DCC RPG Annual on the horizon?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

DCC RPG Annual on the horizon?

Post by Rick »

It's not much, but the fabled DCC RPG Annual is name-dropped in an upcoming adventure I'm playtesting (as in, "Please refer to the first DCC RPG Annual for more information about..."). Our long wait may be ending.

Note: I asked for & received permission from Joseph to mention this.
Last edited by Rick on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arijuna
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: DCC RPG Annual on the horizon?

Post by Arijuna »

Annual? Like a yearly magazine, or what?
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

Designer's Blog #1: What It Is, And What It Isn't
ttp://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 732#p28732
goodmangames wrote:
brogan_a wrote:Is this book the equivalent to a PHB? Or will it have everything the DMG and MM would have? I am quite willing to fork over the 40.00 to pre-order it, I just want to know what to expect. Thanks!
It's PHB + DMG + MM.

The modern RPG industry sustains itself by publishing splatbooks. In some ways, I think this detracts from the game. After a few years, the "point of entry" is lost in "rule book bloat" -- new players feel overwhelmed by having so many options and so much complexity to grasp before they're on par with the existing players. And the rules complexity just expands exponentially as all these loopholes and special rules interact with each other.

I read an interesting statistic a couple years ago, where at a certain point (I think it was in late 2008 or early 2009) somebody calculated that the OD&D movement had now published more written words than everything TSR ever published for AD&D. I need to dig up that link. It was interesting not only in that so many fans had created so much material online (in between OSRIC and Swords & Wizardry and Labyrinth Lord and the many other retro clones, plus all the old-school style modules, plus the myriad blog posts, and so on)...but also the contrast between early AD&D and the modern WotC publishing schedule. You didn't have to keep up with much from TSR in the early days -- maybe one hardback a year, and of course lots of modules from which you could pick and choose. Well, I like that model. It keeps it simple. DCC RPG will be supported by a lot of adventure modules. And maybe one rules expansion a year, if that. Think of it as an "annual," that will contain whatever cool rules ideas came up in the prior year. There's room for OGL/licensed support, and I'm sure some of the licensed products will contain lots of good ideas as well. But I'd like to sustain a model where the point of entry is simple, the complexity never becomes overwhelming, and the game is supported by tons of evocative adventures that encourage campaigns founded in the roots of swords & sorcery.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Rick, thanks for posting this -- even if for nothing more than pulling out that mention in blue which makes it clear the term 'annual' was speculative, and wasn't a guarantee that there would be one every year...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

A good point. Many posters have come from the position that an Annual each year was a "done deal" as opposed to some sort of "maybe we'll do this occasionally" kind of thing.

Maybe we shouldn't call it an "Annual" but maybe use the term "Expansion" or "Supplement" or something like that. Hmmmm.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

I am excited about this one!
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

If its all new material some kind if "Book of Forgotten Lore" if its a compilation of material from previously published material then a compendium of some kind. Just my two immaterial cents.
Arijuna
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Arijuna »

My wallet waits with fear and anticipation!
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

I burn all my luck to ensure success! :shock:
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

huzzah! fingers crossed for more info soonish.
ajtheronin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ajtheronin »

Call me a party popper but the fact that a future adventure will say "Please refer to the first DCC RPG Annual for more information about..." does not excite me since one of the selling points of DCC was that I wouldn't need any other book for rules when running DCC modules aside from the core book.

That said, intrigued by what the Annual will contain.
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

ajtheronin wrote:...since one of the selling points of DCC was that I wouldn't need any other book for rules when running DCC modules aside from the core book.
You won't. :)
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

ajtheronin wrote:Call me a party popper but the fact that a future adventure will say "Please refer to the first DCC RPG Annual for more information about..." does not excite me since one of the selling points of DCC was that I wouldn't need any other book for rules when running DCC modules aside from the core book.

That said, intrigued by what the Annual will contain.
Let's suppose that it could be an entirely inconsequential thing, like there are a bunch of icons of the gods decorating a wall... Some of those are explained further in the "Annual", but that info has no bearing on the adventure if you don't have the Annual. But if you want to expand in that direction, that's where the info is published... So folks don't waste time searching and re-searching the main book.

*end speculation*
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The mention of the Annual does not occur in such a way that the Annual is required to run the adventure in any way, shape, or form.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
ajtheronin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ajtheronin »

michaelcurtis wrote:
You won't. :)
Raven_Crowking wrote:The mention of the Annual does not occur in such a way that the Annual is required to run the adventure in any way, shape, or form.
That is good to know. :)
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

I want more information aboutthe annual! I am ready for it and chomping at the bit!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Well, Joseph needs to have a few secrets, right? 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

Never change the name! At this point the Annual is mixed into the background/lore of DCCRPG.

If they ever do even print one up like 10 years after the rule book was put out, I hope it contains a back cover add like page for whats in the next Annual! What a Hoot!
Clangador
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Clangador »

I'll buy a copy.
~Clangador

I'm not a wizard but I play one in DCC...

Join the DCC RPG Rocks Facebook group.
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

There was no mention of the annual at last weekend's "What's new with Goodman Games" seminar at GaryCon...and there wasn't time to ask questions of Mr. Goodman due to another seminar starting. I would love to see it though.
bookish
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bookish »

I have been hunting down PDFs of TSR rule books and the like in preparation to be a DM/GM/Judge with DCC. It has been helpful for me to get some clarification on what might be considered "jurisprudence" for dungeon crawls, as the DCC manual presupposes those who purchase it have a certain background. But, they are not required. At the same time, I want to create my own world, and not simply buy modules of games that others have designed, though it could be fun. I like how loose and open the approach to DCC has been. The idea of an annual makes me feel like a culture that I want to be a part of (with open rule set and imagination running wild not just for the players, but for the judges who wish to create their own worlds) might be encroached upon by "official" changes. I'd rather be a part of a tradition inspired by appendix N (or by other fantastical works and my own imagination) than be regulated down the line by new rules that limit. Hopefully an "annual" adds more open ended guidelines to spur creativity, like the idea that there are 716 spells, and we are only supplied with a small sampling to allow us to create. When I am creating my space mage patron and spells, or my own pantheon of gods, it is not in the hopes that it will become canon, but something I hope others will enjoy to play with.
xmiyux
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Lost Legion: The Vault

Post by xmiyux »

Did this ever get done? I just recently got into the game and am slowly picking up things that sound interesting and this sounds kind of neat!
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

In a way, yes, but not quite how it was intended. The idea to release a yearly supplement containing new material for DCC RPG inadvertently turned in the Gen Con Programs Goodman Games sells each year at Gen Con. At first, they were simply a compilation of previously-published DCC stuff in a single volume, but the program has since grown to include new material. I believe 2016 will be the first time the Gen Con Program is actually called "The DCC RPG Annual."

If you'd like to catch up, I'd advise starting with the Gen Con 2014 Program and the Gen Con 2015 Program as these were the first with new gaming material especially written for DCC, Metamorphosis Alpha, Call of Cthulhu, and other titles in the Goodman Games product line. You can get the programs in either PDF from DriveThruRPG or in printed form from the Goodman Games online store.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
xmiyux
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Lost Legion: The Vault

Post by xmiyux »

Ok, I wondered what the Gen Con guide was and whether it was all DCC or whatnot. I have been collecting the various zines but wanted to keep up on official Goodman Games stuff.

Thanks!

Return to “DCC RPG General”