Greetings from Shane

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

SmellHole
Ill-Fated Peasant

Greetings from Shane

Post by SmellHole »

:mrgreen: Greetings!

I'm Shane. Long time gamer, etc, etc. Been forced to play D&D 3.x and Pathfinder for the past 12.5 years and I'm sick to death of it. I've always been on the look out for new games, especially "the" game every gamer looks for. While DCC RPG isn't quite that for me I'm so glad I discovered it anyway. It's take on gaming is so new (even though it really isn't) and refreshing that it just sucks you in. When I was reading the rules the game made me want to play and it's been a terrible long count of years since that's happened. We're playing right now and having a blast.

Just wanted to introduce myself. And point people to my thread asking for input on my skill system (http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 60&t=44777).

My one complaint (not really): the author goes on about the XP system helping the busy GM... and this in a 500 page book that tells you to make your own monsters. Kind of a funny inconsistent message I thought.

Thanks.
::: Shane
::: It's better to have loved and lost than to never have had a good pair of speakers.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: (*)(*)

Post by finarvyn »

Hey, Shane. You might want to go back and rename the thread so that folks know what it's about. :?
SmellHole wrote:My one complaint (not really): the author goes on about the XP system helping the busy GM... and this in a 500 page book that tells you to make your own monsters. Kind of a funny inconsistent message I thought.
Well, the game does have a few different philosophies put together. I can see where it may seem strange, but the two ideas aren't intended to be one philosophy.

(1) From a design perspective, the intent of the simplified XP system is to free the GM from having to count petty numbers along the line. XP are earned in terms of adventures or quests instead of specific counting of items found or critters slain.

(2) The intent of the game is also to create an environment where monsters are individual and not generic. For example, you might encounter "the Minotaur" instead of "a minotaur." Naturally, this does require more work by the GM in the form of monster creation or monster conversion. When I run DCC, if I want a generic monster I just grab a random monster book (from OD&D, AD&D, C&C, or wherever) and grab their stats and just "wing it."

So, one of the choices is that of game mechanics while the other is atmsophere.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
SmellHole
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: (*)(*)

Post by SmellHole »

Sorry, my sorta-complaint wasn't meant to warrant a justification on anyone's part. Just an observation I thought was humorous.

I do hope to see more monsters in future books, though. I love monster books. And spells. More spells, too.

By the by, I use the pathfinder SRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com) for base stats when I convert a monster. Works real well and is pretty fast.
::: Shane
::: It's better to have loved and lost than to never have had a good pair of speakers.

Return to “DCC RPG General”