Official Support

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Pentegarn
Ill-Fated Peasant

Official Support

Post by Pentegarn »

Hello everyone.

I just purchased the DCC RPG rulebook. My group and I have played two sessions so far and I'm loving it.

From what I can tell of what I've read here at Goodman Games, DCC was just released a short time ago. I've looked around on the forums, and the online store, and so far I can't find any hints about future, official support. So I was just curious if anyone knows of, has heard of, or can point me to any news of possible upcoming products for DCC. I'm interested in products along the lines of future books that might possibly introduce more races/classes, and/or advanced rules akin to how AD&D compared to D&D. Also, I'd be interested to know if there was going to be an official "Monster Manual''ish type of book.

I've been playing P&P RPGs since 1986, starting with D&D and AD&D. I've primarily been a DM in our groups since around 1989. So I've done my fair share of creating, houseruling, homebrewing, etc. And I can always add new monsters whether by creating them, or importing/adapting them from other systems. But it's always nice to have an official print book. Especially one like DCC with it's inked artwork and retro look and feel.

Thanks for any help and information that you might provide.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Official Support

Post by finarvyn »

The "company line" on this is that the DCC core rulebook was designed to be essentially a complete game that doesn't require expansion materials. It has been suggested that occasional "Annual" books could appear with some new material, but basically Goodman Games is going to focus on module support rather than rules support. There are a bunch of official DCC modules out already; I've playtested most of them and they are a blast.

Several 3rd Party groups are doing fun stuff with the rules and adding extra races/classes, etc. In particular you should look for the threads on "Crawl!" magazine, which I believe is up to issue #5 already. There are also some great 3PP modules worth checking out, but they won't have new rules.

Also, if you haven't found "Dungeon Alphabet" (also published by Goodman Games) you might look for it. It's sort of an unoffical supplement, full of cool tables and ideas which fit the DCC style quite well.

Hope that helps!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Pentegarn
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Pentegarn »

Thanks for that info, CHI. It does help. I'll check out those other sources.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Yeah, DCC core plus CRAWL!, Dungeon Alphabet, and Random Esoteric Creature Generator is all you really need. IMO. The 1e AD&D books might make a decent resource too, but more than likely you won't need them.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

It should be noted that the adventure modules are stuffed full of new monsters, contain new magic items, and some even present new spells and patrons - so a lot of the material normally found in expansion books is out there, just in smaller doses with an adventure mixed in rather than in 130 page "dumps" of nothing but stats.
Pentegarn
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Pentegarn »

Well, I just ordered The Dungeon Alphabet (expanded 3rd printing). And I'm going to back order the Crawl fanzines.

I actually have a 1st ed AD&D Players Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide, as well as a 1st ed AD&D Monster Manual, Monster Manual II, Fiend Folio, Unearthed Arcana, Deities and Demigods, Wilderness Survival Guide, and Dragonlance books.

Thankfully, when all the rest of my 1st and 2nd edition stuff got destroyed by water damage, I had the books I mentioned above in a chest. I just dug those out. While I looked through them, I could almost hear the chorus of "Memories" going through my head. Actually, at that time in my life I was listening to a lot of Manowar (Fighting the World and Kings of Metal albums). My set of precision topaz Zocchi 12 piece dice set just came in along with the topaz razor edged 30 sider I ordered from a separate site. So I'm getting pretty geared up and excited to play the next session.

Got the old B2: Keep on the Borderlands module. I'm going to DM that to my group as they just finished the funnel quest in the last session. If they survive KotB, I'm thinking about taking them through T1-4 The Temple of Elemental Evil.

Anyway, thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate the help.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Pentegarn wrote:Well, I just ordered The Dungeon Alphabet (expanded 3rd printing). And I'm going to back order the Crawl fanzines.

I actually have a 1st ed AD&D Players Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide, as well as a 1st ed AD&D Monster Manual, Monster Manual II, Fiend Folio, Unearthed Arcana, Deities and Demigods, Wilderness Survival Guide, and Dragonlance books.

Thankfully, when all the rest of my 1st and 2nd edition stuff got destroyed by water damage, I had the books I mentioned above in a chest. I just dug those out. While I looked through them, I could almost hear the chorus of "Memories" going through my head. Actually, at that time in my life I was listening to a lot of Manowar (Fighting the World and Kings of Metal albums). My set of precision topaz Zocchi 12 piece dice set just came in along with the topaz razor edged 30 sider I ordered from a separate site. So I'm getting pretty geared up and excited to play the next session.

Got the old B2: Keep on the Borderlands module. I'm going to DM that to my group as they just finished the funnel quest in the last session. If they survive KotB, I'm thinking about taking them through T1-4 The Temple of Elemental Evil.

