Desperately Seeking Dice of Normal Size

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Roderick Usher
Ill-Fated Peasant

Desperately Seeking Dice of Normal Size

Post by Roderick Usher »

So I have managed to complete a full set of Zocchi dice in the geometric configuration I prefer:

d3: d6 number 1-3 twice
d4: standard
d5: d10 numbered 1-5 twice
d6: standard
d7: d14 numbered 1-7 twice (Koplow)
d8: standard
d10: standard
d12: standard
d14: Zocchi standard from Gamescience
d16: Zocchi standard from Gamescience
d20: standard
d24: Zocchi standard from Gamescience
d30: d30 from Koplow

You'd think I'd be happy. But, owing to my OCD, I am having a hard time coming to grips with the d7 and d30 because they dwarf my other dice. Short of building a 3D printer and making them myself, does anyone know of a good source for a normal sized d7 (being a d14 numbered 1-7 twice), or d30s. I wish I could bring myself to use the Dicenomicon at the table, but I just can't. It's just the way I am wired. :!:
Abacus Ape
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Desperately Seeking Dice of Normal Size

Post by Abacus Ape »

I think ARMORY has more reasonably sized d30's--25mm. The Koplow d30 is 34mm according to gamestation's "advanced dice finder" search engine. I don't like the bigger d30's either. The dice finder seems to only show the 25mm d30's with the sharp edges, but I know I have seen smaller regular d30's as well, I have one. I think the armory sells those as well. Good luck!

http://www.gamestation.net/Advanced-Sea ... ny&size=11
Colin

Post by Colin »

None of the Armory d30s are available any more; Gamescience haven't had any in stock on that page for a very long time, and when last I e-mailed them, they had no plans (or were unable) to make any more.

Colin
Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Zargon »

I might be able to help on this one. I can't come to grips with certain attempts at manufactured dice either.

From what I was reading The Armory (Baltimore Maryland), merged with Chessex in 1998, however Chessex does not manufacture precision dice (much to my dismay). This is why the Armory d30 dice are as rare as hen’s teeth. However, Chessex does make their version of a 26mm d30 which is available on their site and some others I've seen on the interwebs.

http://www.chessex.com/Dice/Specialty%2 ... _sided.htm

For a d7, I can't stand the shape of Gamescience's pentagonal prisms... the white version makes me nauseous, (not to mention the cost) and I don’t like the color of the pips or the fact that you read half a pip as a whole number. (I just roll a precision d14, for numbers 8 or greater subtract 7 from the result.)
Now if you are into some really stylish math check out this concept: gyroelongated heptagonal bipyramid, or lat-long polyisohedrons. One day everyone will have one... now where is my warm Dr. Pepper?
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Yeah, I agree. I have some d30's that are simply gigantic and I hate to even try to lug them around in my dice bag, and while I love the "numbered twice" dice I bought from the e-bay thread on the boards I'm not thrilled that the d14's are so huge. (One is 1-14, the other 1-7 twice.)

They just don't "feel" right. :?
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Yeah the gamescience d14s are the best, really. I have some gamescience d7s ... they're okay, kinda hard to read as was mentioned. But we haven't used them very much yet, so not a big deal.

I like the gamescience d16s, but really would like some that were just a bit larger, frankly, more d20-ish in size, just to make them a bit easier to read. And I need a bunch more of them. Anybody want to put up some lots of like 6-8 d16s at a time? heh.
sniderman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by sniderman »

Or you could go in the other direction and make sure they're all oversized.

(My DCC dice. Not shown are the 3d6 that are the same size.)
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

Ughh Koplow make the ugliest dice ever.

I lost my D30 a few months ago walking home and have not found a replacement yet.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I have both types of dice, and I use them both. Neither one bothers me in the slightest.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

I have thought about buying a set of those big poly dice. Now I'm really inspired to track one down! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

Someplace on the Intertubes, I told the story of my conversation from the nice gentleman at Kaplow who explained why the d14 (and d7 of the same shape numbered twice) are as large as they are...but I can't find it.

Suffice it to say they were caught off guard by the demand (not knowing about DCC - Fools!) and when they started getting requests last year (GenCon 2011 - from me for one) they had dice molds with 14 sides for educational use...having pictures of continents on them. So the dice had to be larger so the picture could be viewed.

So I put in another request this year to make 14-siders numbered 1-14 and 1-7 twice of a normal size. We'll see how much influence I have... ;)

Oh..and I told them about DCC and how they really should make these dice because the demand is only going to go up.....
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

Jim Skach wrote:Someplace on the Intertubes, I told the story of my conversation from the nice gentleman at Kaplow who explained why the d14 (and d7 of the same shape numbered twice) are as large as they are...but I can't find it.

Suffice it to say they were caught off guard by the demand (not knowing about DCC - Fools!) and when they started getting requests last year (GenCon 2011 - from me for one) they had dice molds with 14 sides for educational use...having pictures of continents on them. So the dice had to be larger so the picture could be viewed.

So I put in another request this year to make 14-siders numbered 1-14 and 1-7 twice of a normal size. We'll see how much influence I have... ;)

Oh..and I told them about DCC and how they really should make these dice because the demand is only going to go up.....
+1
THE ONE AND THE PRIME....NEVER FORGOTTEN
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Jim Skach wrote:I told them about DCC and how they really should make these dice because the demand is only going to go up.....
That would be a good thing. I like the quality of their dice better than the gamescience ones, even with the larger size.

I think that eventually we'll get better dice selection options and the funky dice will become more commonplace, just like regular polyhedral dice have become. I remember in the 1970's having the same problem when D&D first came out and the only dice on the market were those cheap plastic ones in rainbow colors. Didn't take long for somebody to start making better dice, and now the color choices are staggering. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”