Acheivements?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Evil Genius Prime
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Acheivements?

Post by Evil Genius Prime »

I saw a thread a few days ago where the poster mentioned that his GM had a chart of achievements that he would check off and give bonus XP for. While it harkens to the way video games are played today, with trophies and achievements awarded for doing stuff in game, I'm still interested in this concept. Does anyone know of the GM or player I am talking about? It wasn't here on the DCC forums and I can't seem to find the site in my history. Anyway, if anyone knows give me a yell. If not, I may expand on this idea and run with it myself.
Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Acheivements?

Post by Zargon »

I never came across this anywhere myself, but I too would love to hear more about what others have done for players in this area. Personally, I have dabbled with some of this myself as judge in my home games. An unexpected +1 XP is appreciated by my players for being the first to do something 'wise, virtuous, or daring'. If I was going to make a comprehensive list I would base it on things which hearken to the things players used to in the dawn of these games, (that which challenges the player not the character), things which are personally impressive or interesting to me, and things that other players are reluctant to do for reasons involving danger and/or the work involved. Here are some of my ideas...
1. First PC to step into a dungeon, ever.
2. First to drink an unlabeled potion, pull a lever, (other "flip-a-coin" permanent injury & death vs. miracle & reward choices)
3. Witty Dungeon tactic: order single file, map a dungeon on paper, utilize a 10' pole, a hand sized mirror, a piton...
4. First to solve a riddle.
5. First to discover a secret passage.
6. First to loot an item of hidden value. (i.e. ingredients, hides, objets d'art)
7. First to solve a trick.
8. First to hire an NPC. (not just mercenaries, but also bards, cooks, cart drivers, paige/squire/servant)
9. First to solve a combat encounter with bribery, evasion, wit, diversion...
10. First to unveil the "good" guy as the bad guy. Without forewarning. (and vice-versa)
11. First to train an animal, or befriend an unlikely ally.
12. First to compete in an honorable dual. (to the death)
13. First to craft something (tool, equipment, trapping) for personal use.
14. First to donate to a; beggar, church, or cause.
15. First to convert an NPC; to religion or cause.
16. First to do a completely selfless act that involves risk and expense. (no rewards)
17. First to earn 1000 gold, first to waste 1000 gold.
18. First to discover the 'Achilles Heel' of a man or beast they are unfamiliar with.
19. First to destroy a magic item.
20. First to learn/utilize a "useless" skill to complete the adventure.
21. First to perform a profession (non-adventurer)
22. First to kill an NPC, not part of the adventure. Or alternatively, first to perform an act of mercy.
23. First to build a lair. (fortress, tower, guild, burrow, etc)
24. First to use an item for an unintended purpose, to survive or solve, an encounter/situation.
25. First to lay down their life, so that the group escapes and survives. (XP to next character)
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
Borrowed_Thyme
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Borrowed_Thyme »

Oooh, that looks pretty cool.

Would it be something that you keep to yourself as Judge, and award when PCs inadvertently achieve them, or would you show the players so that they can 'compete' to get one of them?
'It's going to bite me, isn't it?'
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

I was considering something like this -- I got the idea from Dwimmermount. There's a system described in that mega-module, whereby the adventurers can obtain information -- maybe historical scrolls, rubbings from carvings on the walls, etc. and that the information has value with certain factions outside the dungeon (or inside). For DCC, I was considering something similar, but rewarding XP for "secrets revealed." So, the adventurers are off to some tomb (probably to rob it), but uncover a secret cult trying to raise a dead god (XP). Through the adventure, maybe they tie that cult back to the ruling party of a nearby town (XP) and find that one of the ruling party is actually an undead servant of this dead god come back from the grave... etc.

Kind of an additional incentive for the players to explore the deeper secrets of a campaign world, without banging them over the head with boxed text. Dunno. It's still pre-formed.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Zargon »

Borrowed_Thyme wrote:Oooh, that looks pretty cool.

Would it be something that you keep to yourself as Judge, and award when PCs inadvertently achieve them, or would you show the players so that they can 'compete' to get one of them?
Thank you BT. To answer your question, I keep the details of such things to myself. PCs become aware that certain behaviors are awarded and end up competing for the bonus points in the end anyway. I also started awarding XP for finding gold coins (1xp per 1000gc, though it has to safely make it out of the dungeon and back to 'civilization') and for excelling in: attentiveness, creativity, cooperation, organization, and system mastery.
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
Evil Genius Prime
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Evil Genius Prime »

Zargon! That's really close to what I saw! Still can't find it and I'm beginning to wonder if I dreamt it. The list you've got there, is brilliant! I absolutely love it and will use it in future games. :D

Return to “DCC RPG General”