Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Greatest line heard in last night's DCC game
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:25 pm 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

We're working our way through the funnel. Second session, probably one more to go. Each one has been a blood-bath. After a character is frozen to death, failing to avoid the cursed idol's freeze ray while trying to pry out a gem a player says - "Do we have to level up at the end of this?". I think they are loving the funnel.

Post subject: Re: Greatest line heard in last night's DCC game
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:46 pm 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

My players are the same way, they are loving the sheer chaos of a bunch of peons running headfirst into adventured they have no business being on. I'm a little worried about being able to follow the perfectly made funnel adventures with my campaign. Have to give kudos to everyone involved in the production of this system.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:24 pm 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

I think Judges should play "Yakety Sax" (the Benny Hill song) during 0 level adventures. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:09 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

That's awesome. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:22 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

dstack wrote:
"Do we have to level up at the end of this?"

Have they SEEN the power curve?? There's a goodly jump from 0 to 1, but then it's pretty flat from there... should be plenty of "peons versus Cthulhu" feelings even at level 1 and 2.

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:31 pm 
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

jeff wrote:
I think Judges should play "Yakety Sax" (the Benny Hill song) during 0 level adventures. :lol:

So true. I may make a player roll out a Jackie Wright character so people can slap his bald head.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:57 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Karaptis wrote:
jeff wrote:

So true. I may make a player roll out a Jackie Wright character so people can slap his bald head.

Please make the image now in my head of Hill's Angels transmogrifying into horrible harpies and worse go away...!

...though that could be a fun encounter to spring on a group... :twisted:

Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters - Holds the power to play gnomes at will!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

General Yoros, Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8 (10), Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Lck 8; Law, HP 39, AC 17, R+2, F+4, W+2, band/shld, warhammer, longsword, longbow, pitchfork

Han Dee, (Weaver) Neutral Thief, Str 10, Agi 13, Stm 11, Per 11, Int 15, Lck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25, Luck Die d6, Backstab 3, Sneak Silently 10, Hide In Shadows 9, Pick Pocket 10, Climb Sheer 10, Pick Lock 9, Find Trap 9, Disable Trap 9, Forge Doc 10, Disguise 3, Read Lang 5, Handle Poison 3, Cast Scroll d14+2, birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills), Banepicks (auto pick lock/disable trap, but lose 1d3 random ability loss, if a 3 then 1 pt is perm)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:45 pm 
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

And at the end of the adventure make everyone under the effect of a haste spell!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:23 pm 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Even when the funnel is over I still give each player 0-level characters if they "find" them in the game. So there's always a bunch of cannon-fodder. It also doesn't make me feel too bad when I kill off a few level 1's here and there. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:52 pm 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Quote:
Even when the funnel is over I still give each player 0-level characters if they "find" them in the game. So there's always a bunch of cannon-fodder. It also doesn't make me feel too bad when I kill off a Yfew level 1's here and there.

Yes. I agree with BigIron but have taken it a step further.

Make the funnel ongoing.
Frees the DM for killing. Frees the players to keep loving the funnel. . No reason to destroy the love of zero when it is so easily amended.

I would also add : never run a game without zero levels in the mix. Make them dogs if you have to., but definitely include "finding" in every adventure. Maybe let the new zeros get the dead adventurers stuff and add some post-history as to why that adventurer's death meant so much to them. Brother? Friend? Mentor? Idol? Enemy?Lover? I can imagine a spell book having a longer history than it's owners.

http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:27 am 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

jeff wrote:

I love this idea so much I'm going to do it.

"The Shamrock Shake is a frosty, minty symbol of all that we hold dear. It is shameful that we as a people cannot enjoy this proud, symbolic beverage any more than one week a year. Unless the British government loosens its iron grip on this most Irish of shakes, the streets will once again run red with English blood." - Gerry Adams, leader of Sinn Fein, the IRA's political wing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:31 pm 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Doug Kovacs wrote:

Make the funnel ongoing.
Frees the DM for killing. Frees the players to keep loving the funnel.

I can imagine a spell book having a longer history than it's owners.

+1 for for having an ongoing funnel.
Nice idea to retain a fallen character's spellbook too, to be taken up by an upcoming 0 level character.