vidal; welcome out from the shadows:

Yep that's it in a nutshell, even the rules that are present are mostly those that encourage atmosphere, enthusiasm and gaming, you can feel the retreat of decades of codified based jading as soon as you open that wonderful tome. I love the fact that magic is magic again and the fact that my players are now just telling me what they are going to try to do without the slightest interest in whether there is a rule or not that covers it and the fact that they no longer care how 'good' their character is on paper they don't see those numbers like they used to, they just want to play.[/quote]

You're absolutely right. Magic is exciting, unpredictable and scary to use. As it should be in my opinion.

My players do the same thing your players do when it comes to actions. They are not shopping from a list of actions from the rule book their characters can perform, they just tell me what they are going to do or try. Sometimes their are guidelines for resolving the action and sometimes you have to make a call. That's why you're the judge. There doesn't have to be a rule for everything. The game moves faster and the play is more fluid and natural.

Vb

Return to “DCC RPG General”