Ennies

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Ennies

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Cross-posted (with slight edits) from http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2014/0 ... tters.html

MODS: Feel free to move this post if you do not think it belongs in General.

As you may be aware, my adventure, FT 0: Faerie Tales from Unlit Shores: Prince Charming, Reanimator, was nominated for an Ennie as “Best Electronic Book”. (http://www.ennie-awards.com/blog/2014-e ... -nominees/)

Now, I will grant you that I have been critical of EN World in the past (and still am, as the decisions I find offensive still remain in place), but I will also admit that I am pleased by the nomination. But whether or not I am pleased doesn’t matter. What matters is that any time anything wins an award – be it an Oscar, a Grammy, or an Ennie – its profile is boosted. This translates to more sales for the publisher (Purple Duck Games), and this translates to more interest in the system (Dungeon Crawl Classics).

Re: Purple Duck Games

Take a minute and look over all the PDG products for DCC. There are a lot of them. I wrote most of them. In the case of Prince Charming, Reanimator, the product is PWYW to support a kickstarter from Eggplant Productions (http://eggplantproductions.com/) that would provide quality fantasy literature for adults and children alike.

The product has been a success – it has paid for itself and then some – but when Mark Gedak at PDG agreed to take it on, he was paying out of his own pocket for cartography and art to help me help a third party which was not even rpg related. I can’t put into words how many kinds of awesome that is.

I hope you will consider investing in Purple Duck Games with your vote, not only for Prince Charming, Reanimator, but also for Monsters of Porphyra in the Best Monster/Adversary category. I have been discussing with Mark the possibility of converting Porphyra materials to DCC (their Pathfinder versions would still be around!), and PDG doing well in the Ennies would encourage Mark to consider that route.

(I did the official conversions of Harley Stroh’s Well of the Worm and Tower of the Black Pearl for Goodman Games, as well as the DCC conversion for the upcoming edition of GM Gems, so I have some experience in doing this kind of work.)

Re: Dungeon Crawl Classics

I took a look at past Ennie winners, and with the exception of the phenomenal Crawlers’ Companion by Purple Sorcerer (surely the most deserving award winner of all time), I couldn’t find a single DCC product. Not one adventure. Not one.

I have absolute faith that Joseph Goodman’s business plan is not contingent on recognition from EN World.

But. Not. One.

How can The One Who Watches From Below, Bride of the Black Manse, Sailors on the Starless Sea, or Frozen in Time not be recognized? Really? How can they not be at least nominated? What about all the excellent third party products for DCC, like Jon Marr’s A Gathering of the Marked or Stephen Newton’s The Haunting of Larvik Island? Did I just miss them?

Friends, this has got to change. Not only does Purple Duck deserve a higher profile for its work with DCC, but Dungeon Crawl Classics itself needs a higher profile in the Ennies. And in any other fan-based award out there.

Re: Faerie Tales from Unlit Shores

The FT Series is intended as a series of 7 adventures, running from a 0-level funnel (Prince Charming, Reanimator) to a 6th level finale. This is not an “Adventure Path” – the nature of gaining levels in DCC (http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2013/1 ... ength.html) means that the PCs will need to have other quests in and among the FT Series adventures. Once you get past FT 2, which I am currently working on, you will likely need to include another adventure to reach the suggested level for FT 3. Likewise, another two adventures before you are ready for FT 4, etc.

Some of the CE Series modules will be usable in this regard – I am actually working on one with two goblin classes that is intended to potentially tie into the FT Series as well as any other campaign milieu. If I can get permission from their publishers, each FT Series module from FT 3 onward will list suggested adventures, and how to adapt them to the FT milieu.

FT 2 was originally going to be named The Little Mermaid of Innsmouth, and is now being called The Portsmouth Mermaid. Dagon, Cthulhu, and Hans Christian Anderson meet for an adventure within the town of Portsmouth. Needless to say, all is not sweetness and light. I hope to give someone nightmares with my version of the Sea Witch.

In just two modules, the FT Series has already given you two fully described patrons and a new character class, as well as the strangeness and danger that you expect. As the series goes on, the amount of world-building material will only increase. You have been warned.

The FT Series will eventually take you up the beanstalk and into the lands of the Desert Faerie. It may seem hard to ramp up adventures when is already dialed to “11” and you face a dragon at the start. Don’t worry. With six adventures in the series, FT 6 won’t be dialed to “17”; I am shooting for at least “20”!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Ennies

Post by mythfish »

Goodman Games did win the Silver for Fan's Choice Favorite Publisher last year!
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

Well...first you have to submit them... ;)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

mythfish wrote:Goodman Games did win the Silver for Fan's Choice Favorite Publisher last year!
Glad to hear that! I missed it on my search!

