D20 Questions

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

D20 Questions

Post by goodmangames »

Hi everyone,

Gen Con is just around the corner (at least if you're a publisher worried about print deadlines), and it's time to start thinking about the 2014 Gen Con Program Guide. This year's program guide will have a lot of fun features, including new adventures for DCC RPG, Age of Cthulhu, and Metamorphosis Alpha; previews of upcoming products; bonus material for Dungeon Alphabet; Xcrawl fiction; and some other items I'm probably forgetting. I would also like it to include some interviews with Goodman Games creators…but in a very fun way.

Here's where you come in! Help me come up with a list of 20 very interesting questions. These should be directed to artists and writers who work on our products, as well as all the other folks who help in other ways (shipping, manning the con booths, helping with marketing, etc.).

I will then send the list to the team, and everyone rolls 6d20. Then they have to answer the 6 questions that come up. (And post the dice photo online so we can all verify!)

I think it will be fun…especially if the questions are fun. Let's have some questions on their backgrounds, favorite games, how they got into this crazy gig, most memorable game moments. Maybe even some personal stuff (first kiss?). The dice will dictate which ones get answered…

So, post away and tell me what YOU want to hear! I'll compile the questions into a table and then we'll get them answered. And who knows, maybe the table will expand to d24, d30, or even d% if there are enough questions.

Here's my submission to kick it off: "What do you remember about your first D&D game?"
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: D20 Questions

Post by Doug Kovacs »

" what would you rather have bite you on the balls,…. a dog or an alligator?"
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Doug Kovacs wrote:" what would you rather have bite you on the balls,…. a dog or an alligator?"
Well, obviously a dog. You're on land and you're not going to drown. And it would be a lot faster to get to a hospital.

This one doesn't count…too easy. Come on, Doug, we need some real questions here!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

i have a morbid one:

do you remember the first character of yours that died in a rpg game? who s/he was and how s/he died?
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

goodmangames wrote:
Doug Kovacs wrote:" what would you rather have bite you on the balls,…. a dog or an alligator?"
Well, obviously a dog. You're on land and you're not going to drown. And it would be a lot faster to get to a hospital.

This one doesn't count…too easy. Come on, Doug, we need some real questions here!
I'd actually go with alligator. If I'm going to be bit in the balls, I want the most interesting story possible.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Icetower
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Icetower »

Question for Doug Kovacs: With all of the work you have done for DCC, you always sign your name and use that "Doug Symbol". What does it mean, if anything, and is it your own design or an ancient symbol that already existed, which you adopted for your own use? Since it's seen on all of your artwork, including belt buckles and t-shirts, I'm just wondering if we are all furthering your evil cult by wearing and exposing the symbol to others. Like if we get 666 belt buckles in the same room (Gary Con), will something wicked this way come?

Asked with jokey context, but really curious about it.
-Daniel W. Cisek-
See my gaming blog at orcsamongus!
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

To the whole team: what are your stats if you convert yourselves to DCC RPG?
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

Icetower wrote:Question for Doug Kovacs: With all of the work you have done for DCC, you always sign your name and use that "Doug Symbol". What does it mean, if anything, and is it your own design or an ancient symbol that already existed, which you adopted for your own use? Since it's seen on all of your artwork, including belt buckles and t-shirts, I'm just wondering if we are all furthering your evil cult by wearing and exposing the symbol to others. Like if we get 666 belt buckles in the same room (Gary Con), will something wicked this way come?

Asked with jokey context, but really curious about it.
I'm pretty sure I talk about that on the spell burn interview, also : http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/?p=72

How can we convert that into a more general question for Joe's purposes …… lets see……."
I know .
" Are you now or have you ever been in an evil cult or circle of necromancers?"
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

mythfish wrote:
goodmangames wrote:

I'd actually go with alligator. If I'm going to be bit in the balls, I want the most interesting story possible.

I maintain this is a good and fun question.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
Zenitii
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Zenitii »

What's the most embarassing roleplaying moment you experienced (well, maybe not all kind of roleplaying should be included here :D)? May also be the funniest one.
What's your biggest inspiration when creating fantasy content?
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

" Who do you like best? Jesus, John the Baptist, George W. Bush or Tiamat? Why in brief?"
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

