Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Converting monster stats from Labyrinth Lord to DCC rpg
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:42 am 
Offline
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:55 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Does anyone have any conversion stats for converting monster stats from Labyrinth Lord to the DCC rpg please? I am considering running a Stonehell Dungeon campaign that is written for Labyrinth Lord in DCC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting monster stats from Labyrinth Lord to DCC rpg
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:02 pm 
Offline
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:52 pm
Posts: 1084
daddystabz wrote:
Does anyone have any conversion stats for converting monster stats from Labyrinth Lord to the DCC rpg please? I am considering running a Stonehell Dungeon campaign that is written for Labyrinth Lord in DCC.


Conversions? I ran parts of Stonehell with DCC and then again with characters from Transylvanian Adventures. I don't remember there being that big of an issue.

I can't remember what I did. But, on the fly, I think it was something like... AC = 20 - LLAC. And saves were the "Saves as" character level applied 1:1 to the save that made most sense (say Will +7 for Wiz7) then half that for the next one that makes the most sense (so Reflex +3 for Wiz 7) and half that again for the other save (Fort +1 for Wiz7). A Fighter-3 would be Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +0.

I remember just running with that. Doing the same thing for old D&D modules. Seems to work okay.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting monster stats from Labyrinth Lord to DCC rpg
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:42 pm 
Offline
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:55 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Those are good ideas. Thanks!

smathis wrote:
daddystabz wrote:
Does anyone have any conversion stats for converting monster stats from Labyrinth Lord to the DCC rpg please? I am considering running a Stonehell Dungeon campaign that is written for Labyrinth Lord in DCC.


Conversions? I ran parts of Stonehell with DCC and then again with characters from Transylvanian Adventures. I don't remember there being that big of an issue.

I can't remember what I did. But, on the fly, I think it was something like... AC = 20 - LLAC. And saves were the "Saves as" character level applied 1:1 to the save that made most sense (say Will +7 for Wiz7) then half that for the next one that makes the most sense (so Reflex +3 for Wiz 7) and half that again for the other save (Fort +1 for Wiz7). A Fighter-3 would be Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +0.

I remember just running with that. Doing the same thing for old D&D modules. Seems to work okay.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting monster stats from Labyrinth Lord to DCC rpg
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:32 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:05 pm
Posts: 671
Location: Devon, England
THIS may also help.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting monster stats from Labyrinth Lord to DCC rpg
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:01 pm 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:07 pm
Posts: 154
Sweet. That's awesome Colin, thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting monster stats from Labyrinth Lord to DCC rpg
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:51 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:05 pm
Posts: 671
Location: Devon, England
It's by Jeremy Deram of the excellent People Them With Monsters blog. I'm just sharing the love. :)

Colin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting monster stats from Labyrinth Lord to DCC rpg
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:47 am 
Offline
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:55 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Any suggestions how to convert between Tunnels & Trolls to DCC? I have a dungeon I'd love to convert over.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Converting monster stats from Labyrinth Lord to DCC rpg
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:32 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:42 am
Posts: 2195
Location: Chicago suburbs
daddystabz wrote:
Any suggestions how to convert between Tunnels & Trolls to DCC? I have a dungeon I'd love to convert over.
T&T is a little tricky because it mostly relies on a single number, whereas more complex RPGs have multiple numbers. This means you won't have a perfect conversion, but you can "fake it" and get results that are pretty good.

The first step might be to look for a similar monster in DCC. Of course, that won't really "convert" since a monster might be strong in one game and weak in the other. This might or might not matter to you, as T&T is known for not balancing encounters. :lol: It might at least help you with damage. "Ah ... so the monster fights a lot like an ogre, so I can use this damage ..." or whatever. Same for AC and some of the other key stats.

Hit Dice are actually pretty easy, however, and HDx15=MR is a good rule of thumb to convert a D&D monster into a T&T MR (and DCC monsters are very similar to D&D ones). Sometimes adjustments are needed, and I like to use +/-3 MR for each +/- to HD.

Maybe that helps?

_________________
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11
Image
DCC RPG playtester 2011, C&C playtester 2003,T&T since 2003,
ADRP Since 1993, OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group