Curious about the DCC RPG crowd...

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

When did you first role-play?

in the 70s, at Gary's house
10%
AD&D in the very early 80s, aka REAL old-timers
37%
in 1982 (Erol Otus Red Box, D&D 9th printing)
30%
when AD&D 2nd edition came out
15%
when D&D 3rd edition came out
3%
in the 21st century
4%
I've never actually "role-played" yet, but I will!
1%

Total votes: 164

meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Curious about the DCC RPG crowd...

Post by meinvt »

First played: '80 AD&D run by my cousin while babysitting me and my younger sister. I was seven.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

tovokas wrote:
Zeiros wrote:
Jim Skach wrote:1978/7th Grade - Holmes Blue Box. Quickly Mashed in AD&D...Moved to AD&D fully within about 18 months....
Exact same thing here...Born in 66'...
Good grief guys, exact same thing here, down to dates and grade. I remember I was in the library at school, and I overheard a friend talking about what I later learned was a Rod of Lordly Might. Something electric went off in my head, and I knew I had to learn more...
Also Born in '66...of course...

IIRC, my older brother bought the Holmes Blue Box because he was into Tollkien as was I. He was a senior in HS and for some reason just kind of...well...didn't take to it. So he kind of left it to me. At which point neurons I not in use for anything in particular went nuts. Then, and I'm not clear about the exact nature of the incident, one of the kids in my homeroom and I discovered we were both under he spell...and he had friends with whom he was already playing..and I fell in with that group.

From then on, my grades were never the same...
ScrivenerB
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ScrivenerB »

Earlier DOB, but otherwise largely the same Holmes-->AD&D tale. I bought the AD&D books as they came out. MM, then PHB, then finally (after an agonizing wait) the DMG.

Before Holmes I'd seen the white box and its expansions in the stores where I bought wargames and always found D&D looked intriguing, but also a more than a bit hard to figure out--perhaps because my gaming background was entirely Avalon Hill/SPI at that time, so no knowledge of miniatures systems or terminology. To me white box looked like a bunch of notes rather than a finished game. I'd bought TSR's star empires already and been largely flummoxed by it, so I was a little gunshy when it came to their products. The Holmes set was exactly what the doctor ordered. :)
lordmhor
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by lordmhor »

I seem to have become ancient without paying much attention to the passage of time. Such is life. I began playing D&D in 1977, not at Gary's house exactly but close enough for a 17 year old living in California. This is the same year I began fighting on the field with the SCA. I knew I was addicted when I found myself writing up new weapons and armor tables for the original Arduin Grimoire. Dave Hargrave signed my copy of his second book at one of the first Dundracon conventions, where we had a lively discussion of the virtues of the M60 machine gun. He was a Vietnam War veteran and knew that of which he spoke.

I've been involved in this hobby since then. I was one of the play-testers on the original Runequest and Call of Cthulhu releases, where we played in the dank basement of the Chaosium facility in Albany, CA. I also had the honor of playing with the "Tuesday Night Group" that play-tested the original Champions game. My latest play-testing forays have been Arduin Eternal, Castles & Crusades, and my recently-aborted pursuit of D&D Next (5th edition).

Why did I abort it? Well, I ran into DCC RPG and lost interest in Hasbro activities. I now own several sets of Funky Dice. I've thrown in on the Purple Sorcerer Games Kickstarter with their excellent automation tools for DCC RPG.

I'm excited. I've begun reviewing Appendix N works, having read many of them long ago, and I believe DCC RPG is an excellent system for experiencing the "Swords & Sorcery" genre. Anon!
That which does not kill us makes us LINGER.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Christmas 1979.

And I'm only 45; I'm not old.

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Hoggarth
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Hoggarth »

Although I'm old enough to have played in the mid 70's (and I wish I had), I didn't start until D&D 3.5 was released.
M2A0
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by M2A0 »

My first D&D was the Mentzer Red Box in 86. I started with LBB Traveller in 83, and also played some Star Frontiers before I tried fantasy out.
Last edited by M2A0 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
oktoberguard
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by oktoberguard »

I started with the red box Basic set in '91... played that for a while before moving on to Palladium/TMNT/Rifts through high school.
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

First played in early '80's with cousins during summer visits, I was 8yo, but I didn't start running games until after I saved up my allowance to buy the Red Box edition when I was 10. Most of the serious gaming for my friends and I was done with 1st and 2nd editions.
Sunderstone
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Sunderstone »

Moldvay 1981
a.k.a. Mithriltooth
Dark Lord
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Dark Lord »

The 1980s with the Redbox. We first started doing it at Civil War reenactments. Then our parents saw the D&D boxes and went bonkers because role playing would lead to Satan worship, you know; they didn't see the irony of saying that in 19th century CSA uniforms.

So then we just started doing it diceless. We used "pick a number" or "rock paper scissors" but more often than not if you entertained the GM and made your character do something cool you succeeded.

