Intro

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

sgates248
Ill-Fated Peasant

Intro

Post by sgates248 »

Hello! My name is Shawn and I recently discovered DCC (and this forum). I started playing DnD back around 1981 or so but fell out of the hobby in the early 90s. I started getting back into it a few years back with DnD v3.5 and then Pathfinder. I like PF a lot but I feel like there are way too many rules for me to remember. I found some of the OSR games like Swords & Wizardry, Labyrinth Lord and DCC and went with DCC...and LOVE it. This game gives me the feeling I had when I was 10 or 11 and discovering DnD for the first time. I'm now "preaching the DCC gospel" and spreading the word to friends. I now have a group that plays weekly on our lunch break at work and am trying to start a weekend group. Half of the guys in our work group have never played PnP RPGs before and they are loving it. This game is great. I'm actually excited about modding, house rules, and creating my own adventures again!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Intro

Post by finarvyn »

Hey, Shawn. Glad you found this place and the DCC rpg. I think that one thing I like best about DCC is that it's vague enough in some spots where I can import my own house rules and customize to taste. And that the basic game runs a lot like all of the other RPGs that I've played over the years so I really don't have to learn a whole new system.

Anyway, welcome to the boards and I'm sure we all look forward to hearing about your tales and ideas. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

heh, maybe we ought to detail a new Patron named "DeeSee Sea" for those of us that spread the word...;)

Welcome to the forum!
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Welcome aboard!
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Welcome to the game, welcome to the forum!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
sgates248
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by sgates248 »

So...we've been playing at work for a while now and I have a small group going on weekends with some other friends. I am working on some adventures (actually a campaign) but it may be a while before I'm done with it. I'm also reading tons of Appendix N stuff and loving it. I can't wait to have some ideas to share on the forum.
Kergalli
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Kergalli »

Do your adventure ideas center around wolves, blood and a tub of butter?
sgates248
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by sgates248 »

As a matter of fact...they do...but the butter must be melted. :D
Exedor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Exedor »

sgates248 wrote:Hello! My name is Shawn and I recently discovered DCC (and this forum). I started playing DnD back around 1981 or so but fell out of the hobby in the early 90s. I started getting back into it a few years back with DnD v3.5 and then Pathfinder. I like PF a lot but I feel like there are way too many rules for me to remember. I found some of the OSR games like Swords & Wizardry, Labyrinth Lord and DCC and went with DCC...and LOVE it. This game gives me the feeling I had when I was 10 or 11 and discovering DnD for the first time. I'm now "preaching the DCC gospel" and spreading the word to friends. I now have a group that plays weekly on our lunch break at work and am trying to start a weekend group. Half of the guys in our work group have never played PnP RPGs before and they are loving it. This game is great. I'm actually excited about modding, house rules, and creating my own adventures again!
Wow, we have almost the same history with RPGs. I started with Red Box in 1981, stopped in 1987 or so, and picked up RPGing with 3.5 in 2009. 3.5 and then Pathfinder satisfied me, but the complexity started to wear me down, especially when I started running the games. The power of nostalgia that DCC invokes is just magical. Hopefully there will be no corruption...

Return to “DCC RPG General”