1. If you could officially add up to 3 books /authors to Appendix N, which would they be?
2. Tell us about a rule or design idea that you campaigned for in the development of DCCRPG that got left out.
3. We all know of Joseph Goodman’s many, many positive qualities. Elaborate, if you will (dare?), on one of his negative ones (if any?)… ;-)
4. If a sitcom based on Goodman Games was produced, who would be the best (or most entertaining) choices to play you and your fellow GG crew members?
5. Could you beat Doug Kovacs in a staring contest? (Doug, assume you’re looking in a mirror).
6. Name an especially atypical source (book, film, song, etc) or two that inspired you in your work for Goodman Games.
7. Hugh Heftblade (aka Hugh the Barbarian) needs a catchphrase; what should it be?
8. It seems like any type of funky dice is possible now (d9, d11, etc). What, if any, would you like to see added to the DCC dice chain, and what would it be used for?
9. Describe your favorite Mighty Deed so far (either as done by you, one of your players, etc)
10. In a dream you’re running 4-6 highly famous personages (live or dead) that you admire through a funnel. Who are they?
11. If Goodman Games sponsored a kids little league team, what should their name be (Goodman Games “________”s)
12. Same as 11 above, but an adult softball team (Goodman Games “________”s)
13. Joke contest! (Quick, “tell” the first joke you can think of). See if you (even if it’s you, Dieter) can top Dieter Zimmerman’s “What do you call an alligator in a vest? (an in-vest-i-gator).
14. Is there a rule from another RPG that you like to mix in when you run DCC (or X-Crawl, MA, etc)? What is it?
15. Describe yourself in big, High Gygaxian (Curtisian?) words.
16. Ekim has his Mystical mask, Hepsoj his Fecund Fungi. Describe a spell (just the basic idea, unless you’re so inclined) for Yelrah, Reteid, Goud Scavok, Eboj, Relpmaw, etc?
17. What’s the most unusual thing you’ve assigned game stats to? What were they?
18. Here’s an easy one: rate the Spellburn podcast in their own terms: A) Critical Hit, B) Hit, C) Miss, D) Fumble
19. You’re told pre-game that you can equip your DCC character with any mundane, non-magical, anachronistic items; name a few unconventional things you’d take
20. Harley & Doug vs. Mike & Cory “DM Cojo” Gahsman in a game of pickup basketball… final score?
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

Given the choice between the two I'd have to go with alligator, as they are ambush predators most commonly found lurking in the muddy shallows where water meets land, and the fact that on average they have more than 6500# of bite pressure. The way I figure it: I'm most likely to be attacked on a beach or strand of river, and if all that bastard could get hold of was my balls then with that kind of bite pressure they'd be torn off quick and clean with minimal collateral damage. Thus, leaving me free to run for my life, or at least the 100ft or so needed to out distance the gator on land. Especially since in my case it'd be in pain from the broken teeth and will have been greatly slowed by the added weights in its belly ....

Brass Monkey.... 8)
Wayfaring_Sword
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Wayfaring_Sword »

1. Who/What was your first Appendix N author/novel?
2. What music do you listen to get psyched up for a DCC Game?
3. What is do you think is the best monster that was created in a DCC Module that you did NOT write?
4. What piece of your work on the DCC RPG and Modules are you the most proud of? Exp. The rules for spellburning, a module encounter, or an illustration.
5. The dice you think is not used enough of in gaming? (d8, d12, etc.)
6. Which creator or creators had the MOST influence on you?
7. Which RPG Monster was the most terrifying when you were a kid?
8. Favorite film/book/song that inspires you to go create?
9. The best character from Appendix N that best represents the heart & soul of the DCC RPG?
10. Where would you like to see the DCC RPG brand in 5 years?

Edited for Doug Kovacs.

When THE ARTIST of DCC RPG asks you to switch your questions up, you simply do it. ;)
Last edited by Wayfaring_Sword on Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Wayfaring Sword

DCC Playtest 2011: Dicehead Games
The 13th Skull Playtest: Saved the duke's daughter
Notable DCC Character: Throdd the Slayer
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

For the record…… Joseph knows this already…..
I very much dislike "what's you favorite " questions, I know it takes more imagination to think of other types of questions but give it shot please
… not trying to be a dick here… but yes I know I'm a dick.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
Wayfaring_Sword
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Wayfaring_Sword »

Doug Kovacs wrote:For the record…… Joseph knows this already…..
I very much dislike "what's you favorite " questions, I know it takes more imagination to think of other types of questions but give it shot please
… not trying to be a dick here… but yes I know I'm a dick.

Edited my post, boss man.
The Wayfaring Sword

DCC Playtest 2011: Dicehead Games
The 13th Skull Playtest: Saved the duke's daughter
Notable DCC Character: Throdd the Slayer
MonsterSlayer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by MonsterSlayer »

1. Would you walk up to that van if you didn't know who owned if?
2. More DCC art should feature which of the following:
A. Mullets
B. Platform Soles
C. Wrist bands
D. Tigers

3. What song would your character ride into battle to?
4. If you could design a pop tart flavor, what would it be?
5. About that van again, how often is it vacumed?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Hey guys, these are great questions! Keep 'em coming.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Cthulhuoid
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Cthulhuoid »

Here's one I muse about from time to time from days past, in the era our favorite game hearkens back to -

Who among the band has the most "your going to hell", "your guilty of summoning the devil", or some such experiences back in the day?

