DCC Booger Men!: What'z your best Monster source?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

DCC Booger Men!: What'z your best Monster source?

Post by dark cauliflower »

guyz,

I know we don't have a monster manual, creature catalog yet. This leaves us with Demon's spring from our minds, pulling Orcs out of the toilet and digging into smelly tomes of ancient lore for critters. Where are they coming from!?!!? :shock:

in other words, how are you finding ye ol merry monsters?

I haven't any yet, since Im just getting my kit together. I'd like to say Fiend Folio, but that'd be cheezy at this point.
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
Teflon Billy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: DCC Booger Men!: What'z your best Monster source?

Post by Teflon Billy »

I just use the monster section in the core book, and just slap a fresh coat of paint on any of the existing monsters as required to meet my needs.

My current campaign needed "Swamplings"...kind of Toad-like looking humanoids that weren't particularly tough to serve as the henchmen for the big bad Elder Ghoul.

So I just flipped though the book, found Sub Humans, gave them a swim speed equal to their land movement, added water-breathing and off you go.

this kind of thing is easy when there is no mechanic in place for enforced encounter balance.
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

my god! That'd be a great name for a monster manual: Sub Humans

I love it. :lol:
Dark Cauliflower

TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Judicious application of old-school stylings to the Pathfinder Bestiary books, and a few sweethearts from the D&D 3.5 monster manual.

Basically I have every monster that I have ever used playing D&D, plus extras from many sources that happen to include a multitude of Lovecraftian horrors and appendix N flavored robots, androids, and alien beings.

...plus a few that are creations of my own - like the marsh swimmer; a giant man-eating catfish with a frog-like face and tongue, which it uses to grab and drag prey.
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

we are going to need more naked demon women for the game. It won't seem right without them. Are we not men? We are Conanoids!
Dark Cauliflower

Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

This is a very useful resource for quickly creating weird & wonderful monsters:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/58916/Ran ... dom+esoter

Perfect for DCC.
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

TOAD and Raggi's RECG for random beasties to keep players on their toes.

I flip through the following for inspiration as well:
RC bestiary
1st ed AD&D Fiend Folio & MM
2nd ed AD&D Monstrous Manual, arcana books like Sea Devils and Illithiad
Mongoose Traveller's Animal Encounter's random tables can be of use.
Earthdawn 3rd books for the Horrors

Of course you will see the standard kobolds, ogres, dragons etc repeated in various editions of D&D books but sometimes a specific illustration or a piece of information about one monster will inspire me to create something.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Most of the monsters I am using now are simply made up, either based on something from Appendix N, something from real life, or something that I thought of to meet a particular need. Or all three smushed together.

When there is an entry in the Core Rulebook that lists something close, I tend to use that as the basis, but I am not adverse to simply striking out on my own. I think that the coolest monsters break the rules in some way. Not only do they do something unexpected, but there is sometimes an awful consequence to not defeating them. Something worse than death, as often as I am able to pull it off. "Well, no, your character survives, but....." :twisted: Not every monster, obviously, but it is nice to have something in a scenario that can truly mess with the PCs should they fail to defeat it.

I have Raggi's Random Esoteric Creature Generator, but I have yet to refer to it. I also picked up The Metamorphica, although I have yet to refer to that, either. It is always nice to have idea generators for when you want them, and I recommend both of these. I am not using them yet, but I have looked through them, and both are well worth purchasing.

I think Joseph Goodman was right. Don't let a monster book limit you.

By all means, use any and all monster books available, for any edition and any game system -- to get ideas, for guidance on how to stat monsters, for inspiration -- but use them as the starting point only.

RC
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

Try my Isle of the Unknown for over 100 all-new weird monsters:
http://www.nobleknight.com/ProductDetai ... _GenreID_E_

:mrgreen:
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Im thinking that I may have to cook up the

Random Naked Demon Woman Generator!

What do ya guyz think of that?
Dark Cauliflower

cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Dying Earth! I literally just got the book last night and am reading for the first time.

From wikipedia:

Deodands: Deodands are humanoids which look like handsome, muscular human men, but with "dead black lustreless skin and long slit eyes." They are strong, murderous, and carnivorous creatures, but can be killed with offensive spells, which they fear.

Gauns: Gauns are roughly humanoid creatures which haunt the streets of Ampridatvir by night, capturing and eating any human they can catch. They are large, slow, powerful, unintelligent creatures with pale skin, furry legs, fanged mouths, and arms as long as a man is tall.

Oasts: Oasts are creatures which appear to be very tall humans with blonde hair and blue eyes, but are actually no more intelligent than livestock, and are kept as such. Some tribes to the north of Ascolais use them as food, mounts, and beasts of burden.

Twk-Men: The Twk-Men are tiny bluish men who ride on dragonflies. They are useful sources of information, and are willing to sell their knowledge. By the same token, they can be bribed to lie to others. The usual form of payment is salt, which they crave for unexplained reasons.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

dark cauliflower wrote:
Random Naked Demon Woman Generator!

What do ya guyz think of that?

Mmmm.
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

I use a lot of different books, but the Pathfinder Bestiary 2 is a particular favorite.
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Random Esoteric Creature Generator and Tome of Horrors. More than enough for a lifetime.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Also, any collection of Frazetta art.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Harley Stroh wrote:Also, any collection of Frazetta art.

//H
Did Frazetta include stat blocks compatible with DCC? :D
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

hey anyone see anything of the Sword and Wizardry monster book that's going to be coming out? I might be prone to picking it up for DCC if it fits and it isn't a rehash of MM from the 1rst edition.
Dark Cauliflower

Colin

Post by Colin »

It's essentially a printing of the standard S&W Monster Compendium that's been available for free download (and in POD via Lulu) for a long time, but with added art. It's not a version of the AD&D1e MM.

Click the link above for the freely downloadable Word Doc of the book (sans art). The S&W monster book you'd really want for new content (and various Fiend Folio critters) is the Tome of Horrors.

Colin
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

I have the HC of Tome of Horrors for S&W. It sits on the same shelf as my copies of DCC, because that's exactly what I use it for. I consider it the pre-eminent monster book. There are a few other S&W Monster books, but they all pale in comparison, they really do.

I also have the 3E Tome of Horrors, plus the 1E MM, MM2 and FF, and also the Scarred Lands monster books. Those make a nice addition as well (in fact, I think the Scarred Lands would make an excellent DCC setting in general).

Return to “DCC RPG General”