DCC RPG extra products?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

DCC RPG extra products?

Post by Guang »

I have the core rules book, but it only goes up to level 5. Are higher levels going to be added later? Are there going to be new spells, or anything else added? Is there a timeframe or a guess for any of this?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: DCC RPG extra products?

Post by finarvyn »

Guang wrote:I have the core rules book, but it only goes up to level 5. Are higher levels going to be added later? Are there going to be new spells, or anything else added? Is there a timeframe or a guess for any of this?
I'm guessing this is a PDF and not a physical copy of the book, because what you have sounds a lot like the "Beta" playtest version from a couple of years ago.

All "dead tree" printings of the rulebook book and all current PDF copies of DCC all should have levels 1-10.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

My bad. Bad memory - I was thinking of spell levels, I think. I just checked, and I do have 10 levels. The question still stands, though.....
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Don't worry, those ten levels are the same as twenty levels in D&D. Just different scale. As for more content, the issues of Crawl! fanzine and Angels, Daemons and Beings Between are highly recommended. You can find them on DriveThruRPG. I'm in a hurry now so won't post any links, but you'll find them on these forums. ;)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

Ravenheart87 wrote:Don't worry, those ten levels are the same as twenty levels in D&D. Just different scale.
I've heard a lot of that recently - Hackmaster people say that their 20 levels map to 10 levels in D&D. Would that mean that 5 DCC levels would be the same as 20 Hackmaster levels?
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Guang wrote:
Ravenheart87 wrote:Don't worry, those ten levels are the same as twenty levels in D&D. Just different scale.
I've heard a lot of that recently - Hackmaster people say that their 20 levels map to 10 levels in D&D. Would that mean that 5 DCC levels would be the same as 20 Hackmaster levels?
Something similar, but it's not accurate of course. HackMaster's 20 level is similar in power to 10 levels in AD&D, because HackMaster uses half levels. In HackMaster you don't get new Hit Dice on even levels, so a 20th level fighter has 10d10 hit points from his levels (plus his Constitution value, plus his racial base), just like a 10th level fighter in AD&D.

It's a bit more complicated in the case of DCC and D&D3e, since it's not a simple Hit Dice to Hit Dice conversion. As a rule of thumb we usually say that in DCC RPG your level would worth twice as much as in D&D3e, because you have more awesome stuff and zero level bonuses and various boons you've quested for. In DCC RPG 10th is epic level because of what your characters can accomplish and how much time it takes to reach it. Thanks to the nature of DCC RPG, I think it's actually harder to reach 10th level in DCC RPG than 20th in D&D3e.
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

Ravenheart87 wrote:
Guang wrote:
(snip - awesomely clear explanation)

It's a bit more complicated in the case of DCC and D&D3e, since it's not a simple Hit Dice to Hit Dice conversion. As a rule of thumb we usually say that in DCC RPG your level would worth twice as much as in D&D3e, because you have more awesome stuff and zero level bonuses and various boons you've quested for. In DCC RPG 10th is epic level because of what your characters can accomplish and how much time it takes to reach it. Thanks to the nature of DCC RPG, I think it's actually harder to reach 10th level in DCC RPG than 20th in D&D3e.
So if a DCC character were playing with D&D3e characters, should they level up only once every two levels for everyone else? - you did say it was more complicated than that though. Sorry for putting that in such a weird way, just trying to wrap my head around it.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Guang wrote:So if a DCC character were playing with D&D3e characters, should they level up only once every two levels for everyone else? - you did say it was more complicated than that though. Sorry for putting that in such a weird way, just trying to wrap my head around it.
Well, it would be interesting to play with them together. DCC awards experience in a very different way and the characters have very different resources. I don't think it's possible to simply run a game with DCC and 3e characters together. You should convert them to either system, and for this the above mentioned level conversion rate is more or less reasonable, but still very rough.
oncelor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by oncelor »

Last session the party of sixth level characters got a critical result casting the first level "Bless" spell, which gave one party member and everyone within 5' of him +8 on all attack, damage, saving throws, and spell casting checks. The cleric recast bless with this +8 bonus and got a +9 bonus effective for all characters within 10' of the targeted ally. By using this +7 to +9 bonus to all spell checks the clerics were able to keep an average +8 to all attacks, damage, saving throws, and spell checks for pretty much the whole party for pretty much the entire session. The wizard was able to cast enlarge at +8 to make several party members large size and +6 to all attacks and damage. With the cumulative bonus from bless the whole front line of the party was fighting at +15 to hit and damage and +6 AC. With the +9 bonus to casting "Protection from Evil" combined with the effects of "Bless", the whole party was +13 to all saves against every monster except the golem.

In terms of 3e D&D characters, the party had combat stats roughly equal to unadjusted 19th level characters. If my memory 3e isn't too far off, these would be stats for buffed-up 15th level 3e characters. In any case when the wizards started casting their spells with an average +16 bonus, the party was much, much more powerful than any 6th level party in any edition of D&D that I've ever played. Low level DCC spells like color spray and web with maximal spell results (which with a +16 bonus was happening about 25% of the time they were cast) have effects that would require a 9th level "wish" spell to obtain in AD&D.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

...were they applying that "bless" on party members of opposite alignment continuously? That does sound like a perfect opportunity for Deity or Patron intervention-I like Polymorph cast on their behalf or just a really unlucky cursed piece of treasure.

Or, just let the game day end and the need for constant blessings become immaterial, "so a week later while you are taking a dump and forgot to maintain your blessing..."

Return to “DCC RPG General”