That's a Nice Looking Bookshelf

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

That's a Nice Looking Bookshelf

Post by goodmangames »

Here is a fun picture of one of my bookshelves -- all the DCC RPG core book spines lined up:

They are lined up in order of publication.

The first and second printing of the standard cover are of slightly different widths, which isn't apparent unless you hold them in your hand at the same time. (You can see it in the proportions of the wizard's face if you look carefully at the image above.) This was because they were printed at different printers who used slightly different paper stocks.

The other covers are of course the gold foil edition, wizard cover, and Jeff Easley cover.

All spines are by the inimitable Doug Kovacs!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
The Venomous Pao
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: That's a Nice Looking Bookshelf

Post by The Venomous Pao »

I'll say it once again... the spine of the Easley cover printing is just plain awesome. Keep on taking my money, Mr. Goodman.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Fantastic book shelf! Mine isn't so cool looking, as some of my books are in shipping boxes to keep 'em nice.

Do we know when the Easley cover hits game stores?
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Marv, you clearly need to be buying two copies of each book, so you have one for display and one for safe-keeping. :)

Easley cover should be in stores the week of Free RPG Day (week of June 15).
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

goodmangames wrote:Marv, you clearly need to be buying two copies of each book, so you have one for display and one for safe-keeping. :)
Good point. I have two copies of the original cover, first print, but only one each of the gold print and the Kovacs cover. I pretty much only use one of my 1st print copies as a "reading" copy and clearly should start to display the rest instead of keeping them in boxes. I don't consider myself to be a "collector" but I take really good care of my stuff and end up having backup "reading" copies of my best gaming materials so that my "good copy" can be kept safe.

I'm such a nerd. :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

For me, the Gold Foil is the Collector's edition. The first printing, second printing, and Kovac cover are all for table use....

Now I might rethink that and put this new one and the Kovac cover up next to the gold foil...
Booberry
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Booberry »

Dude, I'm fortunate to have a bit of extra income but I seriously can't believe you managed to sell me a third copy of this game based on spine alone. I mean, the Easley cover is rad but that visor is a no-brainer.

Stats for the Evil Helm of Kneivel are officially mandatory.
Johann
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Johann »

Man, I can't believe I just bought* this for the Easley artwork alone. I already have the %&$@ book.

I guess it will see use as an additional spell & critical hit reference at the table.

The spine clinched the deal, by the way -- it screams "Sword & Planet" / "Science Fantasy" (and the hoverdisk on the beautiful cover doesn't hurt either) so I just had to have it.

Rock on, Joe & Jeff!

--
*From a friendly game shop in the UK (I live in Germany). Your shipping rates are a deal-breaker if you live in Europe, you know. Here's hoping this may change at some point in the future.
Last edited by Johann on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Tabletop Games and 31st Century Games

Post by JonHook »

Totally wicked.
Johann
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Johann »

My Jeff Easley edition finally arrived today (including the awesome Stefan Poag artbook).

The cover is absolutely gorgeous!

The purple sky suggests both weird fantasy and/or planetary romance (providing a nice Princess of Mars vibe), the hoverdisk could be a spell or piece of technology (Science Fantasy! Yay!), the monster is unique and dynamic and has emotions and a goal (rather than just posing) and the wizard/warrior guy uses a sword and might be casting a spell. This is Appendix N to the max! Thank you!

The spine rocks even more!

The helmet is clearly a space helmet but the guy's beard and the idiosyncratic details suggests he's either a workman-like space jockey (think Nostromo-crew) or a tribal chief who has found this cool relic.

This book should really go into my collector's vault, but it's the one I'll pass out to the players at the table (keeping my regular edition to myself to annotate with house rules etc.). The book communicates the atmosphere I'm aiming for better than a thousand words could.

(And I'm sure the many fantastic illustrations inside will have the players flipping through it just for fun.)

Best wishes,

Johan
/gushing fanboy mode
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

I thought the Easely Spine was a Doug Kovacs Self-Portrait :)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Skars wrote:I thought the Easely Spine was a Doug Kovacs Self-Portrait :)
Heh, no, that's Ratface Slipshot...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Clangador
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Clangador »

goodmangames wrote:
Skars wrote:I thought the Easely Spine was a Doug Kovacs Self-Portrait :)
Heh, no, that's Ratface Slipshot...
Yea what is up with "the band" as in the Gen Con booklet? It makes me wonder where that is going. Hugh meets his end? All these illustrations and covers mean something?!?
~Clangador

I'm not a wizard but I play one in DCC...

Join the DCC RPG Rocks Facebook group.

Return to “DCC RPG General”