Random Esoteric DCC Monsters

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Colin

Random Esoteric DCC Monsters

Post by Colin »

Thought it might be fun if folks with the RECG created and shared some random beasties using it. I'll start things rolling.

Decided on a 2HD critter. Ended up with Biped, Combination (rolled bird and reptile, which fits nicely), with a Bite attack, AC 16, human-sized, walks (human speed), with a dagger-range 1d6 projectile attack, 1d6 bite, speech feature, motivation of hunger, and strategy of targeting the weakest (lowest hp).

Mingled them and came up with:

Arcoelestis
Init +2; Atk bite +3 melee (1d6) or tail volley +5 missile fire (1d6), Range 10/20/30; AC 16; HD 2d8; MV 30'; Act 1d20; SV Fort +0, Ref +4, Will -1; AL N.
Human in size, arcoelestis is a predator of striking appearance, an agile, bipedal reptilian with tough green scales and magnificent multi-hued feathers on its forearms and cresting its head. A merciless carnivore, it lures prey by mimicking the sounds of creatures it kills, attacking with a mouthful of ripping teeth and by flicking its tail forward, unleashing a small volley of long, sharp scales from the tip. Lacking in raw power and great speed, it relies on animal cunning, patience, and the weakness of its preferred prey, the weak, the injured, and the sick (lowest HP).

----
The name, by the way, is a mash-up of the Latin words for "rainbow" which seemed apt given its plumage.

cheers!
Colin
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Random Esoteric DCC Monsters

Post by Flexi »

Here is my first creation from the RECG, used as I rolled it up. Not very unusual but frightened the crap outta the party I used them on. I initially aimed for a 1HD creature but the result doubled the HD.

Ophidian
Init +1; Atk bite +6 melee (2d4) & tail +3 melee (1d6) or 4 x limbs used for subdual damage each at -1 melee (1d3); AC 15; HD 2d8; MV 30'; Act 1d20; SV Fort +3, Ref +1, Will -1; AL C.
Ophidians are semi-intelligent snake-like bipeds and are degenerate cousins to the smaller and more intelligent serpent-men.
They are slightly larger than humans and are covered in dull, black scales.
If seeking to kill for food or to defend themselves they will attack with their maws packed with sharp teeth and can also use their flexible tail to lash out at their prey as well.
They are hosts to parasites which drive them to capture humanoids, to infect them with the parasite that ophidians carry to reproduce their species. They have four flexible whip like limbs which they use to grapple and subdue a victim chosen to infect with a parasite.

They hunt in packs and will attack what they perceive to be the weakest foe first in a group of humanoids, and try to separate them from a group. Once a victim is isolated, they aim to render it unconscious with their limbs and carry them back to their lair. The victim is then infected with the parasite, which destroys the mind of the infected creature and eventually transforms it into an ophidian.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Fun stuff. If more folks roll some up we'll end up with a nice batch of random critters for everyone to make use of. :)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

And wasn't there a guy in the 3pp forums offering to do illustrations? :twisted:

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Harley Stroh wrote:And wasn't there a guy in the 3pp forums offering to do illustrations? :twisted:
Was there?

Colin
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Ah, he's offering work for publication.
Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

My Isle of the Unknown contains over 100 monsters inspired by the RECG, and each one has a full-color illustration. :mrgreen:

Click:
http://www.nobleknight.com/ProductDetai ... _GenreID_E_
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
bitflipr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bitflipr »

Geoffrey wrote:My Isle of the Unknown contains over 100 monsters inspired by the RECG, and each one has a full-color illustration. :mrgreen:

Click:
http://www.nobleknight.com/ProductDetai ... _GenreID_E_
Definitely a good resource to pull atypical creatures from.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I love the idea of this thread!

