Portal under the stars continuation

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

ralath
Gongfarmer

Portal under the stars continuation

Post by ralath »

I just ran my first DCC game and everyone really enjoyed it. We did Portal Under the Stars and at the end they placed the orb into the niche and spoke. I was just wondering if there was a continuation of this adventure anywhere or if anyone had worked on one themselves?
MonsterSlayer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Portal under the stars continuation

Post by MonsterSlayer »

Good to hear your first game went well. I'm not at all a guru but I don't remember ever hearing of a direct sequel to portal under the stars. It makes a great launch point for your own home brew though. I'd suggest you go crazy and see what you can come up with.

The only time I played that adventure we had a TPK.

That said you may want to check out Frozen in Time.

Spoiler:

It includes a space craft and time travel which might tie well with the sword and planet sort of ending from Portal. It may take a bit of work but the implied cultural setting of Frozen could be different enough to account for any travel the characters encountered at the end of portal.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

If you need dryad's for a home-brewed follow-up, there are two kinds on my blog: http://appendixm.blogspot.com
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Wayfaring_Sword
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Wayfaring_Sword »

I have ran that one a few times myself. While there is no direct sequel to that adventure, it is a great jumping off point to whatever you want to do next.

Examples:

1. Following the adventure, the surviving characters are changed, they cannot simply go back to their old lives. Do a time jump of a few years and have the characters meet up a few years later as 1st level characters.

2.DCC #68 "The People of the Pit" was what I ran following "Portal." Very doable with a little writing.
The Wayfaring Sword

DCC Playtest 2011: Dicehead Games
The 13th Skull Playtest: Saved the duke's daughter
Notable DCC Character: Throdd the Slayer
Mike Loew
Gongfarmer

Post by Mike Loew »

Hi, Ralath. I did write my own adventure to follow "Portal Under The Stars." I ran with the stranger-from-beyond's call to action (burn the wood of a dryad's tree to reveal where the missing half of the Rulership Rod lies) and created a "Forest of the Dryad" adventure with six encounters, a memorable NPC, a big final fight, and a twist at the end.

Would it be suitable to share my adventure on this forum? It's seven pages long.

Once my PCs had stolen The Dryad's wood and burned it in their brazier, the missing half of the Rulership Rod was revealed—beneath the ruined keep of "Sailors on the Starless Sea." (Dangling from the belt of Molan the Chaos Lord, of course.)
dseppling
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dseppling »

Mike, yes, please do post your stuff. I've been meaning to get to the dryad for a while and your work would be a great help.

Return to “DCC RPG General”