Mighty deeds of a seven year old

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Mighty deeds of a seven year old

Post by Skyscraper »

I'm introducing my 7-year old son to pen and paper RPG. We used to play entirely in our imaginations, but now that he knows how to count and write, we can add the character sheet and dice. I'm playing using essentially DCC rules.

I've been using the mighty deed mechanic for his knight (who is close to a level 1 DCC warrior mechanically). What I do however, is allow the deed to work notwithstanding whether he successfully hits his opponent or not. So he might deal damage, accomplish some kind of stunt of his imagination, or both. This has worked out very well in the little we've played up to now. Since he's the only player at the table (his PC now has two NPC friends) it allows his PC to shine more often. Last session, for example, he wasn't able to hit an opponent with his d20, or just about. However, he disarmed one of his crossbow (that flew out the window to break 10 meters below) and he also broke an old wooden staircase underneath a leashed dog, essentially trapping the dog under the staircase. He tried pushing the BBEG underneath a large rotating wind mill grind stone a couple of time, but that didn't work and the BBEG escaped.

I'm simply sharing this experience for those who might find it useful for their games because I thought that the deed-separated-from-the-attack mechanic worked out well and really got him excited about attacking. If I had used the DCC rules that his mighty deed only worked on a successful hit, he would have hit opponents only twice in the entire session and no deed would have worked; and his NPC friends would have done most of the work. For a 7 year old, that doesn't make for a very heroic game.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Mighty deeds of a seven year old

Post by finarvyn »

1. Congrats on bringing a 7-year-old into the world of RPGs. I suspect that both of your lives with be that much better for it.

2. Nice to see his ideas at work. I think a lot of veteran gamers tend to fall into the "this is how you are supposed to do it" mentality, whereas newbies often ask "can I do this?" and the results are often really remarkable.

Thumbs up from me! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Another approach -- especially with a single player like this -- is to just make all of the bad guy ACs pretty low. Then he can hit them without too much trouble. Usually kids have no expectation of "this guy is probably tough" or not, and don't see anything wonky about it being as easy to hit and hurt a guy in plate as it is to hit the broad side of a barn.

Bit by bit, more variety can be introduced -- which makes the first time they face someone with a high(-ish) AC more of a dramatic situation.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

GnomeBoy wrote:Another approach -- especially with a single player like this -- is to just make all of the bad guy ACs pretty low. Then he can hit them without too much trouble. Usually kids have no expectation of "this guy is probably tough" or not, and don't see anything wonky about it being as easy to hit and hurt a guy in plate as it is to hit the broad side of a barn.

Bit by bit, more variety can be introduced -- which makes the first time they face someone with a high(-ish) AC more of a dramatic situation.
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

This is actually an interesting idea. If you don't hit with your d20, but the deed goes off, perhaps there are other effects. Like, "you swing wildly at the orc, missing, but your strike a picture on the wall, which falls and distracts your opponent (-2 to next attack)" ... or something.

Sounds fun and chaotic and a way for the judge to bring more narration into the combat.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

Return to “DCC RPG General”