Favorite 0-Level Funnel?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

gmgeoff
Ill-Fated Peasant

Favorite 0-Level Funnel?

Post by gmgeoff »

I'm lucky to have a few different groups who'd like to play DCC. I'd rather not have to start them all on Portal Under the Stars, so my question is: do you have a favorite 0-level funnel?

Ideas so far:
B1 - In Search of the Unknown (already going through this one and tweaking it).
Death Test (?) - I listened to a DCC podcast of a 0-level playthrough, thought the DM said it was Death Test.
Sailors on the Starless Sea
T1 - The Village of Homlett
Tegel Manor
Perils of the Sunken City
Ooze Pits of Jonas Gralk
U1: Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Barrowmaze

Anything else you would recommend, even if it takes a bit of tweaking?

Many thanks!
Last edited by gmgeoff on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Favorite 0-Level Funnel?

Post by TheNobleDrake »

T1 - The Village of Homlett, though I swap out the giant frog encounter with a much wider moat around the moathouse that requires trudging into the water or some ingenuity to cross, and disgusting cross-breeds of catfish and frog large enough to swallow a man whole.

...and it has its own path of adventures that follow (T2-4 - Temple of Elemental Evil, A1-4 - Scourge of the Slavelords, and then GDQ1-7 - Queen of Spiders) if you want to carry a mostly singular plot across your whole campaign.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Sailors on the Starless Sea is a very good funnel adventure. I would gladly run it again a few more times.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

I haven't run Starless but read through it last night, sounds awesome.

A friend of mine ran it for his DCC group and he raved about it. His recommendation was what lead me to up and buy it.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
Portly Trim: Cleric AC:11
Fritz: Thief AC:10
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

My first zero level adventure, that I will run, is Portal Under the Stars. I am adding a few extra rooms to this adventure to compensate for the LARGE group of characters. This funnel trip, after tweaked, will be great!
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

I've run a lot of 0-level adventures, but my two favorites were Tegel Manor and the Pathfinder Free RPG Day adventure for goblin PCs called "We Be Goblins!".
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Ravenheart87 wrote:Sailors on the Starless Sea is a very good funnel adventure. I would gladly run it again a few more times.
+1d30

I also recommend to you both of the Purple Sorcerer funnels, which I found quite enjoyable. Those would be Perils of the Sunken City and The Ooze Pits of Jonas Gralk.

I have also turned U1 into a funnel adventure.....and Barrowmaze makes a great funnel/campaign dungeon.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

gmgeoff wrote:I'm lucky to have a few different groups who'd like to play DCC. I'd rather not have to start them all on Portal Under the Stars, so my question is: do you have a favorite 0-level funnel?

Ideas so far:

Death Test (?) - I listened to a DCC podcast of a 0-level playthrough, thought the DM said it was Death Test.
Death Test is Microquest 1 from the Fantasy Trip (Metagaming). I plan to use Microquest 7 "Master of Amulets" in my Isle of the Unknown campaign.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Doom of the Savage Kings, if you can get your hands on it. That and Sailors are the best funnels I've run.

Also, Attack of the Frawgs is pretty good -- and it's slated to be extended with the Larvik Island rewrite for DCC.

You might also try *cough* Sepulcher of the Mountain God... but that's just me.

Daniel Bishop's Cotillion of the Hours is a good one, too.

For non-DCC stuff, I've used the following:
  • Stonehell -- the "outside" portion is perfect for 0-levels
  • Barrowmaze -- This is one of those "fight some stuff and run from others" kinda 0-level funnel. But, the bonus is that they could spend their entire adventuring careers in the Barrowmaze! ... one way or the other...
  • Against the Cult of the Reptile God -- Solid adventure with lots of DCC-ifying potential. I enjoy running this one.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Also, beermotor is running Secret of Bone Hill as a funnel+ here: http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 76&t=43559
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

As for my favorite funnel thus far, I have to say Sailors on the Starless Sea. Great fun
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Gotta vote for Sailors on the Starless Sea. There are a lot of old modules and new modules that work as funnels, as others have stated. But I'd pick this one.
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

My favorite funnels that I have run so far (or level one adventures I have run as funnels) are:

* Sailors on a Starless Sea
* Ruins of Ramat
* The Old God's Return
* Attack of the Frawgs
* Perils of the Sunken City
* Portal Under the Stars
* The Imperishable Sorceress

It is also my intention to convert the old basic D&D module B4 The Lost City into a funnel. It is a big adventure though, so it would be a funnel that carries over into 1st or maybe even 2nd level by the time the survivors finish.
pachristian
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by pachristian »

I've only run a couple but "Prince Charming Reanimator" (Daniel Bishop, Purple Duck Games) was by far the favorite.

My players described it as "wonderfully creepy".

Return to “DCC RPG General”