Breckinridge Elkins for your DCC game

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Breckinridge Elkins for your DCC game

Post by Raven_Crowking »

http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2014/0 ... lkins.html

Robert E. Howard is well known for characters like Kull, Conan, Bran Mak Morn, El Borak, Cormac Mac Art and Solomon Kane. He also wrote stories about many characters that are perhaps less well known these days – Sailor Steve Costigan, Professor John Kirowan, Turlogh Dubh O’Brien, and Dark Agnes – although no less worthy. Among those characters who have achieved less notoriety is Breckinridge Elkins, Howard’s brawny-but-not-brainy, tough-as-nails character whose humorous Western exploits take place in and around Bear Creek, Nevada.

I had read very few of the Breckinridge Elkins stories prior to going camping in Algonquin Park this August, but one of the books I brought with me was A Gent From Bear Creek. Although more than half a continent lies between the Sierra Nevada of Bear Creek and the Appalachians of Manly Wade Wellman’s John the Balladeer tales, it seems to me that a “Breckinridge Elkins”-type character would fit in quite well with the Wellman-inspired Shudder Mountains of Michael Curtis’ The Chained Coffin.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Breckinridge Elkins for your DCC game

Post by finarvyn »

Oh, just the mention of Robert E. Howard gets my radar activated. :lol:

I'll confess that I haven't read any of the Breck Elkins stories, but I've sampled just about every other type of story that REH has written and they are all awesome. (I have even enjoyed some of his boxing stories. Boxing? Turns out that in REH's day folks actually cared about boxing. It would be sort of like a modern author writing NFL football stories...)

Anyway, from what I know of Elkins, I agree that he ought to be a great fit in the Chained Coffin setting. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Breckinridge Elkins for your DCC game

Post by Raven_Crowking »

finarvyn wrote:Anyway, from what I know of Elkins, I agree that he ought to be a great fit in the Chained Coffin setting. 8)
I just wish I had read more of the Elkins stories prior to running Coffin as a playtest. I guess, playtesting, I couldn't have really changed it, but I still wish I had interjected B.E. for comedic counterpoint.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “DCC RPG General”