Why, I recall to this day back in the 80's when I was kicked out of my friends house for "trying to bring the devil into our home", by simply having a PHB & some dice with me at the time. His mother forbid us to be friends after that. Our mothers consulted, and our pastor was consulted. Luckily, my parent's pastor didn't see any harm in D&D, and said it was each congregation's opinion. I would have lost them in the fire for sure depending on that conversation :roll: -

That was my first one, I had at least 3 other confrontations after that that come to mind

Some of the younger gamers out there should know what we had to suffer through to pioneer the hobby! :lol: Gaming has come along way, finally, and is bouncing back to it's origins. 8)
Judge Roy Snyder
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

Cthulhuoid wrote:Here's one I muse about from time to time from days past, in the era our favorite game hearkens back to -

Who among the band has the most "your going to hell", "your guilty of summoning the devil", or some such experiences back in the day?

Why, I recall to this day back in the 80's when I was kicked out of my friends house for "trying to bring the devil into our home", by simply having a PHB & some dice with me at the time. His mother forbid us to be friends after that. Our mothers consulted, and our pastor was consulted. Luckily, my parent's pastor didn't see any harm in D&D, and said it was each congregation's opinion. I would have lost them in the fire for sure depending on that conversation :roll: -

That was my first one, I had at least 3 other confrontations after that that come to mind

Some of the younger gamers out there should know what we had to suffer through to pioneer the hobby! :lol: Gaming has come along way, finally, and is bouncing back to it's origins. 8)
I could probably answer this question for others as well, but to sate your curiosity I'll just speak for myself:

I grew up in the north west suburbs of Chicago where it was common knowledge that different cultures, and religions existed besides one's own. In fact we all lived side by side and went to school together and saw it every day. So, something so silly and narrow-minded as D&D being satanic was never an issue for me as a child. Sorry to hear you had to deal with that kind of crap, and glad you survived it.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

MonsterSlayer wrote:1. Would you walk up to that van if you didn't know who owned if?
2. More DCC art should feature which of the following:
A. Mullets
B. Platform Soles
C. Wrist bands
D. Tigers

3. What song would your character ride into battle to?
4. If you could design a pop tart flavor, what would it be?
5. About that van again, how often is it vacumed?
:shock:

:twisted:
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Question 33 1/3:

"You're in an enormous cave lit by several torches placed in naturally-occurring sconces. Before you, you see three pools of liquid making up small (roughly) 20 foot by 20 foot 'lakes'.

Pool 1 appears to be normal, clear water. Despite nothing being in the liquid, you occasionally see odd ripples across the top of the surface as if an invisible hand were randomly caressing it...or something transparent were briefly surfacing...

Pool 2 has a crimson-red liquid--but it's obvious to you it's not blood, as it never congeals. The surface bubbles as if the liquid were rapidly boiling. Hovering six feet above the scarlet liquid is an large, elaborate bronze key about the length of your hand. You don't know what it unlocks.

Pool 3 appears to consist entirely of razor blades--they gleam and glint wickedly in the wan light, shifting and cresting as if to their own mysterious tide. On an earthen island in the middle of this lake of razor blades, however, is a large pile of gold.

Which pool do you choose...and why?"

....(And randomly determining the result via a D3/D6 is totally acceptable.)
Last edited by Ogrepuppy on Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Rick wrote:1. If you could officially add up to 3 books /authors to Appendix N, which would they be?

5. Could you beat Doug Kovacs in a staring contest? (Doug, assume you’re looking in a mirror).

16. Ekim has his Mystical mask, Hepsoj his Fecund Fungi. Describe a spell (just the basic idea, unless you’re so inclined) for Yelrah, Reteid, Goud Scavok, Eboj, Relpmaw, etc?
Some personal favorite questions in a list full of goodies! (I'm particularly fascinated with Yelrah's spell(s). :D
darjr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by darjr »

What seedy place of ill repute do ye retire to when the world can go gong farming?
What can we do ye for if'n we stumble upon ye while ye got the morbs in such a place?
And if'n we do would ye mind a bit o' powderin' hair so's we can have a right benjo?
Bertrag DeepDelver
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Bertrag DeepDelver »

When my wife attempts to explain our RPG to non-gamers, she calls it "story game" and quickly changes the subject.

1)How do you describe RPG's to non-gamers (or what do you call it if you wouldnt bother describing it)?

2)What is your conversion ratio when introducing newbies to the hobbyy(Im batting about 400 I would guess)?

3)Have you ever lied about playing RPGs (if so to whom and when)?

Return to “DCC RPG General”