The 100-book Appendix N reading list

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

haiiro
Far-Sighted Wanderer

The 100-book Appendix N reading list

Post by haiiro »

Inspired in part by Joseph's awesome picture at the back of the DCC RPG, I've embarked on a project to read all of Appendix N. I've never seen a comprehensive book list for Appendix N before, so I created one:

The 100-Book Appendix N Reading List

Where Gary didn't recommend a specific title/series for an author, I've recommended one myself. I didn't fiddle with it to hit a hundred on the nose, it just turned out that way. You can also download the list in PDF or Excel format.

I'm blogging about the whole project, Reading Appendix N, on Yore, and it's been a blast so far. Tracking down ancient paperbacks with lurid covers, delving into works by authors I'd never have considered on my own, and reading some great books has been a fantastic experience, and one I encourage anyone with an interest in the roots of the hobby -- or just great fantasy and SF books -- to try yourself.

Here's the kickoff post: Reading Appendix N: The project, the appendix, and the goal.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: The 100-book Appendix N reading list

Post by finarvyn »

Actually, there is a section of these boards devoted to Appendix N.
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=77

I'll probably move this thread there soon.

I'm not entirely certain what you mean by "a comprehensive book list" since in most cases Gary is pretty specific about which books he had in mind. What he didn't do is list off every book in a given series....

By the way, in general I like the concept of your list but have issues with the disproportionate number of books for some authors. For example, Edger Rice Burroughs has 11 Barsoom books, 7 Peludicar books, and 5 Venus books. As great an author as he is, in a "limited to 100" list I'd personally have a tough time assigning 23% of Appendix N to ERB.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
haiiro
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by haiiro »

finarvyn wrote:Actually, there is a section of these boards devoted to Appendix N.

:oops: My apologies for not catching that!
finarvyn wrote:I'm not entirely certain what you mean by "a comprehensive book list" since in most cases Gary is pretty specific about which books he had in mind. What he didn't do is list off every book in a given series....
I mean that -- listing every book, which makes it easier to see what you need when standing in the used bookstore, seeing what you already own or have read, etc. -- plus providing a recommendation for authors where Gary didn't list a specific title/series. The end product is a list of books you can grab and use with no additional work.
finarvyn wrote:By the way, in general I like the concept of your list but have issues with the disproportionate number of books for some authors. For example, Edger Rice Burroughs has 11 Barsoom books, 7 Peludicar books, and 5 Venus books. As great an author as he is, in a "limited to 100" list I'd personally have a tough time assigning 23% of Appendix N to ERB.
It's actually not a "limited to 100" list, it just happened to wind up being 100. It's every book Gary mentioned by name, plus every book in every series he mentioned by name, plus one recommendation per author where Gary did neither.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

haiiro wrote:
finarvyn wrote:Actually, there is a section of these boards devoted to Appendix N.
:oops: My apologies for not catching that!
No problem. We're all here to enjoy DCC and topics that relate to it. Once you're here a while longer you'll probably find all kinds of stuff hidden that you didn't know were there. I still find old threads that I missed the first time. :D

Anyway, I like the concept of the list. It's something I did for myself, but never have seen it on a board anywhere. (Also, you actually linked the books to a source. I never did anything that elaborate.)

Nice work! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

haiiro wrote:Inspired in part by Joseph's awesome picture at the back of the DCC RPG, I've embarked on a project to read all of Appendix N. I've never seen a comprehensive book list for Appendix N before, so I created one:

The 100-Book Appendix N Reading List

Where Gary didn't recommend a specific title/series for an author, I've recommended one myself. I didn't fiddle with it to hit a hundred on the nose, it just turned out that way. You can also download the list in PDF or Excel format.
Hey Haiiro, thanks a lot for posting that. It will help me to track down some of the ones that I've missed. :D
Terry Olson
bryguy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bryguy »

i'm terribly fond of the EC Comics he briefly mentioned...
terribly fond.. :mrgreen:

Return to “DCC RPG General”