What does Google have that these boards doesn't?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

What does Google have that these boards doesn't?

Post by JediOre »

I finally stumbled onto the DCC-RPG community thing on Google and find it alive with posts while the official forum board here at Goodman is little used.

What is up with that?

Old curmudgeons want to know. :)
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: What does Google have that these boards doesn't?

Post by tovokas »

For many of us Google+ is essential for sharing gaming info. The Goodman Forums are a wonderful exception to the rule, but many forums have grown toxic, and the ability to control who is in your circles on Google+ lets you escape the drama, and just focus on the people that share the kind of information you're interested in. When you throw in the ability to create different circles for different audiences, access all your different communities from one interface, hangouts, image galleries, better linking, etc, I find that the Goodman forum is the only one I even bother with any more.
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

My computer is old and cruddy and when I try to access Google groups I find that my computer freezes or it takes forever to load a page. The few times I've actually accessed groups like that, they seem to be more linear and I can't find anything.

I guess I like message boards better.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

finarvyn wrote:I guess I like message boards better.
Hear! Hear! :D
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

finarvyn wrote:My computer is old and cruddy and when I try to access Google groups I find that my computer freezes or it takes forever to load a page.
a) Reload your operating system to clear out the cobwebs / spyware & bloatware / gremlins hating on your G+ love?

b) Get a new computer? (Even one 3 years old--and thus less expensive than a 2014 model--is likely going to be dramatically better than outdated hardware.)

c) The more you use G+, the better you get at it. NOT using it guarantees you'll never improve / learn new things / become proficient. Asking questions of people who do use G+ is helpful.

d) Harley and Doug Kovacs and Michael Curtis (and all the other cool kids) use G+. Don't you want to be like the cool kids?
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

I hate Google...sorry guys. Google is a government controlled provider and lot more interesting 'stuff.' Google this...google sucks :D

Nothing wrong with GG forum... Just that people think they always need something different to be better...blaaaaa
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Get off my lawn Google! :)

In all seriousness, I know the Goodman Boards will remain a valuable resource, but the reason that there is an order of magnitude more DCC goodness per day going on at g+ is because it provides all sorts of features that a forum can't, in a slick format that many folks enjoy using. And the ad presence is almost non-existant. Believe me, I'm no Google fanboy, but for sharing gaming info, g+ is to me basically indispensable.

I understand and respect those who don't want to use it, or balk at learning 'yet another thing', but I imagine the 'traffic gap' will likely only widen as time goes by.
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

In addition to what @tovokas/Jon Marr said about features (see what I did there... tried to tag someone and was not able to do so as that feature doesn't exist on the forums...), for me it's about reach and engagement. For whatever reason, the G+ Community just seems to be awash in folks who will comment, reply, give feedback, etc. And to Jon's point, I think the features are a big part of that. And while I have no hard numbers to support my theories as it relates to how many people respond/interact here vs. G+, it feels like I receive more engagement there.

That said, I try to frequent both communities regularly. I actually try to make "important" announcements in all the different places (here on the forums, G+, Facebook, and Twitter... hell, I'll even through a pic or two up on Instagram and Pinterest from time to time, I'm not proud.)
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

I just started using G+ and don't really know what I'm doing. However I'm getting better at it each time. I only decided to check it out because everyone I talked to at Gencon asked if I was on G+. They all encouraged me to sign up soon because I was really missing out on a big part of the DCC community. So I would encourage you to give it a try.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I use G+, but I think it is a LOT easier to find materials here. Maybe I just don't know what I am doing on G+, but relocating an old post from someone else seems to be a PITA (to me).
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Raven_Crowking wrote:I use G+, but I think it is a LOT easier to find materials here. Maybe I just don't know what I am doing on G+, but relocating an old post from someone else seems to be a PITA (to me).
This kind of sums up the 'downside', to me. My G+ learning curve has pretty much flat-lined.

On the other hand, you can get VERY rapid responses to questions and opinions to ideas via the G+ group.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

I use both, but the forum end has seriously dropped off. I think there is more of an impression, true or not, that the G+ is more open and liberal with topics and content as long as it has to do with the game. Perhaps not being directly linked to the companies web page is part of that. Also I have found that the G+ group was more the creative end of the game where the forum was more structured and academic. At least those are the impressions I had when I first jumped on the G+ band wagon.

I do agree however that initially the two lived in tandem the forum activity has dropped off significantly.

Part of it is that on G+ you know basically who you are actually talking to as most people use their names. It's tied into an email account most people use for other things and you can multitask. If I am on the board the inly thing I can do is the board. On G+ I can see what is going on in other gaming circles via one platform. I think that directly feeds the feeling of openess I mentioned earlier. Also If I comment I get a notification and can choose to access the conversation again or ignore it after seeing a snipit of what the response was.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

Rostranor wrote:I use both, but the forum end has seriously dropped off. I think there is more of an impression, true or not, that the G+ is more open and liberal with topics and content as long as it has to do with the game. Perhaps not being directly linked to the companies web page is part of that. Also I have found that the G+ group was more the creative end of the game where the forum was more structured and academic. At least those are the impressions I had when I first jumped on the G+ band wagon.

I do agree however that initially the two lived in tandem the forum activity has dropped off significantly.

Part of it is that on G+ you know basically who you are actually talking to as most people use their names. It's tied into an email account most people use for other things and you can multitask. If I am on the board the inly thing I can do is the board. On G+ I can see what is going on in other gaming circles via one platform. I think that directly feeds the feeling of openess I mentioned earlier. Also If I comment I get a notification and can choose to access the conversation again or ignore it after seeing a snipit of what the response was.
g+ dcc group has just recently allowed appendix n talk and people were banned for initiating that kind of discussion. so it is not more open just quicker and it seems that gg authors prefer that platform.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

catseye yellow wrote:. . . and it seems that gg authors prefer that platform.

Well Mr. Goodman needs to put in his contract that all authors are required to spend at least one hour a week on the official boards! :wink:

We can't be having these fellows too much liberty! :lol:
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

I use G+ because I'm interested in several different OSR games, running an in-person DCC game, and playing in several online games. It seems to be a natural meeting place with all the tools I need. I agree with Raven -- finding old posts is impossible, but other than that, it collects all the creative gaming stuff in one interface so I don't have to monitor multiple forums.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

Return to “DCC RPG General”