Matching DCC-appropriate Dice Sets Possible!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Matching DCC-appropriate Dice Sets Possible!

Post by Gameogre »

Seriously,thanks for the heads up for the up and coming kickstarter. I am frankly very poor these days(picture me walking around with pockets inside out) but would love to get in on this DCC dice action. Letting me know its coming now will let me slide birthday/Christmas money to the side to order a few sets (or 10) in January.Who needs beer and socks when you can get game stuff!

One of the most annoying things about Kickstarter is I never seem to know about something till after its gone live. I get paid once a month so......unless I'm just dang lucky I don't get paid again till after most kickstarters close.

Will be filling one of my aforementioned socks(one without holes) with cash for the DCC dice kickstarter!
impactminiatures
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by impactminiatures »

cthulhudarren wrote:Awesome news! I really hope that the d5 is a d10 numbered 1-5 twice, and the d7 is a d14 numbered 1-7 twice.
Cthulhudarren ... sorry to say no to this hope. But we will be producing fair, balanced, equal sized faced spherical based D5 and D7 for the set. We already sell the D7 in our store.

@Gameogre ... glad to give you the heads up. I'm getting the final quote right now to create the full set so we know the proper funding goal for the set. It has been a pleasure to work with Mr. Goodman over the last few months to line this project up.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

This is great news. I'm currently using Dice Farmer for DCC dice. Dice [expletive] that I am, I'm sure I'll pick up an official DCC RPG set.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Holy crap you are the guys that make Elfball minis!
impactminiatures
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Karaptis wrote:Holy crap you are the guys that make Elfball minis!
Yes that is us. We've made a lot of custom dice over the years for our games so it was a natural move for us to look at making more custom dice for other games.
AJClark
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by AJClark »

I backed the Impact!Miniatures Kickstarter for the spherical d14s and d18s and picked up a complete set of d4 through d20 as well as the d3 (1-3 twice), d22, d24, and d30.

So now I have a complete set consisting of d3, d4, d6, d8, d10 (2 dice 0-9, 00-90), d12, d14, d16, d18, d20, d22, d24, and d30. And only the d30 is extraordinarily huge.

I am very happy with the dice...and they all pretty much the same color (the d3, d16, d24 and d30 are a slightly different shade) which is a bonus. Throw in my huge Kaplow d7 and crappy Gamescience d5 and I'm all set :)
impactminiatures
Far-Sighted Wanderer

AJClark wrote:and they all pretty much the same color (the d3, d16, d24 and d30 are a slightly different shade)
If the next KickStarter funds ... these 4 will match the rest of the dice as will the D5 and D7.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

If you're looking to test the market waters, I could easily see me getting 5 sets minimum...

One for Colin
One for Storm
One for Me
Two for newbies

That last could go up depending...

And this is from someone who already owns at least four or five sets I've cobbled together at GenCon over the last three years.
Exedor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Exedor »

Since there is someone who makes dice on the thread, how do we know the spherical dice roll near true? I have the weird triangular d5 and it seems to be unreliable. Results are radically different depending on the surface on which I roll it. I feel as though the d10 and d14 numbered twice serve well for d5 and d7 and seem to give a fairly random result.
impactminiatures
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Exedor wrote:Since there is someone who makes dice on the thread, how do we know the spherical dice roll near true? I have the weird triangular d5 and it seems to be unreliable. Results are radically different depending on the surface on which I roll it. I feel as though the d10 and d14 numbered twice serve well for d5 and d7 and seem to give a fairly random result.
Hi .. that D5 that you described with unequal sized faces is not the design we'll be making. I cannot comment on how fair that die is.

All of our dice have equal sized faces and are all equal distant from the center of the die mass along with a minimization of surface area not allowed to dice faces. Chi Squared tests were done on the dice we are making to insure that they rolled statistically randomly.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Wow, Tom Anders and Joseph Goodman collaborating-two of my favorite game designers in one place! Good to see you in this neck of the woods, will you have a booth at Adepticon this spring?
impactminiatures
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Skars wrote:Wow, Tom Anders and Joseph Goodman collaborating-two of my favorite game designers in one place! Good to see you in this neck of the woods, will you have a booth at Adepticon this spring?
Thank you Skars ... yes we plan on being at Adepticon in 2014.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Cool. I'll jump in on this. I have never actually participated in any kickstarter project (but I heard the expression a lot). How does that work? You pledge money and if enough pledges are made, the project goes through? How do you ensure that the pledgers actually go through with sending the money?