I liked everything about this post except for the Manowar. ;) I'll take Motorhead.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

MANOWAR plus Motorhead = winning.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

beermotor wrote:Yeah, DCC core plus CRAWL!, Dungeon Alphabet, and Random Esoteric Creature Generator is all you really need.
I have to confess that I've never actually seen a copy of the Random Esoteric Creature Generator. Where is the best place to buy a copy, and what makes it so cool?
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

finarvyn wrote:
beermotor wrote:Yeah, DCC core plus CRAWL!, Dungeon Alphabet, and Random Esoteric Creature Generator is all you really need.
I have to confess that I've never actually seen a copy of the Random Esoteric Creature Generator. Where is the best place to buy a copy, and what makes it so cool?
Doh. Forgot that Goodman Games sells this. :oops:

http://www.goodman-games.com/4375preview.html

I'd still like to hear more about it. Is the coolness factor simply that it creates totally random monsters? I ask because I have quite a few monster books full of critters that I never actually use, so many of those would seem "random" to my players.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
sniderman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by sniderman »

The RECG does more than just create a random critter from a bunch of pieces-parts. It creates a truly undefinable ... something... for your PCs to encounter. rather than an off-the-shelf orc/gnoll/goblin, the RECG lets you create a truly unique creature. I find it incredibly useful.

I discussed it at my Mutant Future blog, and showed how easy it is to come up with a bizarre unique creature on the fly. Here's where I rolled up a new monster using the RECG:

The Random Esoteric (ahem) "MUTANT" Generator

Here's the creature it generated:
Crabhemoth

And here's another one that the book randomly created:
Fleshmelt

And these are actually more "run of the mill" creations. Some of the monsters are truly bizarre...
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Has anyone ported this to an app? I have the book, but it'd be cool to have something run through the trees and stuff, then allow you to edit flavor text before printing.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

beermotor wrote:Has anyone ported this to an app? I have the book, but it'd be cool to have something run through the trees and stuff, then allow you to edit flavor text before printing.
When this first came out, I approached Mr. Goodman at GaryCon about this possibility. Might be the first time I met him, actually....

He thought it sounded like a cool idea but, IIRC, was non-committal largely due to it being written by someone else. And then I never had the time to follow-up.

It's the very first thing I thought about when I saw the book...
Colin

Post by Colin »

finarvyn wrote:It has been suggested that occasional "Annual" books could appear with some new material
It's more than just suggested, mate, Harley confirmed as much some time ago remember. :)

Colin
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Colin wrote:
finarvyn wrote:It has been suggested that occasional "Annual" books could appear with some new material
It's more than just suggested, mate, Harley confirmed as much some time ago remember. :)
True, but I haven't seen anything concrete such as contents listing, approximate date of release, and so on. This gives me the impression that while it may happen on occasion it probably won't by on an annual basis the way it has been suggested (e.g. an "Annual".).
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Re: Annual. Colin is correct. Articles are even assigned, so some folks may be writing them already.

However, for myself, I know I'm at least 2 adventures before getting free to work on my contributions to the Annual.

So, is it coming? Yes.

But when? Nothing formal to share, but I do suspect Joseph has something big planned for his return to GenCon.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by dark cauliflower »

is the annual going to be a big book or a dinky one? And is it going to have all the monsters from the modules printed that year in it?
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
Ancalagon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ancalagon »

cthulhudarren wrote:
Pentegarn wrote:Well, I just ordered The Dungeon Alphabet (expanded 3rd printing). And I'm going to back order the Crawl fanzines.

I liked everything about this post except for the Manowar. ;) I'll take Motorhead.
Lemmy, Patron of Badassery. Period.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I thought it was self-evident that DCC RPG is perfect and does not need any further expansions.

:)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Colin

Post by Colin »

Pentegarn wrote:along with the topaz razor edged 30 sider I ordered from a separate site.
You managed to get a precision gem-style d30? Details, man, details! I've got two precision d30s but they're old opaque green Armory dice; I'd love a few precision gem-style d30s!

Colin
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

goodmangames wrote:I thought it was self-evident that DCC RPG is perfect and does not need any further expansions.

:)
Absolutely.

But you know how people like to mes with perfection... :wink:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Pentegarn
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Pentegarn »

Colin wrote:
Pentegarn wrote:along with the topaz razor edged 30 sider I ordered from a separate site.
You managed to get a precision gem-style d30? Details, man, details! I've got two precision d30s but they're old opaque green Armory dice; I'd love a few precision gem-style d30s!

Colin

The aren't actually called "precision", but rather "razor edged". But you can look at them here where I got mine. And I can tell you from rolling it, it's basically precision. Unfortunately, it looks like all their razor edged d30's are currently out of stock, but maybe if you put in an order or call them, they'll restock them. Anyway, here's the link...

http://www.g2ch.com/d30s-c-21_41.html
Colin

Post by Colin »

Ah, so they're Armory d30s just like mine. Shame they've sold out of the gem-style one. :)

Colin

Return to “DCC RPG General”