KHAMBILAEUS

Init +0; Atk hoof +5 melee (1d6+5); AC 17; HD 10d4+5; MV 60; Act 3d20; SP Camouflage, Shade Form, Charging Attack; Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +4; AL N

Fewer creatures are less nimble than the Khambilaeus, but what it lacks in dexterousness, it makes up for in speed and brute strength. A monstrosity that looks something like a couple of draft horses put together the wrong way (with parts left over), it roams underground passages, looking to satisfy its insatiable hunger. It greatly prefers to have all of it's bulky limbs able to reach surfaces all around it, so it will not enter larger chambers or passages than it is adapted to, unless powerfully motivated. All of its limbs are double-jointed, leaving no defensible angle of approach. The Khambilaeus absorbs traces of its environment through it's hooves, so that it takes on the coloring of it's surroundings, effectively making it invisible at a distance of 50 feet, with a 3-in-6 chance to surprise explorers. Further, it can become shadow-like, whereupon it is nearly invisible in low-light situations, surprising potential prey on a 5-in-6 chance. It cannot attack in this form, and can only be hit by magic or spells. When charging into melee, it can deal double it's normal number of attacks, if entering with surprise. The Khambilaeus detailed here is large enough to nearly fill a ten-by-ten corridor; others suited to other sizes and shapes of passage have been rumored...

Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
funkaoshi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by funkaoshi »

That's pretty fantastic.
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

I like it! :D
THE ONE AND THE PRIME....NEVER FORGOTTEN
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

Is this still in print or only available as a PDF?
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I hope it's still in print, because I ordered a copy last week. Speaking of which... WHERE IT AT YO
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Vanguard wrote:Is this still in print or only available as a PDF?
http://www.goodman-games.com/store-systemsneutral.html ...unless the page is not up-to-date...
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

beermotor wrote:I hope it's still in print, because I ordered a copy last week. Speaking of which... WHERE IT AT YO
Give it time. The dark gods have to assemble the machinations so that your monster forge will operate correctly, lest you create an abomination.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Vanguard wrote:
beermotor wrote:I hope it's still in print, because I ordered a copy last week. Speaking of which... WHERE IT AT YO
Give it time. The dark gods have to assemble the machinations so that your monster forge will operate correctly, lest you create an abomination.

NO I NEED IT NOWWWWW
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

I've added a new, esoteric monster to my blog: http://appendixm.blogspot.com/

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Here's something I just rolled, I thought it was kind of interesting.

Born of an accursed sorcerer’s vile attempts to synthesize a living army from vermin, True Kobolds look like small bipedal lizard men with hard, turtle-like plates on their backs, head, exterior arms and legs. Their elongate mouths are filled with razor-sharp teeth like a shark, and their long, prehensile tails give them exquisite balance and increased movement speed when swimming. But most dreaded is their ability to simply vanish into the shadows, the glowing embers of their hateful eyes the only thing visible, and only for a moment before they disappear completely... This power is what separates them from the cowardly, degenerate little lizardmen often called kobolds.

True Kobolds hate elves above all creatures, but dwarves and halflings (and any other demi-humans) are a close second. It’s thought that this is because their maker was an elf, but nobody knows for sure. They will always attack any demihumans or humanoids before humans, regardless of Luck scores. Strangely, they seem to pity the afflicted or cursed, and have been known to leave those touched by terrible magics alone, perhaps sensing a kindred spirit. They are only found deep underground, typically hunting adventuring parties. Very, very rarely, such a party might chance upon a group of True Kobolds eating the remains of another party. They have no interest in treasure or armor, though they do covet, carry, and use weapons.

True Kobolds: Init +2 (and, very often, surprise); Atk bite +1 melee (1d7+1), weapons (varies), tail slap +1 melee (1d3+1); AC 17; HD 2d4+2; No. Appearing 1d8; Mv 30’; Act 2d20 (bite/weapon, bite/tail, weapon/tail); SP shade form becomes effectively invisible in low lights or shadowy environments, 5 in 6 chance of surprising foes, cannot attack while in this form, but can only be attacked by magical weapons; Fort +1, Ref +8, Will +3; AL C.

Return to “DCC RPG General”