Stamina Modifier

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

bookish
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Stamina Modifier

Post by bookish »

How does the Stamina modifier effect hit points? I am planning on running a game in the next week or so (I just acquires the DCC manual after looking through the beta pdf). Is the stamina modifier an automatic + to HP after rolling 13 and above, or - to HP after rolling 8 or below? I can't imagine -3 on a 1d4 roll for HP will be helpful in the slightest.

Thanks for any clarification!
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Re: Stamina Modifier

Post by Rick »

Yes, Stamina modifier is applied to hit points, for better or worse.

In your example, the poor zero who had a -3 mod would have 1 hit point (even if the mod would drop the roll to 0 or below, 1 is the minimum possible result).
JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Tabletop Games and 31st Century Games

Post by JonHook »

Rick wrote:Yes, Stamina modifier is applied to hit points, for better or worse.

In your example, the poor zero who had a -3 mod would have 1 hit point (even if the mod would drop the roll to 0 or below, 1 is the minimum possible result).
That dude should stick to gong farming.
bookish
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bookish »

Thanks for the reply. I rolled up some test characters and am going to play them through the 0-level dungeon included in the manual. I was watching some youtube videos on running a game and thought that the house rules laid out on the wintersome channel were intriguing. I like the idea of not letting players roll strength, agility, stamina, personality, luck and intelligence until they attempted a feat that required that stat in play. It would make players stick to the random generation and it makes sense that these characters really don't know what they are made of until they attempt a feat. However- lots of characters are going to die!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Not rolling the stat until you use the ability is kind of interesting. But also kind of board-gamey.

On the other hand, it's not as if the Zero Levelers just rolled out of the clone vats with full amnesia -- they've lived a life, just not an adventuring life...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Stretch
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Stretch »

The benefit of not rolling stats until you use that stat is that you can get right into the game. Over on Adam's blog, http://www.kickassistan.net, he discusses this and had a nice little option to place two hash marks on the character sheet. At anytime a score is rolled that the player does not like he can re-roll it and erase a hash mark. That means two re-rolls. If I were to do this, and I probably will one night when several players can't make it and we are locked into an area, I would use this option. Probably in conjunction with the 1/2 level rules. Just as an experiment to see how it plays at the table.
-Stretch
If you survive a crucible you grow the stronger for it. - Arrow.

Return to “DCC RPG General”