Pitch me on your con

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Pitch me on your con

Post by goodmangames »

Hi everyone,

I'm putting together plans for some Goodman Games folks to potentially attend some regional conventions later this year and into next year. I have attended a lot of small cons over the years, but by no means all of them! I could use a little information on which local cons are worth attending. So, tell me if there's a local con near you that we should consider running games at. Why is it a great con? Why would the gamers there want to play DCC RPG? Pitch me on your con!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Pitch me on your con

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Have you considered running a game for DanCon? It takes place in my living room......

:lol:
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
mindshadow2k
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by mindshadow2k »

Would always be nice to see you at either MACE or ConCarolina's :)

http://www.justusproductions.com/index. ... mace/2/2/2

http://www.concarolinas.org/
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Though I have no idea of this first Con at our convention center here in Buffalo, I would love to see GG bring some much needed sunlight to this gaming void!
http://queencityconquest.com/
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

Well - it isn't until next June, but I think DCC RPG should be represented at Origins in Columbus, Ohio next year. I believe there was some off-the-books representation this year, but some official stuff would be great.

Origins is big enough to have a lot of exposure to gamers, but small enough to have a rather intimate feel still. It seems to me it is often the convention gamers come to game at while Gen Con is reserved more for socializing and such.

Not to mention the area of Columbus is pretty cool for times folks aren't gaming. Good food close by, Jeni's ice cream, etc!

I would love to see a strong DCC RPG presence at Origins in 2013!
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

Jenis is great! There's actually a store that sells it nearby.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Count Zero
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Count Zero »

Maybe you guys can put together some demo packets for people to run at local cons. That could start a grassroots movement in the community. I saw it firsthand with Savage Worlds in its infancy. I'd gladly run games at local cons.
I'm the quiet neighbor with the big freezer.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Tell me more...how did they do it for Savage Worlds?
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Texi-con is a very old-school friendly con. It's pretty small, in Ft. Worth, Texas, but I've had a great time there in the last couple of years. Jeff Dee debuted Villains and Vigilantes there a couple of years ago.

And if not that one, then the the North Texas RPG con. It's 100% old school...
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Count Zero wrote:Maybe you guys can put together some demo packets for people to run at local cons. That could start a grassroots movement in the community. I saw it firsthand with Savage Worlds in its infancy. I'd gladly run games at local cons.
I'd be up for running something of this sort at DunDraCon (I make it about 4 years out of 5) -- if I knew what this something was...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
TheRusty
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by TheRusty »

I will be running some DCC goodness at the Nashville, Tennessee Geek Media Expo, Oct 26th-28th.
http://geekmediaexpo.com/

At least one 0 level funnel, maybe a midlevel game, and maybe a 10th level visit through something like the Tomb of Horrors.
tithian
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by tithian »

Would be nice to see you at Dragonmeet in London.

Dragonmeet is the UK's biggest gaming convention, but it feels intimate. The convention takes over 2 stories of a town hall in Kensington, the admission price is nominal, and there is a lot of gaming to participate in. The list of special guests is usually excellent, featuring many of England's biggest names in the hobby and fantasy literature. Last year's highlight for me was Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone, of Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks fame.

There's a slightly different sensibility at the English game table, and I think you'd enjoy rolling some dice with us. Besides that, you could bring us some Zocchi dice.

http://www.dragonmeet.co.uk/
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

Since I'm on the East Coast and within a train-trip to a major international airport, it only makes sense that you should send me to England for Dragonmeet, Joseph. You, Harley, and Doug are much too far west. I'll start packing now. :D
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
tithian
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by tithian »

Ya'll are welcome to crash at my place.
Count Zero
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Count Zero »

goodmangames wrote:Tell me more...how did they do it for Savage Worlds?
It was interesting; the small community of players at the time just ran a lot of games at cons and made their presence known. We did on the grid and off the grid games. Pinnacle actually put a whiteboard at their booth and people could write down games they wanted to run with time and location and people would write their name under it if they were interested. Suddenly, there were Savage games all over the open gaming areas. This turned into the Explorers Society and they gave away prizes to people who ran games at cons. The prize levels were based on how many games you ran cumulatively. There were stickers, gm screens, t-shirts...all depending on how many games you ran. The prizes put even more logos into the general populace.
I'm the quiet neighbor with the big freezer.
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

michaelcurtis wrote:Since I'm on the East Coast and within a train-trip to a major international airport, it only makes sense that you should send me to England for Dragonmeet, Joseph. You, Harley, and Doug are much too far west. I'll start packing now. :D

Ha-ha. I'm the least west. I already have my requests in for both Toronto and London Mike, but of coarse we should all go!

Mind you , Harley and I are fairly compact and require super low levels of luxury. I also live by an international airport and have used it previously to travel outside the nation of chumps. I Just got back from Gen Con, and I'm still not sure Indianapolis even qualifies as a city.

I also wouldn't mind going to the Tate again.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
AJClark
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by AJClark »

I would like to suggest TotalCon, "New England's Largest Game Convention":

http://totalcon.com/

I recently moved to massachusetts so Ihaven't attended personnally, but others I know have said it's a good mix of RPG, board games, miniature games and a good mix of old and new stuff. Frank Mentzer and Tim Kask were Guest of Honor this year.

Sounds like the DCC RPG would fit right in. If you end up putting together a Demo Pack as previously mentioned I would consider running a game there next year.
romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by romprecentor »

Rock Con (Rockford, IL) has good attendance and a nice mix of all types of games. Website:

http://www.nobleminis.com/RockconWP/

Plenty of D&D and Pathfinder get run there. I think some old school would be well received there.

Also would be interested if a demo pack is formed. Every group I have funneled has loved it and come back for more. With zero level modules already to go not sure what to suggest for support. Maybe a printable proclamations/score sheet on the funnel results with some old school art on it? Or a neat character sheet to fill out for the funnel survivors, give them something cool to prompt new players to look for places to play them.
-Adananx the Awesome.

http://www.epicwords.com/campaigns/2077

Pbp Secret of Bone Hill characters:
Portly Trim, Cleric 1st (Barber) L, AC: 11, Str 10, Agi 11, Stm 8(-1), Per 11, Int 8(-1), Lck 12, hp 5, 21 cp, Razor, 2 x torches, large sack, scissors, candle, Improvised wooden buckler.
Fritz, Thief 1st, (Wainwright) C, AC: 10, Str 9, Agi 12, Stm 10, Per 16(+2), Int 12, Lck 13(+1), hp 5, 7 cp, club, flint & steel, lg sack(tomatoes), flask(water), black book, crowbar.

Return to “DCC RPG General”