DCC needs an overland adventure and epic campaign

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

DCC needs an overland adventure and epic campaign

Post by MrHemlocks »

I really enjoy running the DCC one shot adventures and my players likewise do, but DCC needs something else. We need a overland adventure, here & back again, and a large epic campaign. The two elements can even be combined and not need to be put into one book. They could be spread out, multi books, over a period of a year.

Is the problem, with making, an overland adventure and epic campaign on account that DCC does not yet have a newly printed campaign setting? :?:
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: DCC needs an overland adventure and epic campaign

Post by Skars »

While you wait for an official DCC setting, I can suggest the following:

1. Isle of the Unknown
2. Qelong
3. Castle Whiterock
4. Carcosa
5. Judges Guild - Wilderlands
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Yes! I already have a campaign setting, http://www.rpgnow.com/product/89944/Blackmarsh , and it is great. Such an old school feel to it. I just believe that DCC really needs something more than one shot adventures. An epic campaign with wilderness adventures would be great for the game. Like I said before the epic campaign and wilderness adventures could be one and the same and split up over numerous smaller books.
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

I'm currently running the Enemy Within campaign using DCC. 4 players with 8 characters is working well so far but the 3 magic users In the group may soon end up on the wrong side of the Witchhunters. :evil: :twisted: :lol:
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I'm working on my own setting for my next sandbox campaign. 20 races, 10 classes - I'm not normal. We'll start in a few weeks, at least I hope so.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Ravenheart87 wrote:I'm working on my own setting for my next sandbox campaign. 20 races, 10 classes - I'm not normal. We'll start in a few weeks, at least I hope so.
Cool. Would you mind sharing some of your material, such as races and classes?
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Skyscraper wrote:
Ravenheart87 wrote:I'm working on my own setting for my next sandbox campaign. 20 races, 10 classes - I'm not normal. We'll start in a few weeks, at least I hope so.
Cool. Would you mind sharing some of your material, such as races and classes?
Some of them I will. Classes need some more work, I followed simple guidelines for them laid down by me, since I don't really care about balance and DCC isn't a balance centric game either. I'm quite satisfied with the occupation lists, even if they aren't as creative as I want to. I'm curious how everything will work once the campaign begins...

From the core book I use the cleric, thief, warrior, wizard classes, and wrote notes for bard, druid, monk, paladin, psychic, ranger. As for races, you can fide the usual demihumans, some humanoids, some beastmen and some extremities. So it's possible, that an android warrior, an lizardman cleric, a drow thief, a thulean wizard, an insectoid monk and a merman druid walk into a bar.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Crimsontree wrote:I'm currently running the Enemy Within campaign using DCC. 4 players with 8 characters is working well so far but the 3 magic users In the group may soon end up on the wrong side of the Witchhunters. :evil: :twisted: :lol:
Ooh, that's an excellent idea.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I think the difficulty with this question is this: DCC is a set of rules for use with "Appendix N" flavored games.

But that flavor palette is absolutely all over the map (so to speak, and while mixing metaphors). You think they can create one setting that can satisfy the Appendix N itch of everybody?

I think what they are doing is providing elements (adventures) with Appendix N goodness in them, that can be added to whatever style of game you're running (or not, if a particular adventure doesn't float your boat). And I gather they are doing it very well.

One setting would be counter-productive to what they are doing, it seems to me...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

I am working on adapting Beedo's "Black City" sandbox for a DCC game

http://dreamsinthelichhouse.blogspot.co ... oject.html
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Ravenheart87 wrote:an android warrior, an lizardman cleric, a drow thief, a thulean wizard, an insectoid monk and a merman druid walk into a bar.
I'm waiting for the joke that usually comes with that preamble.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Skyscraper wrote:
Ravenheart87 wrote:an android warrior, an lizardman cleric, a drow thief, a thulean wizard, an insectoid monk and a merman druid walk into a bar.
I'm waiting for the joke that usually comes with that preamble.
An android warrior, a lizardman cleric, a drow thief, a thulean wizard, and insectoid monk, and a mermaid druid walking into a bar.

