Great Gen Con Dice Off

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Great Gen Con Dice Off

Post by Harley Stroh »

Great Gen Con Dice Off

What
Chance to win DCC stuff at Gen Con

Where
That's part of the challenge. You need to find me to play in the dice off. Odds are good I'll be spending time at Doug Kovac's booth in artist alley. Otherwise you will need to track me down in the wilds of Gen Con.

How
  • 1. Bring your Zocchi dice. You can't roll on the table without weird dice.

2. Agree to submit to the results of the table, be they weal or woe.

3. Daddy needs a new pair of shoes! Roll against the random table of DOOM.

4. If fortune smiles on you, you could walk away with some cool DCC stuff. But if she frowns, you may be saddled with the weight of a grim quest.
What Can I Win?
Joseph game me a bunch of Free RPG Day modules to give away. I'll also be digging through my files for older DCC prizes. Purple Sorcerer Games sent us *awesome* t-shirts, Rev Dak sent issues of Crawl!, the mighty Doug Kovacs might even kick in a print or two. I'm expecting other prizes from 3pp, but they might not get their acts together in time for the show.

What Can I Lose?
I'm still working on that, but they don't call it Woe for nothing. You might end up being Doug's hireling or something.

Again, thanks to our sponsors, Purple Sorcerer Games and Crawl! Fanzine!

See you at the con!
//H

ImageImage
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Re: Great Gen Con Dice Off

Post by DCCfan »

I can't wait to roll the bones and see what fate has in store for me out in the wilds of Gen Con. 8)
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

So ... really I don't need a set of funky dice at all. Just my lucky d24. :lol:

At GenCon tomorrow, and I'll try to look you guys up!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Back from quick hit-n-run to GenCon. Got to meet Harley and Doug and DCCFan in person. A nice time was had by all!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

So, to paraphrase Pulp Fiction, I carried this uncomfortable hunk of plastic (my d24) around in my pocket for 3 days on the chance I might run into Harley for the Dice Off. Earlier tonight (Saturday), just when I was convinced it wasn't going to happen I turn a corner on the way back to the room for the night and there he and Doug are. Up to their room we go where Harley goes to great lengths to achieve the proper presentation; pulling tables together, arranging the possible prizes (a DCC poster by Doug, some DCC 3x modules, a Purple Sorcerer DCC t-shirt, and the grand prize (if a natural 24 is rolled) a ltd. edition cover DCC corebook signed by Doug & Harley), etc.

So, the time had come, and I roll an 8 :roll: It was apparent to all that getting Doug a drink was not a big enough price to pay (as we were in their room and adult beverages were right there within reach) so they decided that I (non-drinker) had to drink instead. I was given a shot of Captain Morgan's spiced rum, which I downed without incident, though I was far from being smooth about it (there was some grimacing).

Harley said I could push my luck, so I rolled again. A 7 this time. More Captain Morgan's, more grimacing, more confirmation as to just why I'm not a drinker.

Harley says that if I choose to I can try again, BUT 3 times is definitely the maximum number of attempts one can take. I pause (I really don't want that 3rd shot of rum), but I go for it anyway and damn if I don't roll a 24 :D Much rejoicing; Harley says it was the only 24 rolled over the course of the con.

I was already having a great con but this really sent it over the top. Thanks again, guys!

Rick
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Rick wrote:...Harley says it was the only 24 rolled over the course of the con...
Are you sure this part really happened, and is not just the imaginings of a man in the throws of a drunken stupor...? :mrgreen:

Congrats, btw.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

The DCC rpg favors the bold!

Rick's rolls were the highlight of the first annual weird dice dice off ... But it was in danger of becoming a drink off.

Huge thanks to everyone that hunted me down! You guys are all awesome. Extra huge thanks to our sponsors, Crawl! zine and Purple Sorcerer Games. See you all next year!

//H

DocJohnson
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by DocJohnson »

Rick wrote:So, to paraphrase Pulp Fiction, I carried this uncomfortable hunk of plastic (my d24) around in my pocket for 3 days on the chance I might run into Harley for the Dice Off. Earlier tonight (Saturday), just when I was convinced it wasn't going to happen I turn a corner on the way back to the room for the night and there he and Doug are. Up to their room we go where Harley goes to great lengths to achieve the proper presentation; pulling tables together, arranging the possible prizes (a DCC poster by Doug, some DCC 3x modules, a Purple Sorcerer DCC t-shirt, and the grand prize (if a natural 24 is rolled) a ltd. edition cover DCC corebook signed by Doug & Harley), etc.

So, the time had come, and I roll an 8 :roll: It was apparent to all that getting Doug a drink was not a big enough price to pay (as we were in their room and adult beverages were right there within reach) so they decided that I (non-drinker) had to drink instead. I was given a shot of Captain Morgan's spiced rum, which I downed without incident, though I was far from being smooth about it (there was some grimacing).

Harley said I could push my luck, so I rolled again. A 7 this time. More Captain Morgan's, more grimacing, more confirmation as to just why I'm not a drinker.

Harley says that if I choose to I can try again, BUT 3 times is definitely the maximum number of attempts one can take. I pause (I really don't want that 3rd shot of rum), but I go for it anyway and damn if I don't roll a 24 :D Much rejoicing; Harley says it was the only 24 rolled over the course of the con.

You made your saving throws against poison, and escaped with the Dread Tome o' Knowledge. What could be better?

I was already having a great con but this really sent it over the top. Thanks again, guys!

Rick
You made your saving throws against poison, and escaped with the Dread Tome o' Knowledge. What could be better?
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

finarvyn wrote:Back from quick hit-n-run to GenCon. Got to meet Harley and Doug and DCCFan in person. A nice time was had by all!
Thanks Finarvyn. It was nice to hang out at Doug's booth and talk DCC. The dice off for the free shirt was fun as well. I got pointy stick and a dream. Love that shirt!
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10

Return to “DCC RPG General”