Best-looking modules?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Best-looking modules?

Post by fireinthedust »

I'm looking for a list of the top modules in terms of appearance. All-time list, or little details, would be great.

I'm finally entering the production phase of my first DCC RPG 3pp module, self-publishing endeavour. While I complete individual illustrations, I've started loading things into InDesign on my Mac.

Anyone here have tips or tricks to share about layout for modules they've designed?

OR can anyone point out modules they own that have the best art or other details, like maps or page frames?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Best-looking modules?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

IMHO, layout is as important as art....a good layout makes the art and words shine.

That said, there are so many examples of good art and layout in DCC modules (GG and 3pp) that the question is really difficult to answer. I did layout for The Revelation of Mulmo and some for D.A.M.N. #1, using Microsoft Publisher and Adobe Acrobat Pro.

Some general advice: Images should "lead in" to the text, in general, or encapsulate it....you want to avoid placing a picture in a way that draws the eye away from the page. Personally, I prefer white space to breaking up paragraphs. I avoid breaking up paragraphs when I can. I recommend the use of bookmarks in pdf copy, which makes finding things easier for the poor harried judge.

If this is the adventure that I think it is, I would be happy to help however I can, but I am not familiar with InDesign, which seems to be the standard for doing layout these days. I know Publisher very well.

EDIT: The layout in Crawl #9 for The Arwich Grinder was damn near perfect, and the creepy tone might be something to examine in your particular case.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Bookmarks: Yes, definitely. I think I'll have each creature with a tag like that.

Images: Leading into an image? Like a banner? What about the L-shape on a corner?

One thing I'm wondering is how to complete an illustration: borders around the image, or leave it white so it blends in with the page?

I'm also finding myself wondering if images need backgrounds, or if the figure can just sit there. I don't want to crowd an image, and I suppose the text will also play a role in the appearance of the page: contrast of light and dark, just like the hatching in my ink drawings. That said, it might be nice to have, say, clouds behind the monsters, or buildings, or something.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

fireinthedust wrote:Images: Leading into an image? Like a banner? What about the L-shape on a corner?
I am influenced by How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way. An image on the left-hand page "faces" towards the right, leading people into the work. An image on the bottom right of the right hand page "faces" up and to the left, leading the eye back into the main work. This doesn't have to be literal facing, but it is the way that the eye follows from the image. The Goodman Games logo, for instance, looks forward and could be placed anywhere to good effect. The cover to The People of the Pit leads downward to the right, whereas the cover to Sailors on the Starless Sea leads to the left.
One thing I'm wondering is how to complete an illustration: borders around the image, or leave it white so it blends in with the page?
I mostly side with the latter, but it depends upon the images and what you are going for. In your case, I think white background would be effective for many images.
I'm also finding myself wondering if images need backgrounds, or if the figure can just sit there. I don't want to crowd an image, and I suppose the text will also play a role in the appearance of the page: contrast of light and dark, just like the hatching in my ink drawings. That said, it might be nice to have, say, clouds behind the monsters, or buildings, or something.
Vary it depending upon if the illustration is a monster or a scene; it need not be all one or the other.

Just my 2 cp.

EDIT: Oh, and if Doug Kovacs, Joseph Goodman, or Rev Dak disagree with me, go with whatever they say! Their design/art sense trumps mine any day.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

*makes notes and tries to remember if he still owns How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way*
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Love that book! Aside from solid foundations, it covers composition. Klaus Janson also put out two books in the DC Comics series of how to books, the Pencilling and Inking. *Very* good books, and up there with Marvel's book. That said, the Marvel book is the best for pure nostalgia! :D

Leading is good.

Return to “DCC RPG General”