Apologies in advance (RE: SPAM)

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Apologies in advance (RE: SPAM)

Post by finarvyn »

Just to let folks know, we've been hit with a bunch of SPAM recently. You don't see it, of course, because it has to go through an Admin to be approved before it hits the public board.

I had to kill 59 posts this AM and, as best as I can tell, 58 of them were SPAM. I approved the one legit post, and hope that I found the only one in the pile.

Apologies in advance to any new posters hoping to get a message approved. I'm trying hard to be sure that your post reaches the public, but with so much SPAM it's possible that one will slip past me. :oops:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Maxwell Luther
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Apologies in advance (RE: SPAM)

Post by Maxwell Luther »

Dude, that is happening to Jabberwocky-Media.com as well. It is such a PITA dealing with those bloody things. If people want Burberry, or whatever the hell else is being sold (I can't read Chinese which half of the damned things are in) they won't be looking for it on my site.

Truth is, I expect that it is totally random and the spammers are just spreading it around so they can tell the stupid morons that hire them that they've 'advertised' on a lot of sites even though 99% of their posts are deleted. Something really needs to be done about telling the businesses being advertised that they're wasting money and losing business all in one fell swoop.

Or we could find the spammers and cut all their fingers off. I doubt any jury in the world would convict us for doing that...
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

I also deleted any recently created accounts classified as "inactive" (e.g. without any posts) so that the SPAM dudes least need to recreate their accounts.

Once more, apologies to any legitimate folks who might be inconvenienced by my actions. Just trying to kill that SPAM.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by boneguard »

Mongoose publishing is also getting hit badly by spam.

But hopefully not many people -if any- are getting their account/post deleted accidently.
Arijuna
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Arijuna »

I made a post in All things A-R-T related titled "Wanted: Artist collaborator for 3rd party OSR project"

It was not approved:
Hello Arijuna,

You are receiving this notification because your topic "Wanted: Artist
collaborator for 3rd party OSR project" at "Goodman Games" was disapproved
by a moderator or administrator.

The following reason was given for the disapproval:

The message contains links to illegal or pirated software.
That is really weird as my post contained no links!
What gives?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Arijuna, your post is exactly why I started this thread. I killed another 67 SPAM threads this evening and try to look carefully as I wipe them out but sometimes one gets whacked that should be approved instead. :oops:
Arijuna wrote:That is really weird as my post contained no links!
What gives?
The "links" message is the default. One of the moderators has to manually toggle a switch to get a different rejection message. I don't recall seeing your message, but if you repost it I'll try to get it approved.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”