You'd think one of them would have seen it.
Wait a tick....how did the mermaid druid walk?
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Wait a tick....how did the mermaid druid walk?
...with difficulty.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

GnomeBoy wrote:
...with difficulty.
Merman. This is what mermen look like in my setting:
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Cool enough. The merfolk in Poul Anderson have legs, too.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

BTW, unless something untoward happens in the approval process, I suggest that you keep your eyes out for the first issue of DAMN, which is expected to be published electronically in October. You may find something to your liking.
SoBH pbp:

Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

If it is as good as Crawl or any of your adventures RC, then I have no doubt it will be killer!
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Sandbox has never been my style until Dark Sun came out. Then the whole survival thing became fun. I really cannot wait for Tales to come out.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Karaptis wrote:If it is as good as Crawl or any of your adventures RC, then I have no doubt it will be killer!
Thanks. I hope it lives up to your expectations.
SoBH pbp:

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

GnomeBoy wrote:I think what they are doing is providing elements (adventures) with Appendix N goodness in them, that can be added to whatever style of game you're running (or not, if a particular adventure doesn't float your boat). And I gather they are doing it very well.

One setting would be counter-productive to what they are doing, it seems to me...
I'm not so sure about that.

Conan had a setting, even though his stories were all over the place. There were locations in common and certainly places to go and/or avoid. Conan might go to Aquilonia for civilization or Stygia to find dark sorceries. He might also just appear somewhere and have an adventure.

Fafhrd & Mouser had Lankhmar as a base of operations, with many adventures occuring right in the city and many quests far from home.

I can see a generic DCC setting with a few key places in it, room to place the modules as they are published, and perhaps a major city to go back to in between adventures. There would just have to be a lot of open "unknown" space with cool place names (a la the Wilderlands campaign by JG). That way you could have characters travel to get to the module locations instead of just appearing there.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

finarvyn wrote:
GnomeBoy wrote:I think what they are doing is providing elements (adventures) with Appendix N goodness in them, that can be added to whatever style of game you're running (or not, if a particular adventure doesn't float your boat). And I gather they are doing it very well.

I'm not so sure about that.

Conan had a setting, even though his stories were all over the place. There were locations in common and certainly places to go and/or avoid. Conan might go to Aquilonia for civilization or Stygia to find dark sorceries. He might also just appear somewhere and have an adventure.

Fafhrd & Mouser had Lankhmar as a base of operations, with many adventures occuring right in the city and many quests far from home.

I can see a generic DCC setting with a few key places in it, room to place the modules as they are published, and perhaps a major city to go back to in between adventures. There would just have to be a lot of open "unknown" space with cool place names (a la the Wilderlands campaign by JG). That way you could have characters travel to get to the module locations instead of just appearing there.
Marv, I hear what you are saying -- in the ongoing fiction there was a lot of territory to cover. But mainly my point was, nailing it down in a setting book has as it's repercussion nailing it down. The more that gets nailed down, the more there will be folks for whom it doesn't quite work for their campaign. There will be things in there that some don't want in there, and things 'missing' that some consider crucial to their campaign. Conan covered a lot of ground, but I don't remember him going to Mars nor the Gates of Creation. If Fafhrd laid eyes on the Moon Pool or saw the Face in the Frost, I must've missed that one.

I think Goodman could certainly do, say, a Punjar city book. They could do 'fantastical locations' books of other sorts, with the geographic relationships vague or non-existent, left for the people employing the books to define. But for every 'campaign setting' book that has existed in the last 40 years, there are a host of gamers for whom that setting 'doesn't work'. Why alienate anybody, if you could help it? Provide the tools to build a campaign (adventures, the attendant places and peoples, perhaps some extra 'important' places) and you have a de-facto setting -- and one that can be configured to every game being run. Your setting is your preferred slices of Appendix N -- you already have it in hand.

Now of course, since I've made my case, next week there be an announcement about the first DCC Setting Book coming out before Christmas... :mrgreen:

Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Here is to hoping that Gnome Boy is right!
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Ravenheart87 wrote:
GnomeBoy wrote:
...with difficulty.
Merman. This is what mermen look like in my setting:
Yes, but which one is it between the three? Because if either of the two side characters have a tail instead of feet, we can't tell from the image...

Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Skyscraper wrote:Yes, but which one is it between the three? Because if either of the two side characters have a tail instead of feet, we can't tell from the image...
The blondes on the left and right are humans. I hope you can figure the correct answer out now in possession of this tiny bit of information. ;)
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Karaptis wrote:Sandbox has never been my style until Dark Sun came out. Then the whole survival thing became fun. I really cannot wait for Tales to come out.
Hah, you may as well have tossed in the Al-Qadim reference to another "sand" box.

Return to “DCC RPG General”