Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: All those tables...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:26 am 
Ill-Fated Peasant

Hi folks,

I'm just about to start a game with the regular crowd (they don't know what I have in store for 'em - Sailors on the Starless Sea).

I can't help worrying that I'll struggle with all those tables. OK spells won't be an issue for zero level characters but what do you do after that?

I have one copy of the hard-cover rule book and no other play aids. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: All those tables...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:18 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Hey, Mike, I got your back here.

First thing you do is scurry over to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=14791

First post, fourth item down should be "reference sheets." Download 'em. What I did was to print them out booklet style and put some covers on them and hand them out to my players. The reference sheets have all of the important stuff you need, such as crit and fumble tables. I also put together an index to the reverence table booklet and printed it out for in-game reference.

While you are in the thread, look around. Other good stuff there, too. 8)

Let me know if you have additional questions or issues.

DCC RPG playtester 2011, C&C playtester 2003,T&T since 2003,
ADRP Since 1993, OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:23 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Put a colored "flag" sticky note on the page with the background profession table, and put another one on the equipment table. That's all you need tabbed to start the game.

I printed a 30-some-odd page of cheat sheet tables prepared by someone else that I found online, it's got the critical and fumble tables in it. That's really all you need for 0-level play.

So, 4 tables, total? What're you fretting about?!

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:26 am 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

My own rule book has a sticky note on the fumble/crit page (p.80+) in Combat and another on Monsters Fumble (p.392)

That solve most of the page flipping during the game...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:30 am 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

What I've done for people new to the game is hand out those mini-character sheets, 3d6 and tell them to roll the stats for all of their characters at once. When the entire group is finished, I do professions. Have your players call out their rolls one at a time and circle around the table until all are finished. Repeat for the random equipment and luck tables, and get adventuring. Shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes and it's really a lot of fun.

Edit: And definitely grab the reference sheets.

Last edited by Vanguard on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:34 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

finarvyn wrote:
First post, fourth item down should be "reference sheets." Download 'em. What I did was to print them out booklet style and put some covers on them and hand them out to my players. The reference sheets have all of the important stuff you need, such as crit and fumble tables. I also put together an index to the reverence table booklet and printed it out for in-game reference.

+1d

That little booklet makes running the game a lot easier!

Also, consider making yourself some good Judge's Screens. Mine were made with cardboard, printed pages, and clear packaging tape. I printed some of the art from the DCC books for the player side, and important tables for my side. I did several versions, 'cause there is a lot of cool art to display, and a lot of good tables to have available.

I am also working on a screen where both sides use pockets, so that the exterior art and interior tables can be changed when I want. For this screen, I Googled a lot of pulp fantasy art and Heavy Metal album art....I really just looked for pictures appropriate to the genre. Then I printed them in full colour!

Best of luck!

Daniel

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:06 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Welcome, Hogscape!

When your PCs start getting spells, I'd suggest photocopying the spell tables for them. (Or printing from the PDF, if you have it.) The players can bind their own spell books, they have a cool prop, and it takes some of the work off your plate. (Plus there is a real sense of accomplishment as the physical spell book grows as they acquire more spells.)

When I run higher level games at cons, I usually bring a "spell book" for each of the casters. Even if it is only their first DCC game, players catch on pretty quickly.

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:55 am 
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Harley Stroh wrote:
Welcome, Hogscape!

When your PCs start getting spells, I'd suggest photocopying the spell tables for them. (Or printing from the PDF, if you have it.) The players can bind their own spell books, they have a cool prop, and it takes some of the work off your plate. (Plus there is a real sense of accomplishment as the physical spell book grows as they acquire more spells.)

When I run higher level games at cons, I usually bring a "spell book" for each of the casters. Even if it is only their first DCC game, players catch on pretty quickly.

//H

This is a cool idea.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:56 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Skyscraper wrote:
Harley Stroh wrote:
Welcome, Hogscape!

//H

This is a cool idea.

Cooler to hand-copy it into a journal! More personal prop.

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:13 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

That's pretty hardcore, BM. I like it.

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:18 am 
Ill-Fated Peasant

Thanks for the link Vinarvyn, and the excellent tips from everyone else.

I have some sticky tabs and I'm ready to mark up my book.

While I'm here, does anyone know if the PDF is cheaper if you already have the physical book?

Thanks heaps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:13 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Hogscape wrote:
While I'm here, does anyone know if the PDF is cheaper if you already have the physical book?
No "bundle" or print+PDF deals as far as I know.

If you're thinking of printing off spell pages, you might consider the Beta PDF as your source.
1. Most spells seem to be about the same in the Beta as the final version (although the final version has more of them).
2. The layout of the Beta is (mostly) one spell per page.

I picked up some "parchment" paper with the intent of printing out spell pages, and rather than copy-paste-reformat I decided just to use the Beta spells. Has worked pretty well for me so far...

DCC RPG playtester 2011, C&C playtester 2003,T&T since 2003,
ADRP Since 1993, OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:41 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

There's a lot of statistics that show that you remember stuff much better when you write it out (even more than typing). I'd encourage them to recopy the spell information in their own words, too, tables and all. I mean, you don't get that many, right? Plus you get a cool prop and stuff. Even if a 100 page bound journal is mostly blank, I think it's cooler than a "spellbook" of 3 printed pages.

Plus, let's say PC gets whacked somewhere. You can later have another PC recover the spellbook, and hand them the prop. Oooh, ahhh...
:-)

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:27 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

beermotor wrote:
There's a lot of statistics that show that you remember stuff much better when you write it out (even more than typing).
As a big fan of learning styles, and a bit of a statistical anomaly in that regard as well, I'd like to just add that those statistics only apply to people that have that learning style...

I, for example, near-completely forget everything I write (by hand or machine) the instant I have finished writing it - my brain only holds on to the information by remembering where I wrote it down.

Every other method of learning, though, I have high proficiency with (hearing, seeing, doing, and reading).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:22 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Interesting, never heard that. Well, writing it certainly works for me, much better than typing. Which is weird. Probably because I type like I talk.

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:27 pm 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Vanguard wrote:
What I've done for people new to the game is hand out those mini-character sheets, 3d6 and tell them to roll the stats for all of their characters at once. When the entire group is finished, I do professions. Have your players call out their rolls one at a time and circle around the table until all are finished. Repeat for the random equipment and luck tables, and get adventuring. Shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes and it's really a lot of fun.

Edit: And definitely grab the reference sheets.

I will be using this method myself. 8)