Augusta, Georgia

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

DocJohnson
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Augusta, Georgia

Post by DocJohnson »

My name is Edgar, and I'm 43 years old. I'm a professor (rhetoric an media studies) at a large state school in Georgia (USA). I like to spend a lot of my time at home, in solitary pursuits of various sorts, but I also like hanging out with The Wife and The Daughter, watching movies or TV, or playing Yahtzee or Munchkin.

I started playing D&D back in about 1979 (Holmes Blue Box), with a kid in my neighborhood in Atlanta. His dad was an Alaskan oil pipeline worker who was always out of town. His parents compensated by buying him just about everything he wanted, including a whole lot of cool gaming stuff. After that, I went on to AD&D, or at least our version of it. I also started collecting games, including pretty much everything TSR was putting out during the early 80s, except Boothill, which I always sort of regretted not trying. I also had Aftermath, Bushido, Traveler, Gamma World, Car Wars, Starfleet Battles, Space Opera, and a whole lot of others. Pretty much every time I had money, I was down at the FLGS to give it to them. Needless to say, I did a lot of gaming up until about the mid-80s, and (even more so) planning the games I wanted to play.

I sort of drifted away from gaming when I discovered punk rock and various other aspects of weirdo culture in the early 80s, and of course booze, girls, and all of that teenaged stuff. I still had my game collection, though, even if it was gathering dust. It wasn't until I was in the military (Marines), later in the 80s and early 90s, that I came back to gaming with some of the folks I served with. The game of choice was GURPS Supers, and it was a LOT of fun. After I got out, I went back to college, and had a regular (weekly) AD&D game for about two years. It was a great group I was playing with, too, so that was about the most fun I'd had up until recently.

I didn't do any gaming between about 1994 and 2008, as I was in grad school, getting married, having kids, etc. Then I met a friend at an industrial music event, here in town. He wanted to know if I'd been interested in playing something called Warhammer (WFRP 2nd ed.). I said, "sure," and we played that for a while, Dark Heresy for about the last three years, and pretty soon DCC. I like Dark Heresy, but I'm getting a bit burned out on it. I like the game a lot, but it's sort of... confining, I guess. I don't feel like I'm able to be as creative with it as I'd like to, and that friend of mine is a walking encyclopedia of the Warhammer 40k universe. He's not a dick about it, at all, but there's something about having to GM for someone who knows "The World" better than you do that makes it very difficult to feel like you're doing everything "right."

I'm a pretty creative person, and prefer to work within worlds of my own design. DCC seems like a great vehicle for doing that. I'm very excited to run it for my group when we finish up the current Dark Heresy campaign. I'll probably also try to run a session for my 10 year old daughter, Lucy, sometime soon.

Most of the time I GM, but I also like being a player. My favorite class to play has always been the cleric, for some reason. A friend of mine claims that a person's personality can be summed up by picking two Firefly characters. Everyone agreed that mine were Book (the priest) and Jane (the thuggish, over-armed mercenary), so that may explain my affinity for clerics. My last, best cleric was Kormaki (Neutral, 8th level) who was taken along with his party by slavers in the very first session of the 1st level campaign. He was committed to Orgoz, the god of battle, and made it his business (after escaping) to root out the slaver lords, root and branch. That served as the meta-narrative for the various things we did in that campaign. It was a good one, and I still have that character sheet, just in case Kormaki ever needs to come out of retirement.
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Wizard's Asylum

Re: Augusta, Georgia

Post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

Welcome aboard! I look forward to seeing what you have to share.
Charlie
----------------------------------------------------
I (mainly) blog about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.

Reading: The Lair of Bones by David Farland.

Return to “DCC RPG General”