NukeCon report

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

NukeCon report

Post by Harley Stroh »

The weekend of Oct 5 I had the privilege of attending NukeCon (http://www.nuke-con.com/), run out of Omaha. It was our first time at the show and NukeCon did an awesome job of making Goodman Games feel welcome.

Like a lot of smaller cons, NukeCon exists thanks to the hard work of dedicated gamers. But unlike some smaller cons, NukeCon has access to some amazing facilities. There was large venue for gaming and vendors, plus readily accessible food and nearly 24-hour staffing by the con folks. Our friends at Tabletop Adventures were in attendance, though we missed the folks from Blackblade. Hopefully we’ll hook up with them at GaryCon.

We ran playtests of up-coming DCC adventures, and special guest judge Dave Rosser, Jr. ran a quick 0-level funnel game. (Dave’s performance was so awesome I wrote him in as a DCC villain. See if you can spot him in Fate’s Fell Hand.)

We had DCC ribbons, buttons and pencils to award our player and judges, which got pretty fun – lots of “DCC Kill” ribbons were flying during the funnel game. Wearing ribbons like battle scars, our players finished the games with visible testaments to their triumphs and defeats.

The highlight of the con was from our first game, which very nearly ended in a PvP TPK. But somehow a pair of desperate warriors carried the day against the party cleric and his dominated wizard sidekick.

The game’s conclusion: 200 neanderthals charging up the side of their mud ziggurat to take out our surviving warriors. "Craven" the Smuggler drops the mob’s champion, then steps up and declares himself their new master. Good roleplaying on the player's part, but I tell him that I still need to see the best Personality check ever.

Nat 20.

Table erupts in cheers (even the guys with dead PCs).

Good times in Omaha. Thank you, NukeCon!

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: NukeCon report

Post by beermotor »

Technically, wouldn't a "personality check" of 20 on a d20 be an auto failure?! :-)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Heh. Was looking for 1d20 + Per modifier. Check vs. Test, if my memory of forum discussions holds. :)

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
darjr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by darjr »

I had a blast! Your game was voted best of con by the clan I had with me.

And it was an honor to run for you. Also I promise, no hints.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

darjr wrote:I had a blast! Your game was voted best of con by the clan I had with me.

And it was an honor to run for you. Also I promise, no hints.
:) Thank you, Darjr! Thank you again for taking the time to play in the DCC game.

Hope to see you and yours at GaryCon. It is a phenomenal convention, with tons of wonderful folks. Your crew would be right at home.

//H

Return to “DCC RPG General”