From there, as I became a teenager I just started playing when my parents weren't home. I moved on to 2nd Edition, and then back to Rules Cyclopedia when it came out, because we already covered almost everything in 2nd ed with our simpler house rules and RC collected everything together nicely. :lol:

Then we went to Palladium fantasy (1st ed Revised), and the RPG world just opened up from there.
Witchfinder
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Witchfinder »

It was either '78 or '79 with the Holmes set and I would have been 11 years old. A friend down the street had it along with a smattering of LBB which came from his older brother. In my first game I played a fighter with a spear that was killed by a gargoyle.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

79/80 with the blue holmes edition. then quickly got into the first red "Basic" & "Expert" but eventually played AD&D exclusively. Bought but played very little 2nd edition.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
WarLokk
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by WarLokk »

Vanguard wrote:Am I the only youngun?
I'm 26. Starting Playing with the tail end of 2nd Edition in the late 90's and then 3rd Edition soon after. Now I love DCC :D
Bored & Sorcery - My Blog about RPGs, Tabletop Wargames and Other Nerdery
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

WarLokk wrote:
I'm 26. Starting Playing with the tail end of 2nd Edition in the late 90's and then 3rd Edition soon after. Now I love DCC :D
I hope that the DCC RPG, along with the other strong 'old school' systems will spur interest in 'younger' players who haven't had much opportunity to experience this style of play. I know many of us here are a bit grayer than we'd perhaps like, but I can't believe that the things that got us so excited 25-35 years ago can't trigger the same sort of response in creative types today. My son is twelve, knows his way around an xbox and games like Skyrim like nobody's business, but he LOVES the DCC RPG.

And welcome Warlokk!
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Sunderstone wrote:Image
Moldvay 1981
+1 but 83
imperialus
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Sentry Box

Post by imperialus »

Started playing in 92/93 ish. Grade 7.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

I think it was real early 80's. Old Moldvay Red Basic & Blue Expert boxed sets. Awesome stuff. I still have them today.

The Keep on the Borderlands FOREVER!!!!!!
(if you dont know what that is- find out!)
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

X2 (Castle Amber) and B3 (Palace of the Silver Princess) were awesome too!

Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

tovokas wrote:
WarLokk wrote:
I hope that the DCC RPG, along with the other strong 'old school' systems will spur interest in 'younger' players who haven't had much opportunity to experience this style of play. I know many of us here are a bit grayer than we'd perhaps like, but I can't believe that the things that got us so excited 25-35 years ago can't trigger the same sort of response in creative types today. My son is twelve, knows his way around an xbox and games like Skyrim like nobody's business, but he LOVES the DCC RPG.

And welcome Warlokk!
I heard WotC were reprinting the 1E books right about the same time DCC showed up on my radar. I had originally planned to snag the 1E books, but, after playing DCC I'm not sure it's necessary.

DCC RPG is the most fun I've had with a game since I began playing. In the ten years I've been in the hobby, I've played 3.0, 3.X, Star Wars 4th Edition, V:tM, Mage, Werewolf, Shadowrun, BESM, The Burning Wheel, Pathfinder (plus wargames like WH40k, WHFB, Warmachine), and none of them even come close to the awesomeness of DCC RPG. Burning Wheel is my other favorite, but it is a very different animal.

It really came along at the right time, too, as I had just finished up an 8-month long campaign and was really burned out on the rules bloat of those systems.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I hear you about the rules bloat.

It isn't just that there are too many rules in some of these games for easy play, but some of them expect you to do far too much work for the play value you get. My rule of thumb is that, for every hour's prep time, I want to get at least 2 hours play value....and I try to reach as much as 5 hours. With even mid-level 3.5, my experiences were the exact opposite.

Say I want to create an encounter where seaside villagers are part shark, to varying degrees, and much fun ensues as the PCs deal with this. I need to ask myself, "How can I best express this in this rule system?" In DCC, this is pretty straightforward, and takes 10-15 minutes work at most. When I tried to write this scenario for 3.x, I had been working for some six hours, writing various templates, looking up others, doing math, etc., and I hadn't even started writing the encounters yet....!

I will always be grateful for the WotC that made 3.0, for the OGL if for no other reason, and for rekindling my love for the hobby. But it is Goodman Games, and the DCC RPG, that took that ember and fanned it into flame. The design team identified the same issues I did, and they came up with better solutions than mine were. I haven't enjoyed gaming so much since 1979-1980.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

Raven_Crowking wrote:I hear you about the rules bloat.

It isn't just that there are too many rules in some of these games for easy play, but some of them expect you to do far too much work for the play value you get. My rule of thumb is that, for every hour's prep time, I want to get at least 2 hours play value....and I try to reach as much as 5 hours. With even mid-level 3.5, my experiences were the exact opposite.

Say I want to create an encounter where seaside villagers are part shark, to varying degrees, and much fun ensues as the PCs deal with this. I need to ask myself, "How can I best express this in this rule system?" In DCC, this is pretty straightforward, and takes 10-15 minutes work at most. When I tried to write this scenario for 3.x, I had been working for some six hours, writing various templates, looking up others, doing math, etc., and I hadn't even started writing the encounters yet....!

I will always be grateful for the WotC that made 3.0, for the OGL if for no other reason, and for rekindling my love for the hobby. But it is Goodman Games, and the DCC RPG, that took that ember and fanned it into flame. The design team identified the same issues I did, and they came up with better solutions than mine were. I haven't enjoyed gaming so much since 1979-1980.
Yes, encounters in 3.5/Pathfinder take far too long to plan AND playthrough.

Example: The final "boss" of my campaign, an Ancient Black Dragon, took my party 3 hours to kill. The combat was only 5 rounds long. That's 30 seconds of "in-game" time.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Icetower
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Icetower »

Picked the best option: 1982, but I started before that, white and blue dragon edition.
-Daniel W. Cisek-
See my gaming blog at orcsamongus!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Is there still room to join the Holmes/AD&D mish-mash group, because, hey!, I'm already a member...!

For two or three years, several interconnected circles of friends had a blast running bizarre/surreal homemade dungeons one after another after another for each other.

Those were the days.

Oh, the way Glenn Miller played...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Dumnbunny
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Kapow Comics, Cards and Games

Post by Dumnbunny »

I started out with BD&D back in high school, 1981-ish.

Return to “DCC RPG General”