:D
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Raven_Crowking wrote:How can The One Who Watches From Below, Bride of the Black Manse, Sailors on the Starless Sea, or Frozen in Time not be recognized? Really? How can they not be at least nominated?
Hey Raven, when I searched for Goodman Games nominees this year, I saw that Jobe's "One Who Watches" was nominated. At least, that's what I thought I saw.

I said it before on G+, but I'll say here as well. Congrats on your nomination! I think it's fantastic and you are beyond worthy of the recognition.
Terry Olson
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Congrats Daniel on your well deserved nomination! (And thanks for the kind words.)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Pesky wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:How can The One Who Watches From Below, Bride of the Black Manse, Sailors on the Starless Sea, or Frozen in Time not be recognized? Really? How can they not be at least nominated?
Hey Raven, when I searched for Goodman Games nominees this year, I saw that Jobe's "One Who Watches" was nominated. At least, that's what I thought I saw.

I said it before on G+, but I'll say here as well. Congrats on your nomination! I think it's fantastic and you are beyond worthy of the recognition.
The One Who Watches From Below was submitted, but not nominated, AFAICT.

Madness, I say. Madness.
SoBH pbp:

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

To be fair to the Ennies, I haven't submitted any products for years. (Still, individual authors do sometimes submit their Goodman Games work.)

To be fair to Goodman Games, let's just say there's a reason I stopped submitting product to the Ennies.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

goodmangames wrote:To be fair to the Ennies, I haven't submitted any products for years. (Still, individual authors do sometimes submit their Goodman Games work.)

To be fair to Goodman Games, let's just say there's a reason I stopped submitting product to the Ennies.
I am absolutely sure that you have good reasons.
SoBH pbp:

ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Cross-posted (with slight edits) from http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2014/0 ... tters.html

How can The One Who Watches From Below, Bride of the Black Manse, Sailors on the Starless Sea, or Frozen in Time not be recognized? Really? How can they not be at least nominated? What about all the excellent third party products for DCC, like Jon Marr’s A Gathering of the Marked or Stephen Newton’s The Haunting of Larvik Island? Did I just miss them?
Mr. Crowking, as always, thanks for the shout out. I didn't bother to submit Larvik this year because some might argue that it wasn't "new enough" as technically it was a re-write of my 4E module--although I can certainly tell you that it was about 70% re-written... really only the main plot hooks remained and some of the description text.

That said, you're absolutely right in that DCC I feel is under-represented. I was very pleased to see the much-deserving Crawler get recognized last year, and your own work is also a very worthy nomination. But I agree that some of the other modules you mentioned are worthy nominations. I think while everyone has a soft spot for Sailors on the Starless Sea, I'm going to put myself out there and say that I think Doom of the Savage Kings deserved a nomination for SOMETHING.

I also think there should be a category for new authors, as some of the stuff I've seen recently coming out of new authors (does SA Mathis and his Transylvania Adventures count as a new author?) were quite impressive.

Anyway, I heartily agree with you.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Voting is now open in the 2014 Ennie Awards.

http://www.ennie-awards.com/vote/

Please consider voting for Prince Charming, Reanimator.

I would love to see Monsters of Porphyria and The Other Side win as well.

Related note: As happy as I am to see my writing nominated, reviews like this one (http://www.frugalgm.com/2014/07/frugal- ... aerie.html) really bring home how much the care and effort Purple Duck Games puts into packaging their products (illustrations, maps, layout, bookmarks, etc.), and how big of an impact that has on the final product.

If Prince Charming does not win, I am sure that whatever does will be excellent, and I will be happy to congratulate the winner! If Prince Charming does win, that is as much due to the efforts of Mark Gedak, Luigi Catellani, Kristian Richards, Perry Fehr, and Jon Marr as it is due to mine. Not to mention Joseph Goodman and the rest of the crew at Goodman Games for putting out such an inspiring product!
SoBH pbp:

tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Voted. :)

And I don't know how they choose their fan favorite publisher list, but it's awesome to see pretty much everyone from our neck of the woods included. The DCC community is awesome and so supportive: I hope Goodman Games wins fave pub again this year! (Regardless!)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Voted!
Terry Olson

Return to “DCC RPG General”