Thanks,

Sky
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
impactminiatures
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Skyscraper wrote:Cool. I'll jump in on this. I have never actually participated in any kickstarter project (but I heard the expression a lot). How does that work? You pledge money and if enough pledges are made, the project goes through? How do you ensure that the pledgers actually go through with sending the money?
Hi Sky.

The way KickStarter works is that you pledge ... but you ONLY have to pay if enough money is raised to create whatever it is that the project owner wants to create.

Kickstarter uses Amazon payments. So when you pledge you will link your pledge to a credit card you have on file with Amazon.com. When the KickStarter ends if it has reached its funding goal it will automatically charge your credit card with Amazon.com for the amount of your pledge. But this charge only happens when the project ends and only if the project had enough pledges to make whatever they were trying to make.

Hope that helps explain it.

Tom
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Thanks! I figure it would be something like that, i just wasn't sure what the mechanic was.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
marshal kt

Post by marshal kt »

impactminiatures wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:Cool. I'll jump in on this. I have never actually participated in any kickstarter project (but I heard the expression a lot). How does that work? You pledge money and if enough pledges are made, the project goes through? How do you ensure that the pledgers actually go through with sending the money?
Hi Sky.

The way KickStarter works is that you pledge ... but you ONLY have to pay if enough money is raised to create whatever it is that the project owner wants to create.

Kickstarter uses Amazon payments. So when you pledge you will link your pledge to a credit card you have on file with Amazon.com. When the KickStarter ends if it has reached its funding goal it will automatically charge your credit card with Amazon.com for the amount of your pledge. But this charge only happens when the project ends and only if the project had enough pledges to make whatever they were trying to make.

Hope that helps explain it.

Tom
1 other small thing, but important thing. The project can be fully funded; but there is no guarantee that anything will be produced, released or sent to you.
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

I've never funded a Kickstarter, but this would be the first one I would do...would love to have a set. I'm curious...do you make the d3 with Roman numerals so you can quickly discern it from a regular d6?
impactminiatures
Far-Sighted Wanderer

DM Cojo wrote:I'm curious...do you make the d3 with Roman numerals so you can quickly discern it from a regular d6?
Correct. Rolls well and immediately identifable even in a color matched set as the D3 compared to the D6 which is the same size but will be numbered 1 to 6. I have the prototype in already for the D3 with Roman numerals and I really like how the die looks. First new die I've made that my teenage son and wife both liked. :lol:
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Cool. Post pictures when you have some!

Vile
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Vile »

Another Kickstarter to look forward to. 8)
impactminiatures
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Skyscraper wrote:Cool. Post pictures when you have some!
Prototype of the Roman D3.
impactminiatures
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Skyscraper wrote:Cool. Post pictures when you have some!
Here is a picture of the prototypes of other new dice we were working on. We mass produced the D7, D14, D18 and D22 with financing from our last Dice KickStarter. The D5 mass production is part of the DCC set KickStarter we are working on for January. The D18 and D22 are not part of the DCC Dice set (but they were in the prototype picture I had).

And because they told me it would not cost much if we were ordering 4000 D7s if the DCC Dice KickStarter funds ... we decided we could also mass produce the D7 DoW die just because it would be fun (and not cost much to add it in). (Mo, Tu, We, Th, Fr, Sa, Su)

Tom
impactminiatures
Far-Sighted Wanderer

marshal kt wrote:1 other small thing, but important thing. The project can be fully funded; but there is no guarantee that anything will be produced, released or sent to you.
That is definitely true. However we have successful run 11 KickStarters with everyone getting their products ... so we definitely are not a high risk bet for taking your money and running. :wink: But yes ... you should check out any company before you pledge for their product and make sure they are a real company with a track record of customer service that you would have faith in giving cash to in order to make a product like they say they are going to.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

Aww man..d5's and d7's kinda kill my buzz.

Is there some kind of patent or copyright on just making d10's numbered 1-5? Why does everyone have to reinvent the wheel?
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

I am not as big on the irregular shapes of the d5 and d7 either. I would prefer to see a normal d10 but numbered 1-5 twice, and a d14 with 1-7 twice? This is how the Kaplow "who knew" dice do it, and I prefer it to the irregular shapes (which is what my Gamescience dice handle it).

Return to “DCC RPG General”